• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Phelps vs. Shark?

This was absolutely terrible. I mean, I expected it to be a little campy but dang - it sucked. We turned it off after 10 minutes.

We didn't watch it. I didn't even realize it had been televised yet & I hope my DH doesn't find out it's available for viewing. :ssst: I really didn't expect Phelps to race a shark. He would have no chance of winning that encounter. This had to be a gimmick. The whole idea was typical Sci-fi silliness. I'd be surprised to hear that anyone thought this was real. :crazy: Regardless, I'm still on team Phelps. :teeth:

I haven't seen it as I can't track down a copy but check out Snow Sharks

I'll try to find it.

I watched the Phelps vs. Shark thing and thought it was ok. Of course he wasn't going to be actually racing a shark (the graphic with the shark racing in the pool was hilarious though). I can't believe people really thought he'd be reaching a shark in a tradition sense. People can be really stupid.

I skipped this and plan to always skip it but you all are making me curious. Was it just numbers and statistics?

Here's the thing: This shouldn't be a surprise.

First there was the megaladon "documentary" a few years ago, then there was the "being eaten alive" BS last year. Of course Phelps wasn't going to race a shark.

I mean, this channel hasn't been about science for years. Sure, they have some shows that are vaguely related to science and learning, but mostly this is a reality tv channel.

I skipped this and plan to always skip it but you all are making me curious. Was it just numbers and statistics?

Basically, yeah. There was some footage of Phelps on a boat with a bunch of shark experts who took measurements of how fast a shark could swim and then they compared that to Phelps's speed with some hi-tech suit and flippers on.

We LOVE Shark Week, & our 2 older kids swim competitively, so, of course, we watched it! LOL!

And I'm surprised & amused by the number of people who really thought Phelps would be racing an actual shark in actual open water.

Speaking of open water, DD thought they should have gotten an open water swimmer to race (since Phelps is used to pools), but, as we pointed out, they needed someone everyone recognizes. And even if you don't watch sports or are into swimming, you know Phelps.

I personally thought it was a little unfair that Phelps was given a special shark-skin suit & a fin to better his chances.

And now I'm thinking, since Phelps lost against the shark, he'll probably train all year long & have a rematch next summer. He's too competitive to lose against a shark. LOL!

Oh, & we are Sharknado fans too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter