Phone Cards

Jacket93

Mouseketeer
Do most of you use prepaid phone cards or bill it to a AT&T, Sprint Calling card or other calling card for your phone calls in the resort or do you dail without them?

Use the prepaid phone cards! Depending on what you pay for them and keeping in mind that they deduct a few credits when you use a pay phone it is still the best deal. On one of our last visits a member of our group didn't realize how expensive calls from the hotel were and racked up almost $75 in calls before we realized it.
A one minute call to an answering machine was almost $5 from the hotel room. We get our cards from Sam's Club at about 5 cents a minute.

If you have a Sam's Club near they are great. ATT prepaid phone card from there are 4.19 cents/minute the last time I looked. I have started using them for all my long distance calls even from my house. The minutes never expire and the charge from a payphone is 6 minutes. I can't say enough great things about these cards.

They are probably availible at places other than Sam's, I just haven't been looking. Keep you eyes open while shopping and make sure to read the fine print on any card you would buy. Some have great per minute rates but high connection rates ( I have seen 2.3 cents/minute and then when you read the fine print it will have a 40 minute connection fee or 92 cents. YIKES!!) Good Luck!

We always use our prepaid calling cards-it's much cheaper and very convenient! I just buy them when there on sale and take them with us on vacation!

I agree with Kim534 about getting the phone cards from Sam's Club. Just make sure that your current long distance carrier is not charging you a monthly fee or minimum month usage fee. If they are, than switch to another long distance carrier and or plan.

We always use calling cards or our cellular phone when we are on vacation.

If you aren't a Sam's member, see if you can "find a friend" who will purchase and split a pack with you. I believe Sam's per minute cost is the same regardless of whether you are getting one 1000 minute card or 15 45 minute cards. So someone else may not want 15 cards to hang on to (like me!) and may want to find someone to share them with because of course at Sam's you end up buying in bulk!

Do you work with anyone who is a Sam's member?

COSTCO phone cards wind up about the same price as Sam's (under 5 c /minute)

I also found good phone cards at Sam's, I got 5 - 100 minute cards in one package for about $19. They are great for my 12 year old.

I have never used a pre-paid card....do you just punch a code # when using a pay phone?i also have heard about the fee for in-room calls...are the phones you use for PS arrangements complimantary?We will be switching resorts mid-stay and want to call 2nd place for early check-in , so we know what our plan is before heading out to parks.If you have the phone that works with pre-paid phone cards is there a "roaming" charge like with a cell phone, or do you just dial out and it uses up your minutes?I really need to check into this as we can't be hit with $urpri$e phone bills!:confused:

We always purchase a prepaid calling card for vacations. Sure beats paying the high long distance rates at the hotels. We bought a Sam's pre paid card for our cruise to call back home to talk to the kids while we are in port. Ship board calls are about 15.00 a minute. The Sams prepaid is 4.16 even in puerto Rico and the us virgin islands, but in the bahamasa it is more and you need a special access #./

I just got my phone bill, from our May trip. We used a pay phone with our AT&T calling card to check our messages, and a couple of calls to let our parents know that we arrived, room #'s etc.

A 1 minute call to check our voice mail, was $5.88. 22 total minutes, cost $49.52. The really bad part is the bill cut-off was only half-way through our trip, so I get next months bill to look forward to as well.

I will definately make the extra trip to Sam's. I could just kick myself for not taking the time.

Try BigZoo.com for prepaid phone cards that charge only 3.9 cents per minute . I've used them for over a year now to make all my long distance calls , in state and out of state. Take note . There is a .55 cents surcharge for all calls made from a pay phone .

Captain America:
:p

I agree with the other posters, the Sam's Club AT&T prepaid cards are a great deal. If I'm not mistaken, the lowest per minute rates are with the 500 and 1000 minute cards. I don't know if those of you that use them know this, but you can recharge the card with a credit card for the same rate per minute. So, if you don't have a Sam's membership and have a friend pick up one for you, you won't have to bother them more than once. They also sell the AT&T prepaid cards at WalMart, but the per minute rate is not as cheap as Sam's.

We were just in Sam's Club yesterday. The cards are 4.16 cents per minute and that is the price regardless of the number of minutes on the card! What a great deal! Another tip is that there generally is no payphone surcharge on the cards if it is an AT&T payphone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter