Petitioning The Walt Disney Co. To Keep the Osborne Lights!!!

Anyone remember "The Glory and Pageantry of Christmas", which was performed at Disney Village for about 15 years in the 80's and 90's? It ran for about 2 1/2 weeks up to Christmas Eve and had three shows a night. It was immensely popular with locals, who made it a holiday tradition to attend (we went at least twice every year). Unfortunately, it was scrubbed, mainly because it wasn't making enough money for the Mouse. Parking was free, admission was free and the locals showed up by the thousands, but generally didn't buy anything but a cup of hot chocolate and maybe a chocolate-chip cookie. They were looking but weren't buying the overpriced tchotchkes in the stores. Remember, these were locals and they didn't have the burning urge to pay $75 for a Mickey Mouse plush dressed like Santa.

It was a nice Christmas present from Disney to the community, but like all good things, it came to an end. Money in the stocking trumps ho-ho-ho every time.

They better not keep them.....I just booked a trip with the soul purpose of seeing the lights. LOL!!!! Seeing these lights is going to cost me $1500.

Disney would never do it because there wouldn't be a way to charge for it, but I think it would be cool if they put lights up around the stores/resorts in the Boardwalk area and did some sort of show there.

Disney would never do it because there wouldn't be a way to charge for it, but I think it would be cool if they put lights up around the stores/resorts in the Boardwalk area and did some sort of show there.

Not only would they likely not put them there because they can't charge admission, but the volume of crowds might actually diminish merchandise sales at the shops.

SOA worked because it served no purpose the rest of the year, and had very low traffic. So erecting and taking down the lights was quite easy. And since it wasn't a thoroughfare, the massive crowds at night did not inhibit traffic to other attractions, restaurants and shops.

There is no other street in WDW with similar facades AND NEXT TO NO FOOT TRAFFIC. Putting it anywhere else would result in a nightmare of congestion.

I have to laugh at this because people complained for years about the "wasted space" at the Studios along the Streets of America. Now, there is a plan to improve the area (OK, non Star Wars fans back off) and that gets complained about.

So why go to WDW during the holidays then? Sure you have a few storytellers and a nice parade at MK but otherwise?

I never understand why people don't ever seem to want it all. I realize that getting it all is unlikely but why not shoot for everything?

But what is "everything"? There will still be trees and lights and things like that for the holiday season of 2016. But, since none of us have crystal balls at this point, no one knows what will be going on at the Studios for the holiday next year. That's a year and a half away. All we know is the Obourne Lights will not be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter