People are so done with Covid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckily, people being extra (or even ridiculously) cautious aren't, even potentially, hurting anyone. So, while it may seem nutty that your neighbor walks their dog alone outside in a mask, it's not harmful.

I was driving from one store to another the other day, alone on my car, with my mask on because I didn't want to keep taking it on and off. I remember thinking "probably getting some snide remarks from other people watching me like this"...and then I remembered I don't care what those people think.
Haha! I drove from subway to Kroger, across the plaza, with my mask on because I didn’t feel like taking it off and putting it back on.

Have you considered that this person might be seriously immunocompromised? I have a friend who is a kidney transplant recipient. He's in his early 50s and single and was a bit over a year post transplant when Covid hit. He was really just starting to feel good and was hitting his stride, and then Covid flipped his world upside down. He waited, like the rest of us for the vaccine and has received both doses of the Moderna vaccine. And he has not generating any detectable antibodies to the virus.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210324170811.htm

My DH is 6 years post kidney transplant. (has it really been that long??? :woohoo: ) He has been at home since mid-March 2020; only has gone out to a Walmart once (to pick up a heavy chair that was delivered to the FedEx depot in the store) and to the doctor/lab visits. Other than that, he does walks in our neighborhood (we live next to a 'trail'). He has been wearing a mask anytime he steps out of the house for anything, santizes if he can't wash hands, washes when he can. His immune system is very delicate; he's battled HBP since his kidneys failed; and he's developed diabetes since the transplant.

While catching COVID might be just a 'cold' to some, to him, it could be a death sentence. Just as catching measles or mumps or even the flu could be. So he's extra cautious. He's always done the hand sanitizer/hand washing thing; avoiding touching others; he doesn't get ice or fountain drinks (only bottled, and he cleans the bottle before opening), or fresh veggies at a restaurant (do they clean them properly? he doesn't know). He avoids the sun (long sleeves, pants and hats, and sunscreen), which is fun in FL. Things like that are just a part of life now, since the transplant. The COVID situation...just added another small layer onto his routines (the masks).

Anyways, they are going to check his antibodies at the beginning of May, as that puts him at 2ish months post vax. He got his vaxx Feb 1/Mar 2, Moderna.

He goes back to work in office next month, as we will all be vaccinated by then. He's trying to get HR to give him some extra space in the office, either by expanding his cubical by another 3-4 feet, or by giving him a small office; we would pay for an air filtration thing to go there. His office took advantage of the year away, and expanded; they now have 2 floors in the office building; and since they were upgrading the electrical/wiring anyways, they had the HVAC system upgraded, with really good filtration units.

His office has had 4 people test positive; all 4 are anti-mask, anti-vaxx, conspiracy theory type people. One went on vacation in December, out of state; 1 went to Miami Beach last month for 'spring break' (although he's at least 26); 1 attended an out of state wedding that was no-mask, indoors, over 100 people, back in January; and the last thinks he got it because of conspiracy to get a 5G chip in him (but it was most likely that he caught it as he went about his 'daily life' with no precautions) last fall. These are the only 4 out of over 70 in the office, who have come down ill, and DH is the only one still working from home (everyone else went back in January).

Luckily, people being extra (or even ridiculously) cautious aren't, even potentially, hurting anyone.
I beg to differ. These are the people in my area (Michigan) yelling the loudest that the state needs to be shut down again, kids can’t go to school in person, sports should be stopped, restaurants should be closed, etc etc. I’m totally fine if people who are scared want to live in a bubble forever, but I have a big problem with those who are refusing a vaccine and still think the world should pause until Covid “goes away”.
At some point in the next month, anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get it. At that point, the responsibility is on the individual to protect themselves.
Exactly.
What's sad is that half a million people are dead and people still don't care.
What a ridiculous comment. It’s possible to care that people have died but also believe that life has to go on.

why why why why??!?! I just do not understand why folks are not getting a vaccine when doing so can help stop the spread of this disease? You’ll be surprised if the country gets to 60% ... and this is why it won’t. This “fear” of the vaccine baffles me. Folks will readily eat all sorts of processed foods, smoke, etc., much of which can have long term negative effects. People will risk getting COVID19, saying it’s not a big deal, but there seem to be potential long term effects, like neurological effects. The whole thing completely baffles me .
Rant over. Carry on.

Well I for one will not get it, and that’s my choice. Also if I was older and had health issues, maybe. But I will pass on a shot that I have a 99% chance of surviving. But one thing is they are saying...get the shot but continue social distancing and wearing a mask. That in my opinion is making a lot of people hesitant. Why get it if you can’t return to normal once you get it? I mean a vaccine for something like this should sell itself, right? Why all the pushing, urging, and dumb telethon type stuff? I’m over the whole thing. I’ve done life pretty much as pre pandemic as possible. I rarely wear mask, been in crowds, sat close to others. It’s time we protect the vulnerable and move on.

Last edited:

Well I for one will not get it, and that’s my choice. But one thing is they are saying...get the shot but continue social distancing and wearing a mask. That in my opinion is making a lot of people hesitant. Why get it if you can’t return to normal once you get it? I mean a vaccine for something like this should sell itself, right? Why all the pushing, urging, and dumb telethon type stuff? I’m over the whole thing. I’ve done life pretty much as pre pandemic as possible. I rarely wear mask, been in crowds, sat close to others. It’s time we protect the vulnerable and move on.

I am with you. Same here. I am on the fence with the vaccine. Haven't decided either way. We need to get back to personal responsibility. Do what you what each person needs to feel protected. Stop judging each other for what they are or aren't doing.

I am with you. Same here. I am on the fence with the vaccine. Haven't decided either way. We need to get back to personal responsibility. Do what you what each person needs to feel protected. Stop judging each other for what they are or aren't doing.

I’ll decide whether or not to get it once the long term effects have been figured out. Agree 100% on we all need to personal responsibility. If you want to get the shot, get it. If you want to wear a half a dozen masks go right ahead. But don’t judge me for my choices.

I’ll decide whether or not to get it once the long term effects have been figured out. Agree 100% on we all need to personal responsibility. If you want to get the shot, get it. If you want to wear a half a dozen masks go right ahead. But don’t judge me for my choices.

Exactly! As a whole society is moving forward and working towards normal, its coming faster than some like but with the availability of vaccines the steps forward are being made. I know our county district for schools is not planning a virtual learning option for kids, those that want it will have to use the virtual school through the state or just go back to plain old homeschool and also are strongly leaning to masks optional.

I agree with you. We started this a year ago with “2 weeks to flatten the curve”. Somehow that turned into “life can’t get back to normal until everyone is vaccinated”. And now many of those who are vaccinated still seem to be anxious about returning to normal life. It’s scary, to be honest.

could of been two weeks but to many selfish people who didn’t care and got covid than spread it to others. Might never end. But of course this is almost every country just not the USA.

its funny when the people wearing two masks or more have different color masks so people can see they are wearing two or more masks.

Have you considered that this person might be seriously immunocompromised? I have a friend who is a kidney transplant recipient. He's in his early 50s and single and was a bit over a year post transplant when Covid hit. He was really just starting to feel good and was hitting his stride, and then Covid flipped his world upside down. He waited, like the rest of us for the vaccine and has received both doses of the Moderna vaccine. And he has not generating any detectable antibodies to the virus.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210324170811.htm

I recently read this information about antibody testing and the vaccine. I hope this person's doctor knows the "right" antibody test to use (if there is a "right" one available to the community).

Can antibody tests determine if the COVID-19 vaccine was effective?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) discourages antibody testing for assessing immunity after getting the vaccine.
A vaccinated person is very likely to get a negative result from a serology test, even if the vaccine was successful and protective. That’s because different serology tests detect antibodies to different parts of the virus.

Some tests detect antibodies to the spike protein of the virus, which are produced in response to viral infection or the vaccine. Others detect antibodies to a different part of the virus called the nucleocapsid protein, which are produced in response to infection, but not by the current vaccines.
MD Anderson’s Blood Bank uses an antibody test designed to detect antibodies to the nucleocapsid protein, which means donors who have received the COVID-19 vaccine will likely receive a negative antibody test result.
“A vaccinated person should not be alarmed or worried if they receive a negative antibody test result because this test does not detect antibodies from the Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccines, which were developed against the spike protein of the virus,” says Fernando Martinez, M.D., medical director of Laboratory Medicine. “This reinforces the guidance from the CDC that serology tests should not be used to test for immunity.”

Well I for one will not get it, and that’s my choice. Also if I was older and had health issues, maybe. But I will pass on a shot that I have a 99% chance of surviving. But one thing is they are saying...get the shot but continue social distancing and wearing a mask. That in my opinion is making a lot of people hesitant. Why get it if you can’t return to normal once you get it? I mean a vaccine for something like this should sell itself, right? Why all the pushing, urging, and dumb telethon type stuff? I’m over the whole thing. I’ve done life pretty much as pre pandemic as possible. I rarely wear mask, been in crowds, sat close to others. It’s time we protect the vulnerable and move on.

Getting the vaccine is how we, as a society, protect the vulnerable...and move on. We get the vaccine to protect ourselves, but also others. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to grasp. And we are given guidance to continue to wear a mask and physically distance from others in public while cases are still high and variants emerge. It's a race between vaccines and the variants. Masking and physically distancing is a temporary situation as we race to vaccinate people. It's as simple as that.

Getting the vaccine is how we, as a society, protect the vulnerable...and move on. We get the vaccine to protect ourselves, but also others. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to grasp. And we are given guidance to continue to wear a mask and physically distance from others in public while cases are still high and variants emerge. It's a race between vaccines and the variants. Masking and physically distancing is a temporary situation as we race to vaccinate people. It's as simple as that.

I feel like people either don't understand the concept of the variant running amok or maybe they just don't really care. Maybe if I was 30, I wouldn't care. I think because I'm now at that precarious age of 57, I know a COVID infection could go either way for me. Statistics are great until you're one of the few who get it. My 62 y/o cousin just got COVID in March and she's in a long term care facilty now with no end in sight. She was not an old, feeble person either. I know the regular flu can kill also, but it certainly doesn't seem as peculiar as COVID in how victims suffer. It's very odd for sure.

I'd love very much to move on and get back to normal, but as long as a great percentage of people decide they won't vaccinate or do any behaviors to curb spread, the variants are going to keep on keepin' on. We'll get more types, and they will adapt and perfect themselves as they mutate to better attach to hosts. It's like we can't even move forward because people just don't want to do anything. Imagine if those attitudes had existed with polio. Do we really want to wait until a version mutates that *might* wreak more havoc in the young? Will that be the wake up call?

Last edited:
could of been two weeks but to many selfish people who didn’t care and got covid than spread it to others. Might never end. But of course this is almost every country just not the USA.
It was never going to be 2 weeks, that just wasn’t a realistic amount of time. And I think it’s unfair to blame it on “selfish” people. Most everyone I believe took it very seriously those 2 weeks and even longer.

Maybe if I was 30, I wouldn't care. I think because I'm not at that precarious age of 57, I know a COVID infection could go either way for me.
I don't mean any disrespect but I hate when people act like this. I'm 32 almost 33, my husband is 31, my sister-in-law is 29, her boyfriend is 31. We all desperately wanted the vaccine. We absolutely did care. And people in our circle older than you in a more precarious situation than you didn't care as much about getting the vaccine. I just hate that people talk like being younger means you're totally fine with getting it or with not getting a vaccine and being older somehow means you actually do care and are racing out to get the vaccine. People of all ages and demographics have different opinions on it that's for sure.

It was never going to be 2 weeks, that just wasn’t a realistic amount of time. And I think it’s unfair to blame it on “selfish” people. Most everyone I believe took it very seriously those 2 weeks and even longer.

I call it like I see it.

I don't mean any disrespect but I hate when people act like this. I'm 32 almost 33, my husband is 32, my sister-in-law is 29, her boyfriend is 32. We all desperately wanted the vaccine. We absolutely did care. And people in our circle older than you in a more precarious situation than you didn't care as much about getting the vaccine. I just hate that people talk like being younger means you're totally fine with getting it or with not getting a vaccine and being older somehow means you actually do care and are racing out to get the vaccine.

Your overreading into my comments. I wasn't blanketing across the 30 year old demographic. I said "Maybe if I was 30, I wouldn't care..." That's me and knowing what my 30 year old self was like. I never got a flu shot until I was 55 years old. I felt like I was healthy enough to survive anything. Thinking back to my 30 year old self, I most certainly would have not been worried so much about the virus. Just me. Not you, not the other 30 year old down the street from me. I know plenty of 20-somethings, and 30 somethings that are very worried about getting sick. I know several oldies who don't care at all, terrified of a vaccine, and can't manage to keep their mask above their nose. I wasn't making a sweeping statement about your age group.

Last edited:
I only know 2 people out of everyone in "my circle" who got COVID and they got it at work and never spread it to anyone in their circle, not even the people they live with.
This surprises me. I know about 10 co-workers who have had COVID at this point, and in every case it was brought into the house by one person and every other person in the house got it.

its funny when the people wearing two masks or more have different color masks so people can see they are wearing two or more masks.
Why is it funny? All my "first layer" masks are black because I use disposable surgical masks and I happen to have black ones, and I just wear whatever mask on top of that. The top layer isn't always black, but I've never thought other people would find it humorous.

I recently read this information about antibody testing and the vaccine. I hope this person's doctor knows the "right" antibody test to use (if there is a "right" one available to the community).
Can antibody tests determine if the COVID-19 vaccine was effective?
This is true - I'm fully vaccinated and had an antibody test when I donated plasma and it came up negative. Turns out the Red Cross tests for different types of antibodies than the vaccination I had developed in my blood.

Your overreading into my comments. I was blanketing across the 30 year old demographic. I said "Maybe if I was 30, I wouldn't care..." That's me and knowing what my 30 year old self was like. I never got a flu shot until I was 55 years old. I felt like I was healthy enough to survive anything. Thinking back to my 30 year old self, I most certainly would have not been worried so much about the virus. Just me. Not you, not the other 30 year old down the street from me. I know plenty of 20-somethings, and 30 somethings that are very worried about getting sick. I and I know several oldies who don't care at all, terrified of a vaccine, and can't manage to keep their mask above their nose. I wasn't making a sweeping statement about your age group.
We've been told all along that being young and supposedly healthy doesn't mean you're going to come out unscathed, that's what all the news stories and now hospitalizations over the second portion of the pandemic have been showing us that the younger (typically consider 55 and below) are comprising of more hospitalizations. Apologies it sounded more like a blanket general statement towards age :flower3: I appreciate your clarification and sorry for the misunderstanding :)

I totally agree with the first part of the bolded but how are we protecting others when vaccinated people can still be spreaders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter