Pets at the Fort - other than dogs

gillenkl

DIS Veteran
Ok, we have a pet rabbit that we may need to bring to the Fort with us. Boarder (our vet) wants $375. Keep in mind that we use our vet because she only takes certain kinds of pets for boarding - no dogs because of predator factor. I was thinking of just bringing her in her cage - she is litter trained so not dirty or stinky. Do you think I could keep her cage on our picnic table under our awning - are most dogs kept on leashes? I'd hate to come back to my site and find "Tinkerbell" not as we left her - kids might be scarred for life. In other words - do think she'd be safe in her cage? I guess we could leave her in the popup with the A/C on but DH doesn't really like to run the A/C all day :confused3 Afraid to ask - but does anyone have any thoughts on this?:rolleyes1

Although all dogs are supposed to be on leashes, I saw two running free in our loop on our last visit on different occasions. I would not risk leaving Tink outside when you are gone from your site. You don't say when you plan to visit. Would it be in the air conditioning season, or would a fan suffice. Also dogs might not be your only worry. Curious kids could open the cage to pet or hold Tink with an escape as the result. By the way, we run our A/C whenever it's needed, whether we're at the site or not. If it's a hot day, it's nice to come "home" to a cool "house". The thermostat does not need to be set at Frostbite, just low enough to overcome whatever heat and humidity are outside.

We allways bring Spaz everytime we camp but I wouldn't leave him outside when you are gone.
29411336441_ORIG.jpg

I'm pretty sure best friends would board a bunny. It isn't gonna be cheap either. I'd leave her in the pup with the a/c on. But not outside.

Our bunny camps with us...but as others have said, never outside alone. We keep him caged in the RV with our pups when gone from the site. A/C running. I wouldn't risk it at the Fort leaving it outside. Even without a stray dog, there is a lot of wildlife, and I wouldn't bet that some sort of critter wouldn't be able to get that cage open and spring the bunny. Those otters can open a cooler of beer, afterall.

Although all dogs are supposed to be on leashes, I saw two running free in our loop on our last visit on different occasions. I would not risk leaving Tink outside when you are gone from your site.

Agreed! It's not like the place is crawling with dogs roaming free, but we have run into the occasional camper that doesn't think their dog needs to be on a leash when they're at the campsite. Which is usually fine, but last trip there was a boxer that routinely bolted out of the back of the campsite to chase squirrels up the cypress trees. He was quickly retrieved each time, but still...

And potential loose dogs aside, there is wildlife at the Fort - armadillos, deer (a few strolled right across the back of our site in November) and we've even spotted a coyote on the other side of the canal. And sometime earlier this year there were signs posted everywhere because a bear had been sighted.

I'd definitely err on the side of caution and leave bun-bun in the camper. :thumbsup2

We allways bring Spaz everytime we camp but I wouldn't leave him outside when you are gone.
29411336441_ORIG.jpg

That is one happy campin' bunny! :goodvibes

Just a word of caution about leaving a pet in a pop-up camper with the AC running.

I wouldn't chance this on a hot and sunny day.

Something could always go wrong- like a circuit breaker getting thrown, or the AC malfunctioning.

Pop-ups get hot in the summer time.

Here's what we found after coming back to our camper one afternoon last June:

FW610010.jpg

Our camper was in the direct sun for most of the afternoon, and even with the AC blasting, it was warm in the pop-up.

The new Best Friends kennel has a "pocket pets" section. You might want to check on that as a place to leave the bunny during the day time.

TCD

The new Best Friends kennel has a "pocket pets" section. You might want to check on that as a place to leave the bunny during the day time.

TCD

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Didn't know about the 'pocket pets' - are these prices for the day or hour?
Pocket Pets
Standard Resort Guest
Small $12 $10
Medium $16 $14
Large $20 $18
X Large $23 $21

That is one happy campin' bunny!

Spaz is my buddy I never go camping without him.
He likes to get wrapped up in his blanket and go for a ride on the golf cart

Putting a poor bunny in a open cage, on the outside table, is like ringing the dinner bell for some dogs and cats, but mostly for the wildlife! I do other with everyone else, please don't leave the bunny outside unattended.

No family or neigbors to take him during your WDW trip?

AKK

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Didn't know about the 'pocket pets' - are these prices for the day or hour?
Pocket Pets
Standard Resort Guest
Small $12 $10
Medium $16 $14
Large $20 $18
X Large $23 $21

Those would be daily rates.

Last September when we were boarding Mickey there, somebody had a Beta fish in the pocket pets section.

Although all dogs are supposed to be on leashes, I saw two running free in our loop on our last visit on different occasions. .

ya..............thats one reason I "carry". Neighbors kid got attacked a few yrs ago buy a roaming dog..........as well Sister-inlaws husband was attacked mowing his yard by their neighbors dog that was loose...........just a week a go, multible bits, pretty nasty.

sorry call me a horses rear, but Id demand Disney to resolve that problem, pronto, there is just no room for loose dogs at the fort with so many kids. Im a dog lover, but never forget, they are animals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter