Votes: 1 11.1%
  • GoPro

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
Alright, photo buffs, we have a cruise planned for July to celebrate DS' HS graduation. I'm trying to decide what to do regarding cameras (what to bring). I have a number of choices and each offers pros/cons:

Cell Phone (Samsung Note 20)
Pro: I'll be bringing it regardless. 12MP
Cons: I'd rather not worry about having a pocket to put it in (no straps). Don't really want to carry my cell phone everywhere. OK in automatic mode, but getting around manual mode isn't intuitive. Not sure how good low light is (for shows). Hard to hold steady when zoomed in.

DSLR (Nikon D7000)
Pros: Lots of manual adjustment. 16MP. Does very well in low light. Depending on which lenses I bring, has better zoom & bookah. Easier to hold steady. LOTS of storage (can hold 2x SDHC cards, I currently have 2x 64Gb cards in). Great high ISO capability.
Cons: Bulk. Not waterproof

GoPro Hero+
Pros: Small Size. Waterproof. I think can be setup for time lapse (sunset?). Wide Angle
Cons: No viewfinder. Battery life(?). 8MP. I keep getting confused on what button does what. No zoom. Pretty wide angle.

Panasonic TS3
Pros: Compact. Waterproof. "look through" VF
Cons: Haven't used it in years. On past cruises, this is what I carried around the ship and on beaches. 12MP

I can easily see using all four while on a trip, but of course, each requires it's own charger.

My answer would be 'depends' on what you plan to do with the pictures/video. If you want to make enlargements to perhaps hang on the wall as a way to remember your trip, then a DSLR is best for that. Do you have various interchangeable lens for close-up vs. telephoto shots? Do you want to carry all of that around all day for few pictures? If you only want postage stamp sized 'snap-shots' to post online somewhere, then even your cell phone will work for that.

Video is a whole other thing. How much of your vacation time do you want to spend setting up for that 'perfect' video/action? Do you want to lug around a tripod? Recording video usually requires you to plan to some sort of action/movement or else you might as well just take still pictures. Do you also want to record audio and is the microphone of good enough quality to do that? If you want to video some shore excursion, what happens if it is windy that day and the only sounds you get are background wind noise? I find it takes time away from your vacation/family if you are going to spend a lot of time looking for the right place to take pictures/video. What do you plan to do with the video after your vacation? Are you going to edit it into something else? Do you run some kind of blog where you want to upload it? What kind of editing software do you have since you probably aren't going to upload raw video scenes. Will you want to add audio/music? Lately when I watch golf tournaments on TV, people are always holding up their camera to get a video of some golfer. What exactly they are ever going to do with that I have no idea.

If you want your entire family/group in many of the shots are you willing to hand your camera/phone to some stranger to take that picture? Or are you mostly interested in vacation location 'scenery' type shots? Those are the things to consider when deciding what particular device to carry around at the parks.

To answer some questions...

Not packing a tripod. Debating about a magic arm that I have (Magic arm) w/clamp.

I do have three lenses for the DSLR... 18-55mm, 50mm (1.8), 55-200mm).

While I will probably record video, I'm not as concerned about audio. I hope to put a video together afterwards to music. I have editing software on my home PC (preferred) and laptop.

Aside from the video, will I find something to print out/hang on the wall? Maybe. I like taking "cool" shots, and memorializing the trip. Look in my signature for the review I did of our Oasis trip and the video I did after our Freedom of the Seas trip.

As mentioned above, it depends on what you are going to do with the finished product. My wife has a Canon point and shoot that takes very nice photos. Depending on how far, close or background you can get some wall hangars out of it.
I'm still a little prejudiced against cell phone cameras as little more than "I was there" shooters. I know they have come a long way but it's just my humble opinion.
The other advantage of the above two is their compact size. Easy to carry around and shoot something in the moment.
If I'm going for pro shots for blow-ups and wall hangars I take all my SLR gear and divide it out into what I think I'll need. Hopefully I get it right as there's nothing worse than lugging a bunch of heavy gear and still not having the right lens or body to come back with the perfect shot. I'll post below a shot of 90% of my gear, then one of a packed bag. It's been awhile, but it looks like I packed the bag for outside open country. I've got a nice tripod which isn't in the pictures. The monopod is attached to the outside of the bag.

20151117_170158.jpg

20170512_121412.jpg

I typically bring a d7500 with 18-300mm lens (replaced my d7000);
an Olympus tg3 (waterproof) and
Panasonic lx100 (easy to stow in pocket for walks in areas where a dslr draws unwanted attention).

I like to travel as light as possible but photography is a fun part of the trip for me and I always make a photobook at the end of vacation for my souvenir.
So it took awhile to find a balance in what gear I bring.
I tried leaving home the dslr once and spent the whole time frustrated with not getting the shots I wanted.

I'm leaning toward all of them, obviously I'll have my cell phone (but plan on leaving it in the safe). There are certain times I can see using the DSLR... on board and we have sunset sail booked in San Juan. Then I'd want the Panasonic for beach/water play. The GoPro is so small, why not?

You may want to have your cellphone on you aboard the ship. Many lines haves app that you can down load to use a communication with others onboard, book dining or show reservations and see what schedule events are happening. I keep mine in a clear case with a strap.

You may want to have your cellphone on you aboard the ship. Many lines haves app that you can down load to use a communication with others onboard, book dining or show reservations and see what schedule events are happening. I keep mine in a clear case with a strap.
I know I have that option, I just don't want to use it. I don't need to be in constant contact with anyone (travelling with 5 others), dining is already booked, and I'm pretty sure the ship doesn't do show reservations.

Not saying you do it, but I wonder how many of those who criticize those who use lanyards for their keycards, because it "reminds them of work", has no problem carrying a cell phone around.

My wife used to always bring her DSLR, tripod, and 3-4 lenses. 4-5 years ago she stopped. She said on trips she brought her DSLR it started feeling like work taking pictures and knowing the editing time she would spend on the back end once the vacation was over. The focus on getting the picture took away from the enjoyment of the vacation.

It has all been replaced by candid shots from the cell phone. The cell phone has even replaced our purpose bought waterproof camera. Phones are effectively waterproof at this point. We do put it in a floating waterproof cell phone case just in case it gets dropped in the ocean or pool.

I vote for just the phone.

Last edited:
I know I have that option, I just don't want to use it. I don't need to be in constant contact with anyone (travelling with 5 others), dining is already booked, and I'm pretty sure the ship doesn't do show reservations.

Not saying you do it, but I wonder how many of those who criticize those who use lanyards for their keycards, because it "reminds them of work", has no problem carrying a cell phone around.
I keep my phone with me because I hate carrying a big camera. It is easy to grab for a quick photo if I see dolphins or whales.( Once I saw an old sub pop up next to the DCL Magic while doing a transatlantic. I did not have a camera with me and regretted being able to take a picture) Sometimes it is in my backpack with my towel and sunscreen. I keep my card in my husband's pocket or in my sunglasses case. I use my phone to meet up with my family. We like to do different things on the cruise and have different sleep schedules. A quick text of where are you is a lot easier for my husband than searching for me. He has limited mobility.

This is a bit like asking someone else whether you will like chocolate or vanilla ice cream more.

On a trip like this, I would be very disappointed not to have my best camera along. Someone else would be really annoyed at having to carry my DSLR around on a similar trip. There just isn't a "right" answer that applies to everyone.

Personally, I would want the highest quality photos of such a special family trip. But for someone else, phone shots would be adequate.

If you are doing any sort of adventure excursions, bring the go pro with the proper mounting equipment.
For previous cruises, we’ve used the still camera (waterproof point and shoot), cell phone cameras and go pro. We don’t have a dslr.

My wife used to always bring her DSLR, tripod, and 3-4 lenses. 4-5 years ago she stopped. She said on trips she brought her DSLR it started feeling like work taking pictures and knowing the editing time she would spend on the back end once the vacation was over. The focus on getting the picture took away from the enjoyment of the vacation.

It has all been replaced by candid shots from the cell phone. The cell phone has even replaced our purpose bought waterproof camera. Phones are effectively waterproof at this point. We do put it in a floating waterproof cell phone case just in case it gets dropped in the ocean or pool.

I vote for just the phone.
this is me...DSLR has been in the closet for about 5 years now (I should really do something about all the lenses). Now is just the phone with waterproof pouch and GoPro (for truly under water pics)

Mostly my iPhone 13 Pro. I pay for the better camera. I have a mirrorless Fuji camera that I will take, but I don't use that much because I don't want to lug it around hiking.

I got tired of carrying all my dSLR equipment around, and a laptop on vacation, so I mainly stick with my iPhone, and can still manage to eek out some beautiful pictures. DD is even better than me. She has the iPhone 12 Pro Max (I still have an 8 Plus, but am due for an upgrade) and it can really take some nice shots (and she knows how to use it, which, really, is key). I haven’t been on a cruise in a while so I would probably be tempted to take a few lenses with the dSLR, and/or the mirrorless, but in my small bag, not the mega-bag. DS took his Go Pro on last vacation and had some fun with it. I spent so much time taking phoots on vacation that I enjoy being able to relax more now with just my phone in my pocket. I take it everywhere so it’s always with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter