Pete addressing all the hate on the podcast

I donā€™t need to be reminded every time that Disney lost billions as a justification for their current strategy to ā€œincrease yieldā€ and milk guests of every penny. Nor is lumping manic eBay resellers in with passionate Disney fans begging for acknowledgement of what they see as a degradation of their parks fair. I understand things are getting more toxic but I see it as desperation by the fans that helped build this company to what it is today and exasperation at the direction itā€™s taken.

There are going to be clear winners and losers in the eventual post pandemic era for companies and how theyā€™ve pivoted to the changing consumer environment. Iā€™ll bet you 1 of the main characteristics of companies that come out on top will be empathy towards their consumers and their needs in a time when that is absent.

Last edited:
The in park guest behavior was disgusting. Itā€™s embarrassing as a Disney fan to see that garbage.

Iā€™ll add unles youā€™ve seen Harmonius and Enchanted in person, your opinion is meaningless to me.

Far too many Disney fans are terrified of change.
Why is it that anyone who expresses a dislike for the new shows is dismissed as being "afraid (or in your words, terrified) of change"? Maybe they just think these new shows are bad, not by comparison to their predecessors, but bad by themselves.

I love Pete Werner! I get tired of all the sensitive unhappy people. Every time I listen to his podcasts, I always end up with a smile on my face. Iā€™m a ā€˜just tell it like it really is, and donā€™t beat around the bush personā€™. I appreciate and respect Pete and his opinions and I have been a fan since the 90s! I wouldnā€™t change a thing! šŸ˜Š

Why is it that anyone who expresses a dislike for the new shows is dismissed as being "afraid (or in your words, terrified) of change"? Maybe they just think these new shows are bad, not by comparison to their predecessors, but bad by themselves.

Name a show that replaced a previous show where the fan reaction was overwhelming positive?

HEA over Wishes? Nope.
EPCOT Forever over Illuminations? Nope.
Enchantment over HEA? Nope.
Harmonius over Forever / Illuminations? Nope.

Some not all of yā€™all hang on to nostalgia come heck or high water. Iā€™ve heard it said over and over Harmonius doesnā€™t reflect EPCOT.

Does the annual fall food and drunk festival reflect EPCOT?

Someone send me a ladder, I canā€™t get off my high horse.

Social media in general is toxic. People just act like maniacs with their comments. It's like when people go nuts driving. It's "anonymous" so they just talk however they want or get road rage.

My comment has nothing to do with the shows mentioned or the recent Disney experience. I haven't seen the shows as I was only there in August (had a great time, btw).

I do agree with OP comments about the "next" level of negativity on here. I have noticed only since the "covid period." To some degree it is understandable because all of our lives have been affected, some more than others.

That's my philosophizing for everyone today. :-)

Name a show that replaced a previous show where the fan reaction was overwhelming positive?

HEA over Wishes? Nope.

Some not all of yā€™all hang on to nostalgia come heck or high water. Iā€™ve heard it said over and over Harmonius doesnā€™t reflect EPCOT.

And some of y'all want to lump everyone with a opposing opinion together without acknowledging that they have compelling reasons for their stance.

I'm sorry, but Disney missing revenue due to Covid has zero to do with fans being unhappy about the new nighttime shows. Clearly, Disney invested a lot of money into both. And many fans feel that the new shows lack heart and attention to the STORY that Disney itself has always adhered to. That has zero to do with money.

And no, I don't need Disney to read me a bedtime story, but a company that has built ride queues, parades, firework shows, etc. with a focus on the story suddenly abandoning the story is jarring and is going to be be noted by the fans.

Disney itself has created a fan base that expects story and nostalgia to be woven into everything.

(People fighting over merchandise is something that's been going on awhile--go to any runDisney race expo. It's also an entirely separate issue.)

HEA over Wishes? Nope.

Your opinion is meaningless to me.

I'm happy he finally said something, and if you're a patreon member he said a whole lot more Saturday night. There have been times over the last few months where I stopped going to the boards, unfollowed some of the Facebook pages, and just distanced myself from other Disney fans in general because of all the complaining. You are allowed to complain some because Disney raised the prices of annual passes or that your favorite show isn't back yet. But the constant negativity of people who only saw shows on a bad livestream or say that Disney is ruined gets really old. If you don't want to go, then just don't. I don't care about your soapbox speech of how Chapek is destroying your family memories or whatever random even people blame him for.

And one last point, Josh D'amaro is just as guilty for the in-park cuts as Chapek is, but he gets a free pass because he hugs people as they're walked out the door.

HEA over Wishes? Nope.

Disney has one of the most change-averse fans of any community out there.

I'm happy he finally said something, and if you're a patreon member he said a whole lot more Saturday night. There have been times over the last few months where I stopped going to the boards, unfollowed some of the Facebook pages, and just distanced myself from other Disney fans in general because of all the complaining. You are allowed to complain some because Disney raised the prices of annual passes or that your favorite show isn't back yet. But the constant negativity of people who only saw shows on a bad livestream or say that Disney is ruined gets really old. If you don't want to go, then just don't. I don't care about your soapbox speech of how Chapek is destroying your family memories or whatever random even people blame him for.

And one last point, Josh D'amaro is just as guilty for the in-park cuts as Chapek is, but he gets a free pass because he hugs people as they're walked out the door.
The thing is, people don't need to have permission to complain. I think you are doing the right thing by just tuning it out if it bothers you. I didn't agree with Pete at all but I do respect where he's coming from since his livelihood is tied to Disney.

I did find it interesting when Pete said Disney management " may be rolling their eyes" now
because of all the complaining. So basically tuning out.

Here is hoping 2022 is much better for everyone.
I appreciated his comments this week, probably because they confirm my own feelings. But I the "rolling their eyes" comment was the most salient. If people say that they are disappointed at pricing or how much they loved HEA (hey - I get choked up even watching videos of it on TV, I get it) or whatever that makes sense. But when people go online and rant about how Chapek is a monster and Disney is going to collapse because some AP holders might now renew....well, I'd tune that out too.

So Im new here and just read this
So a thread that is started about all the negativity on social media and from fans turns into this. Some of the comments here prove the point that apparently Pete was trying to make!
Just curious of all the people so upset that they get rude how many are going to stop going or sell their DVC?
I listened to the podcast and one thing Pete said that was absolutely true is "Disney is rolling their eyes", its non stop and at some point a community is just ignored.
Having just returned I think Disney is appealing to a younger audience that appears to want all the new IP and from what I spending a lot of money!
Yes everyone has a right to their opinion and you dont have to like everything Disney does but I think the point was how its said, seriously read some of the comments in this thread alone, if someone disagrees with someone else they are wrong no one is respecting anyones opinion
There are other parks in the area if you dont like what Disney is doing

So Im new here and just read this
So a thread that is started about all the negativity on social media and from fans turns into this. Some of the comments here prove the point that apparently Pete was trying to make!
Just curious of all the people so upset that they get rude how many are going to stop going or sell their DVC?
I listened to the podcast and one thing Pete said that was absolutely true is "Disney is rolling their eyes", its non stop and at some point a community is just ignored.
Having just returned I think Disney is appealing to a younger audience that appears to want all the new IP and from what I spending a lot of money!
Yes everyone has a right to their opinion and you dont have to like everything Disney does but I think the point was how its said, seriously read some of the comments in this thread alone, if someone disagrees with someone else they are wrong no one is respecting anyones opinion
There are other parks in the area if you dont like what Disney is doing
Some of us just grew up with the Disney that was supposed to be for the whole family, not just kids. The whole point was it was a place EVERYONE could enjoy. You're right though, there are other parks, my honest hope is that more and more people seek them out because THAT is what will change Disney. Not the opinions of anyone on the Disboards LOL

The thing is, people don't need to have permission to complain. I think you are doing the right thing by just tuning it out if it bothers you. I didn't agree with Pete at all but I do respect where he's coming from since his livelihood is tied to Disney.

That is a better way of phrasing it. People can complain about anything, but I don't have to agree or show sympathy. And tuning it out was definitely the right choice looking back. It feels like, for lack of a better word, a pity party, and just reading it makes my day worse.

That is a better way of phrasing it. People can complain about anything, but I don't have to agree or show sympathy. And tuning it out was definitely the right choice looking back. It feels like, for lack of a better word, a pity party, and just reading it makes my day worse.
Haha I admit I am guilty of seeking out commiseration here!

I appreciated his comments this week, probably because they confirm my own feelings. But I the "rolling their eyes" comment was the most salient. If people say that they are disappointed at pricing or how much they loved HEA (hey - I get choked up even watching videos of it on TV, I get it) or whatever that makes sense. But when people go online and rant about how Chapek is a monster and Disney is going to collapse because some AP holders might now renew....well, I'd tune that out too.
For those who think Disney is going to collapse because they wont renew their annual pass I think they need a wakeup call, because they probably will and if not there is a whole new generation who likes what Disney is doing, IP for their young kids with movies they grew up on and they will and are spending money

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter