Peter Pan confusion

momof2n2

DIS Veteran
I’ve seen it come up in a thread or two, but am I to understand that Peter Pan is a Really Big Deal At DLR?

It is a popular ride with a very low ride capacity (and no FP), so it usually has a long wait. The “go-to” strategy from guidebooks and websites became to head there first thing, so there’s a mad rush there when the rope drops.

I find it’s better just to bite the bullet and wait later in the day if you really care to ride it.

Yes it’s very popular! I’m pretty sure the majority of the people at rope drop head over there first. At least that’s what it seemed like when I last did it. That’s one ride that I think brings back such good memories. Plus every size and age can ride it, which adds to the popularity.

One of my favorites. It was refurbished around 3-4 years ago. I've successfully rope dropped it several times, in order to get on within 10 minutes of park opening. I like to use a Magic Morning to start with PP and then knock off most of Fantasyland before picking up FPs for rides in Tomorrowland right at regular opening.

as a 60 year old adult male, Peter Pan is the only ride for me that is 100% pure fantasy, if not for the long wait, it would be my number one attraction, instead, riding Chickapin four times in a row, on the same log, in the first Wednesday of December in the morning, Peter Pan is ranked as my second. First, there is the flying, in highly detailed pirate ship ( though as a rider you can't see the detail on the outside) London is scaled perfectly and the fog gives it a sense of reality as you fly out of a scale Darling window. Then comes the Moon, you are so focused and thrilled to be at Disneyland first in the morning, that everytime, I forget about that little dip at the moon. And while flying out the Darling window and over london, and all of this is happening with a soundtrack that makes sense to the story theme, then down to the volcano and around. The attractions ends abruptly and is probably in the top 5 worst endings, along with POC, Small World, Autopia. Because of the lack of my ridership frequency, it is still very novel and find Alice and the wooden neighbor boring, toad is always a blast...and Snow White, if not for the kitchen, could be missed, but I ride snow white 3 times in a row, just to see that kitchen, the best themed 10 feet at Disneyland!!!

If I can't high tail it over there at rope drop, then I skip it. It is one of my favorites, but I won't wait more than 20 minutes in line for any ride...too much other great things to do!

Very popular! I just love it and have to do it at least once per trip. One year it was being refurbed when we were there. Saddest trip ever!

I have found they often exaggerate the wait. The last two times we have gone, my DD6 has wanted to wait to ride it (and I'm totally game because I love it!). My DH and DD8 both feel there are better things to do with the 30-45 minutes wait time the app or post outside the ride state. Both times, DD6 and I didn't wait as long as posted. First time, it was posted at 45 min. We waited 30. Second time, it was posted at 30 minutes when we got in line, then went right up to 40 minutes just after we entered the line. We waited 26 minutes.

These times were in the early morning hours, but certainly not right at rope drop. If you don't have a lot of time, I would skip it. But if you do, give it a try. We pass the time in line playing games, so it's not a big deal.

I will say given the choice and only able to pick one long wait FL ride, I will wait in line for Alice over PP.

Last edited:
I’ve seen it come up in a thread or two, but am I to understand that Peter Pan is a Really Big Deal At DLR?
You understand correctly. Peter Pan is a Really Big Deal. Kids love it. Adults who grew up with it love it. Adults who didn't grow up riding it love it.

I agree with Angrose; I wish there were more rides like it in the parks. Simple, effective, immersive, it reminds me of a simpler time while taking me on Peter's flight.

The first time I had to wait in line for over 30 mins was 2007 Thanksgiving and for me the negative that changed it to a rope drop priority was the waiting chains, it is awful, the only magic being the evil queen, where as on Alice, Dumbo and sometimes Toad your range of vision is extended to other elements in Fantasyland, Alice has the shade, themed lights, tea cups, Matterhorn.......Peter Pan...just faces of tired folks, swinging kids and the wall barrier to launch off in the ships. Folks here were hoping that with the weapon shop closure that the line would be detoured and themed into that space...didn't happen....so now folks are bunched up.. TSMM waiting area is probably a product of the chains of Peter Pan, TSMM has wide lanes, they are long, the Spud can talk to you and you catch an act on the boardwalk, the sound of the roller coaster.....whereas waiting in the chains for Peter Pan is pure misery...though I am sure now with all the hand held devices, the wait could go fast.....but along with the Lilly Belle....I will never know.

I would definitely consider it a big deal, but I wouldn't go out of my way to wait an hour for it. It's a Disney classic, and if you've never done it before, you MUST, but I find myself never wanting to wait the large line for it.

It is a big deal. Personally, I suspect that some of the hype is because it's a good ride, but also some of it is because the fact that it has long lines makes it seem like a more valuable ride. Sort of like limited run merchandise. I think a lot of people get a kick out of trying to be one of the first people in line, so they make a point to ride it even if, under other circumstances, it might be a ride they skip. We rode it on our first trip and since we knew there were going to be long lines anyway, we went against popular advice and just rode it in the middle of the afternoon when everything else had long lines too. I haven't made it back on since then, but I've been meaning to.

It is one of my favorite rides but I usually try to get a bunch of other rides in while everyone else is running there at rope drop and then just check it and jump in line later in the day if it is around a 30 min wait. If you are not one of the first to get there you will be waiting that long anyways, I figure if I am going to wait for it I my as well lower the waits on some other rides first.

Wow. Thank you for all the replies. It has never been one I’ve cared about,myself, at WDW; I’ve been on many trips there that i never even rode it.
However - My now four-year old loves the Peter Pan movie. I’ll have to decide just how big of an effort we’ll make for it. I’m planning to RD GOTG and RSR...

Thank you!!!

While I enjoy the ride itself, I'm usually fine skipping it. The BF however loves it so we make it a priority and now have a tradition of saving it for the end of the night as we share a bowl of Gibson Girl ice cream while we wait in line, then take the scenic route as we leave the park (doing Sleeping Beauty's Caste walk through and Snow White's wishing well)

It is a big deal in the fact that there are always long lines and strategies for avoiding long lines. It is a big deal to me because it reminds me of my childhood, but I don't HAVE to ride it. My kids, on the other hand, only go to make their mom happy. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter