Pete Werner Quoted in Today's (4-18-2022) Washington Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcb

always emerging from hibernation
I would link to the article - about attempts to boycott WDW (current and past) but it is behind a paywall and might be a topic that stretches the guidelines. So, here are Pete's quotes:

Pete Werner, co-owner of Dreams Unlimited Travel, also said he wasn’t seeing cancellations or a slowdown in business. Parks have been busy, even as prices have increased and Disney has added fees for some services.​
“Last year, sales-wise, was the best year we ever had,” he said. “This year is outpacing it.”​
***​
But like Testa, Werner said most of his customers were unhappy with the “tepid” and delayed response that Disney had to the legislation. He said his followers, knowing he’s gay, urged him to share his thoughts about the bill.​
Werner’s Disney empire includes the DIS website, discussion boards, the DIS Unplugged podcast network and a real estate company that specializes in people who want to move closer to the parks in Central Florida. He said Disney fans might battle over their politics in online forums, but he doesn’t believe political issues will drive decisions about visiting the parks.​
“At the end of the day, what draws people to Disney is a lot stronger than that — the connection, the emotional resonance that Disney has with their hardcore fans,” he said. “It’s kind of impervious to politics.”​

I would link to the article - about attempts to boycott WDW (current and past) but it is behind a paywall and might be a topic that stretches the guidelines. So, here are Pete's quotes:

Pete Werner, co-owner of Dreams Unlimited Travel, also said he wasn’t seeing cancellations or a slowdown in business. Parks have been busy, even as prices have increased and Disney has added fees for some services.​
“Last year, sales-wise, was the best year we ever had,” he said. “This year is outpacing it.”​
***​
But like Testa, Werner said most of his customers were unhappy with the “tepid” and delayed response that Disney had to the legislation. He said his followers, knowing he’s gay, urged him to share his thoughts about the bill.​
Werner’s Disney empire includes the DIS website, discussion boards, the DIS Unplugged podcast network and a real estate company that specializes in people who want to move closer to the parks in Central Florida. He said Disney fans might battle over their politics in online forums, but he doesn’t believe political issues will drive decisions about visiting the parks.​
“At the end of the day, what draws people to Disney is a lot stronger than that — the connection, the emotional resonance that Disney has with their hardcore fans,” he said. “It’s kind of impervious to politics.”​
I agree with what Pete said. I don’t like companies getting into politics at all like Disney has been recently but most major companies do this nowadays. If anyone tried to line up their politics with who they do business with you wouldn’t be doing business with anyone. It’s best to agree to disagree and move on.

For those that say Disney shouldn’t involve themselves in politics, do you also think they shouldn’t contribute $ to politicians’ campaigns and/or politicians’ interests (ie non-profits politicians align with, gala/charity dinners run by politicians, stuff like that)?

Genuinely curious. Thoughts?

For those that say Disney shouldn’t involve themselves in politics, do you also think they shouldn’t contribute $ to politicians’ campaigns and/or politicians’ interests (ie non-profits politicians align with, gala/charity dinners run by politicians, stuff like that)?

I think they should do as they see fit. I’m just not always going to like it and that’s fine.

All companies including Disney and all public individuals such as sports stars, music stars and Hollywood stars who are given un-due platforms should stay away from politics period.

Weve had two presidents (and several other politicians) who were movie/tv stars.

Everyone has an opinion. You. Me. Celebrities. Everyone. You get to decide how much weight you give other's opinions, not who gets to speak.

All companies including Disney and all public individuals such as sports stars, music stars and Hollywood stars who are given un-due platforms should stay away from politics period.

Is it famous people and companies you have issues with, or do we have an income or asset level as well that above which someone has no right to express their opinions on government?

These are two very different things.

Monetary support from a business to politicians et all is almost always for favor by, and to the benefit of, the business. It is also usually not well covered in mainstream discussion and is almost always standard practice for businesses of a certain size.

The topic here is a company voicing support for a topic/talking point that has been heavily politicized. This is something that is done considerably less by businesses, and has significantly greater exposure for any business that chooses to stand firm on either side of a polarized topic such as this.

I would love to see Disney do what our Schwab Bank did last year and wash its hands of politics & political contributions. Be an entertainment company: wholesome family entertainment without any social engineering agenda. Please.

Disney didn't do anything on the same level as Blackfish. I agree with Pete. People are going to spend. Disney is the go to vacation spot for kids.

I agree with what Pete said. I don’t like companies getting into politics at all like Disney has been recently but most major companies do this nowadays. If anyone tried to line up their politics with who they do business with you wouldn’t be doing business with anyone. It’s best to agree to disagree and move on.
Disney has been doing this for a long time.

I would love to see it but you would have to remove the benefits they get from those "donations." I don't expect politicians to outlaw that anytime soon.

Awesome, good for Pete. He has moved up from "Florida man" on CNN to the owner of an Empire.

I have to admit....everytime i see something about the Reedy Creek Improvement thing in the news, I'd love to hear Pete address it.

We are living in a world were scoring points on an imaginary political board outweighs practical matters. And the beast is never satisfied until one day it wakes to realize there is nothing left to eat, only to complain why did you let them eat so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter