Phone vs Tablet in the Parks

ww52

DIS Veteran
Six weeks to go and I'm having a tough time focusing on work - thinking of the vacation, trying to avoid the temptation of going into Goodge Street views; and clearing overthinking certain things (as is my tendency for a lot of things).

So bear with me on another generally trivial if not downright pointless question:

Has anyone found it advantageous to use a tablet rather than a phone in the parks? For MDE or anything else for that matter?

Obviously it's the screen size that would be the reason. But given I don't have a data plan for my tablet, I'd be relying on the parks WiFi. So a related question would be "how reliable/ unreliable is Wifi? Does it vary by park?"

Anyone who thinks I'm obsessing a bit - you're right! It's been 7 years since our last visit. A lot has changed - but mainly I'm just kind of back in "kid mode" - especially since we'll be experiencing this with two of my grandkids for the first time.

Ugh don't lug around a tablet!
Are you planning on watching a movie or something???
There's really no reason to have it.
Use your phone for MDE, as a camera, and as a form of communication and leave the tablet behind.
I use Disney's wifi on my phone and on my tablet at the resort and I find the signal to be decent although there are times in the park when its spotty.

Oh, I would never use a tablet at a show etc. Certainly not as a camera.

Just wondered if having a larger screen for any MDE or any other reason (DISboards? Menus? Other websites?) is any advantage. Apparently not - again, thanks!

It is so distracting!

I could not agree more. I never even consider that my tablet has a camera. I wouldn't use a phone or a camera-camera either at a show. YouTube makes that unnecessary anyway.

It seems when people say "phone" or even "tablet" these days they think "camera". I think "mini-computer".

I'd use it for the internet / apps like MDE or Lines/Touring Guide. Or even the fine folks at DISboards.

But I get it - no advantage and really a liability for a tablet in the parks

I don't have an iPad; but I won't start an OS war here; I think of my Android tablet to essentially be a very small form computer; I'd be willing to carry it around (with a padded carrying case it fits very nicely in a carrying bag) IF there was any overall value in having it as a web browser or eBook (Unofficial Guide) etc.

I get it. The answer is no.

I guess I'm the odd man out! I don't take a tablet or a phone! I truly enjoy being uplugged. Shockingly I manage to survive the day, get to any ADR's ontime and enjoy the day. It's freeing!

I used just my Apple Watch in the parks on our last visit and that was sufficient for me. It has cellular capability, so I was able to see text messages which is really all I was concerned about. DH had his phone, so we could use that if we needed to use a bigger screen. I do bring my I-Pad to WDW, but never to the parks.

I carried a tablet out of necessity one trip (LifeProof phone case failed me on day 1 at the pool, so I had no other way to communicate with family other than Facetime on the iPad). It was inconvenient, but the worst part was having to use it for any photos/videos I wanted to take. In my opinion, you should leave the tablet in your room and only take your phone in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter