Photo Board Assignment: Summer Scavenger Hunt, June-September, 2012

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the Summer Scavenger Hunt!

The purpose of this Assignment is to get out and have fun using our cameras, maybe learning a few things along the way, so pictures should be new as often as possible (though if you have a relatively new picture that fits a category, you can use it). All cameras and skill levels are welcome.

We'll run until September 15th. No prizes can be rewarded other than recognition for a job well done! Once you post ten categories, however, you will be eligible to put the 2012 Summer Scavenger Hunt Avatar in your signature.

SummerScavengerHuntAvatar2012gif-2-1.jpg

Let's see what you've got!

Anchor
Antiquated
Apparition/Spooky
Arrowhead

Best Friends
Bird Bath with bird
Black and White
Blue Ribbon
Bumble Bee

Cactus
Camera, antique
Century
Chickadee
Chilled
Cool drink with umbrella
Corsage

Dad
Decadent
Double Decker
Diner Menu
Drive Thru Attendant

Fair Food
Fedora
Fiberoptic
Fire Fly
Fishy

Gears
General Store Sign
Grapevine

Harmony
Hobby, yours
Horse and Rider Statue
Hot Air Balloon

I Beam
Illumination
In the kitchen
Irate

Lady Bug
Lazy, Hazy
Lightening
Light Trails
Lilipad

Macro
Mannequin
Mohawk or Mullet
Mosiac

Nail Art
Navajo
Newstand
Nobility
Noshery

On Sale
"O" Animal
Ozark

Painter on Ladder
Patriotic
Penny Candy
Peppermint!
Pet Riding Shotgun
Plane with banner

Rise and Shine
Rose
Rope Swing

Snow cone
Something your city or town is known for
Soulful
Splash
Steamroller
Suspension Bridge

Tadpole
Tall Ships
Toothless Grin
Tourist Map

Unicycle
Upside Down

Waitstaff, favorite
Welcome
Wild Turkey
What is it?

Yacht
Yawn

Zigzag

ETA: Thank you to BirdsOfPreyDave for making an incredibly creative list for us to use, here: :goodvibes

I hope Pea-n-Me doesn't mind, but because I keep forgetting what's on the list while I'm actually out and about with my camera, I decided I needed a printed version of the list. Well, I'm not one to do things half way. Here's what I'm using.

A PDF version is available here if anyone else wants to print a copy.

2012SummerScavengerHunt.png

I'm going to kick start this hunt.

I acknowledge that these pictures were taken in April...but it seems a shame not to share them. And I will be on the hunt for these items over the next 3 months!

Welcome

0401HKDLnight185.jpg

0402HKDLDay093.jpg

Suspension Bridge

0402HKDLDay124.jpg

Bumblebee

0401HKDLDay1405.jpg

Upside down

0401HKDLDay1407.jpg

Light Trails

0401HKDLnight086.jpg

Tourist Map

0405HKDayandNight112.jpg

Fedora

0405GOceanpark132.jpg

Splash

0405GOceanpark138.jpg

0405HKDayandNight219.jpg

Fishy (complete with Hidden Mickey)

0405HKDayandNight067.jpg

Lily Pad

0405HKDayandNight080.jpg

Chilled

0405HKDayandNight181.jpg

Double Decker

0405HKDayandNight316.jpg

0405HKDayandNight320.jpg

Nobility
In the Buddhist faith, the Four Heavenly Kings are four gods that guard a cardinal direction. In Chinese, they are collectively known as Feng Tiao Yu Shun.

ZengZhang, Heavenly King of the South. Feng corresponds to the edge of the sword. When ghosts and monsters dare to step in, he chants an incantation and throws his magic sword up into the sky. In a flash the sword flies down like lightning, hitting, sometimes even killing the intruder. He resides in the Glass Palace on the south of the Four Heavens.

0406HKDay110.jpg

Chiogu, Heavenly King of the East. Tiao corresponds to the sound of “tune”, hence the pipa or musical instrument. On the battlefield, he plucks the musical instrument and gives his enemy a headache. So he wins the battle. He resides in the Golden Palace on the east of the Four Heavens.

0406HKDay111.jpg

Duowen, Heavenly King of the North. Yu means rain and the umbrella, although in this case he is holding a stupa. Whenever he puts up his umbrella, the sky over the battlefield turns dark and a cyclonic storm howls, sending sand and rocks whirling about. The eyesight of his rivals is sure to be impaired. Hardly has he shut up the umbrella when the rivals are drawn into it and arrested. He resides in the Crystal Palace on the north of the Four Heavens.

0406HKDay109.jpg

GuangMu, Heavenly King of the West. Shun refers to the symbol of the crimson dragon. Once released, the dragon mounts the clouds and rides the mists. All of a sudden, this animal spurts out water and disperses his enemy. He resides in the Silver Palace on the west of the Four Heavens.

0406HKDay108.jpg

What is it? These are all fruit!

Mangosteen and Dragon Fruit.

0408HKDay8083.jpg

Durian.

0408HKDay8085.jpg

In The Kitchen

0408HKDay8162.jpg

I finally got in from the start and have no plans on disappearing! (Granted, I didn't plan on it before either, but it just tends to happen over the holidays... but this time, I'll have a trip planned for next fall at that time, so... um... yeah).

These are a bit of at timeframe stretch as they were taken a little over a month ago. But I had this in mind... really I did.... honestly.

What is it? - I took a walk across the campus of the University of South Alabama (it was a utilitarian walk, I was walking home from work) and saw these birds. I've spent hours trying to identify them, and have come up empty. Of course, I'm most definitely not a "birder". But, I still have no clue what it is!
IMG_4596_web.jpg

Lilypad
IMG_4547_web.jpg

Tadpole - Granted, it's not the primary subject of the photo, it still counts though!
IMG_4749_web.jpg

Something your city is known for - Mobile, AL. We're known for Azaleas (I think... we DO have a historic/natureish trail named the Azalea trail... so I'm assuming here. I'm sure that not many people know much about Mobile anyway, so I think I can sell this. Too bad it's not Mardi Gras season, as we DO have the oldest one of those in the country... yes, older than New Orleans.... not that I have any desire to head downtown for the parades though...)
IMG_5161_web.jpg

So, there's 4/10. I do plan on walking home tomorrow if I'm feeling better (was sick yesterday, out sick today...) so should get some that count (except the Azaleas, they're not in season right now, and those above were stretching it for theirs, from what I understand).

Also, I'm going to be turning in some of the work late, don't flunk me! I'll be on vacation from 13 Sept - 22 Sept. It's an excused absence to visit Disn...erm.... my ailing relative. Really.

Thanks Pea-n-Me! It looks like you are off to a good start Cafeen and Princess!

Princess in Oz - Have you ever tried a Durian? The first time I saw that fruit on TV was on Chef vs Cityy and they made a drink out of it which they said was surprisingly good. I can't imagine anyone getting that far with it from the way the smell is described!

Thanks! Hey, it's my pleasure!

It's a little stressful getting started (especially when you lose a whole list! :headache: ) but it's so much fun afterward, it's worth it!

Way to get us started, guys! Princess, you just kill me with what you have in your arsenel over there! :laughing:

I have a few of my own (that admittedly may have inspired some of the categories :teeth: ).

Gears

P5250774.jpg

Rise and Shine

P5250707.jpg

Mohawk or Mullet (You know we have to have Mullet!) :rotfl:

P5250782.jpg

Soulful - My Girl

P4298303.jpg

I have some from my recent WDW trip:

Antiquated (Snow White's Scary Adventures is gone)
Antiquated2.jpg

Antiquated.jpg

Antiquated - an 85 year old Bonsai
Antiquated3.jpg

Double Decker the tallest topiary
Double_Decker.jpg
Double_Decker2.jpg

Fishy

315.jpg

Hot Air Balloon and Upside Down
Hot_Air_Balloon.jpg

Illumination
Illumination.jpg

Illumination2.jpg

Illumination3.jpg

Mosaic
Mosaic_2.jpg

Nobility
Nobility_.jpg

King or in this case Queen of the Beasts
Nobility5.jpg

Cinderella and Prince Charming
Nobility4.jpg

Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip
Nobility3.jpg

Roses
Rose1.jpg

Upside Down
Upside_Down1.jpg

Upside_Down2.jpg

Welcome
Welcome1.jpg

Welcome2.jpg

What is it? - Naked Mole Rat
What_is_It3.jpg

What is it? - Dragon Topiary
What_is_It1.jpg

Zig Zag
Zig_Zag1.jpg

Kidani's lobby has a lot of zig zag patterns in it
Zig_Zag2.jpg

"O" Animal
Ostrich
O_Animal.jpg

O_Animal_3.jpg

O_Animal4.jpg

Okapi
O_Animal2.jpg

Owl
O_Animal_5.jpg

Yawn
Yawn_.jpg

Yawn2_.jpg

Nice pics everyone.

Princess in Oz - Have you ever tried a Durian? The first time I saw that fruit on TV was on Chef vs Cityy and they made a drink out of it which they said was surprisingly good. I can't imagine anyone getting that far with it from the way the smell is described!

Twigs - I'm a child of Asia! Durian used to be one of my favourite fruits. It has a very distinctive odour but the taste is pure custard ambrosia. :love:

It was one of the first fruits I made sure I ate when I was recently in Hong Kong.

Cafeen - Nice to see you back posting.:goodvibes

Twigs, I loved your Zigzag and Yawn!

How is everyone coming along? Anyone gotten out yet?

What is it? - I took a walk across the campus of the University of South Alabama (it was a utilitarian walk, I was walking home from work) and saw these birds. I've spent hours trying to identify them, and have come up empty. Of course, I'm most definitely not a "birder". But, I still have no clue what it is!
IMG_4596_web.jpg

Looks to be some sort of Muscovy Duck maybe? The feathers don't match at all though... :confused3

Great list Pea-n-Me! I can't wait to get started today- I've already got some ideas floating around in my head! :woohoo: Great pictures so far everyone!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter