Persuasive Speech Topic Help Please!

sudan00

Earning My Ears
Ok so I’ve been lurking these forums for a while and finally made an account.

im taking a college speech class and i have to come up with a topic to speak on for 6-7 minutes and the catch is it has to be in a problem-solution format.

i have kept a disney theme in all my speeches so far and would love to keep going, but i can’t think of a topic that isn’t overused and will please my teacher. all i have is silly ideas like “problem: today, people will beat you and curse you and cheat you. solution: replace them with a reindeer companion” or on a more serious note i was thinking about maybe how disney could be considered/is unfriendly to the environment and it could be solved by introducing new environmentally friendly policies.

i have seen such great ideas here before, i am asking on short notice but please help me with something

One issue I am thinking of is about is the "limited edition merchandise" issue - people have been trying for months to get those rose gold Minnie ears, but they only release so many at a time, so people buy in bulk and then mark them up to sell online.

First of all you have to use a topic that is HOT for persuasive. Secondly, you have to be passionate about the topic.

I watched my youngest dd come up with all her speeches. She was in special classes in HS for speaking and researching and did a lot of them.

I am trying to think of a WDW topic and coming up flat. Don't be afraid to do another topic!

Since you're in college, I would suggest that you consider a more "grown up" world issue. Disney is great but I don't know if there's much that would give you good material for your project. Find an issue that you are passionate about.

Last edited:
Maybe alcohol in the parks vs. what Walt had originally said he wanted them to be? You could throw in some history about Walt himself and his drinking, the secretive Club 33, and what is happening now. You could even get into parents drinking while on vacation with their children etc...

I wrote a really great persuasive essay on trophy hunting last year. I like doing those kinds of papers on things I don’t know much about because I enjoy the researching aspect.

all very valid points. i most likely will end up putting disney on the backburner for this speech and do one regarding mental health. ‘twas a good theme while it lasted lol

thank you!

all very valid points. i most likely will end up putting disney on the backburner for this speech and do one regarding mental health. ‘twas a good theme while it lasted lol

thank you!
If you have access through your local or college library to Gale's "Opposing Viewpoints in Context" it might be a great resource for you. :)

I think limiting yourself to Disney is tying your hands. Do something different. Find a problem you are passionate about.

Earlier this year I took speech in college, and I had to give a Persuasive Speech. My topic was why "Everybody Needs To Go On A Disney Vacation". I don't know how this could work with your parameters though.
It was my second speech that term about Disney Parks. For our first speech we had to talk about some kind of College related theme, so I discussed the Disney College Program.

I had a professor who had exactly 2 topics off limits: abortion & gun control. Said in the decade plus that he allowed both, he'd never gotten a decent paper on either (regardless of POV).

With that in mind, it kind of makes sense to steer clear of topics that are your passion unless you're REALLY going to do the legwork to do it right.

When I took a speech class in college (fall 1997) I had to do a persuasive topic as well. I can't recall the specifics but I do recall that it was on something related to the environment. I agree that you should probably find a non-Disney topic for this. At the very least, it will show your instructor that you have the ability to successfully present on a non-Disney topic.

I disagree with the majority here. This is a board full of adults who are passionate about Disney - if you want to keep talking about Disney I see no reason why you can't do so. Disney is a business first and foremost - so talk about their business aspects. Or talk about how they're pricing only for rich people now (not my opinion just a topic) Talk about how Disney's corporate heads address current issues - like responding to Pulse or things the President says, and why the should or should not be doing that. Talk about how they pay their workers. Talk about their effect on the economy in Orlando and where their responsibility to the local community begins/ends. Talk about how much of their workforce is from oversees and whether that is a good or bad thing. I could go on, with any business this big there's going to be plenty of topics that you could pick sides on.

PROBLEM: Walt Disney World's monorail system is old, crumbling, and expensive to maintain and replace. However, three major, "flagship" resorts derive a premium from being on the monorail line.

SOLUTION: How can WDW still sell guests on the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary without investing millions in short-term monorail repairs?

You too? I have a persuasive speech due November 7th and I'm thinking about birth control being covered by religious corps. A bit of a hot topic but safer than some. The other was intermittent fasting for health. That is not a hot topic but it is argued in the medical field.

You too? I have a persuasive speech due November 7th and I'm thinking about birth control being covered by religious corps. A bit of a hot topic but safer than some. The other was intermittent fasting for health. That is not a hot topic but it is argued in the medical field.

Mandatory vaccinations. You're welcome.

I finally gave my informative speech (it was regarding the pixar theory), and afterwards I told my teacher about my confusion for a topic and she said after my informative speech, she was actually really disappointed to hear that I wasn’t sticking to Disney. So I think I will do my best to stick to Disney, but if I can’t, it won’t be the end of my college career lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter