Per guests, Harmony of the Seas, not near finished.

Tonka's Skipper

DIS Veteran
All ships have some work to be completed 1st trip. However this is a bit over the top. Especially when they are missing glass safety panels next to a child play ground.

When guests are paying full fare, on a first trip, as I said you expect some things not to be totally finished, but not to this amount.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36404486

AKK

Last edited:
Wow!
How disappointing for the guests.
The missing glass near the kids area is such a hazard, I can't believe they would sail the ship with that piece missing.

I read a similar report. I have to say that it would be very disappointing!!
I was hoping for great reports so I'd have another tough "first-world decision" to make about which cruise ship to go on :)
I am sure it'll get better but I am guessing Royal isn't going to be loving all the complaints that are going to be coming.

That's a tragedy waiting to happen. And I'd be livid if I paid full fare and not everything was available.. Pre inagural or not!

Hmm, I remember reports from the Magic Re-imagining of bad toilets, no hot water, unfinished rooms, and other work that had to be completed while underway - and that was after they cancelled the first cruise!

I think that on a Pre-Inaugural cruise, you should expect some work to still be going on. And that's what this video is from.

This is why I would never sail the pre-inaugural, inaugural, or first cruise after a major dry dock/refurbishment. The chances of things going sideways are too great.

Seems over on Critic there is a big difference of opinion......one site calls her a construction site. some disagree..some are not happy. That video is really showing a lot of issues, more then normal.

Especially when they are missing glass safety panel next to a child play ground.

When guests are paying full fare, on a first trip, as I said before you expect some things not to be totally finished, but not to this amount.

AKK

Hmm, I remember reports from the Magic Re-imagining of bad toilets, no hot water, unfinished rooms, and other work that had to be completed while underway - and that was after they cancelled the first cruise!

I think that on a Pre-Inaugural cruise, you should expect some work to still be going on. And that's what this video is from.
They still have problems with toilets and sewage smell.

Same thing type of thing happened on Quantum, but it was more of technology not working and untrained staff. Now losing your dining ressie isn't life threatening, but safety glass? Wow
I second that no traveling on new ships with in the first 6 months, we did quantum within 4 month and still had bad glitches.

The sailing was reportedly sold as a pre-inaugural cruise (although there seems to be some disagreement on this) to me that means they are still going to be actively working on things. Even on an inaugural or the first several sailings of a brand new billion dollar ship you need to expect that there are bugs in the system to be worked out. IMO if you aren't open minded or you demand perfection you need to wait 6 months on a new ship before sailing on her.

There is no excuse for missing glass panels no matter what stage the ship is in. That is a major safety issue and if people are onboard it should never happen, period.

It takes a lot for DW and I to get upset, especially on a cruise. Short of having to board life boats or running at days on end with no power etc take it in stride and enjoy the fact that you're on vacation and not at work or at home doing laundry.

I agree that inaugural/maiden voyages, post refurb cruises and the like are just too risky for me. Maybe if I could afford to cruise multiple times a year I'd be willing to take the risk but when I can only cruise once every year or two I want to do everything I can to minimize the risk of things going sideways. We're booked to cruise with another line next year on a ship that's only four months old and I'll be watching closely to make sure I want to lock myself in 90 days out.

I've never sailed RCCL but I've always considered it a good family option. Now with these reports and the Quantum debacle back in winter I'm really reconsidering. I'm willing to make compromises and give up a few perks here and there to get a good deal but not safety and I'm beginning to question their commitment to safety over making a profit!

This wasn't the "inaugural" I don't even think it was billed as a "pre-inaugural" either.
True...but why did RC launch a ship with passengers when the boat was clearly not ready to be launched. Poor decision on management's side and bad press for the company.

True...but why did RC launch a ship with passengers when the boat was clearly not ready to be launched. Poor decision on management's side and bad press for the company.

RCCL apparently miscalculated the time it would take to finish such a huge ship. People purchased their tickets and air fare and got the time off work. RCCL probably figured they'd have even more problems and bad press if they canceled the cruise.

If they'd given the passengers the option to cancel I wonder how many would've canceled, or how many would've cruised anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter