Photo Taking & Video Recording

BarbaraMB

<font color=CC99CC>Is right! Good tags come to th
When it comes to taking photos I can pretty much know when NOT to use flash photography. When it comes to videotaping (without that annoying light on) which attractions are you NOT allowed to tape? Has anyone ever had their video camera going inside TOT?

I have done it but technically your aren't supposed to. I had my video camera in my lap pointed towrds my daughter and you could see her screaming face when light would come through, it's great video.

I don't remember anyone ever saying you cannot record there, the problem is I don't think you want the camera flying all over the place when the elevator is dropping. But I know one thing, you cannot use lights there.

We videotaped on TOT and Splash Mtn and a little inside the Haunted Mansion but it's way too dark in there. We have footage of all of us dropping down the Mtn on SplMtn and the drop on TOT. I know certain attractions the CM's will announce when you can't use a camcorder, i.e. Universe of Energy, all the 3D shows, the Little Mermaid come to mind.
I know we've taped inside the Great Movie Ride with no problem also.

If I recall, they ask you not to videotape. But, I think they mean using the light on your video tape as that would prob. ruin some of the special effects for everyone. On several attractions (ie: America Pavillion movie/show) they asked for no videotaping, but I saw people taping away w/o the light.

On our video camera, we have a night vision option ... that's what DH used to tape Spectromagic b/c they do not allow the lights from the video cameras as it can effect the vision of the drivers. He also taped some of the fireworks and it came out nicely. I wish he would have gotten Tinks descent from the castle! Oh, well ... maybe next time!

Originally posted by Daxx
If I recall, they ask you not to videotape. But, I think they mean using the light on your video tape as that would prob. ruin some of the special effects for everyone. On several attractions (ie: America Pavillion movie/show) they asked for no videotaping, but I saw people taping away w/o the light.

On our video camera, we have a night vision option ... that's what DH used to tape Spectromagic b/c they do not allow the lights from the video cameras as it can effect the vision of the drivers. He also taped some of the fireworks and it came out nicely. I wish he would have gotten Tinks descent from the castle! Oh, well ... maybe next time!

When they say no video taping, that is exactly what they mean.
On attractions such as Space Mountain, Body Wars, TOT there is a safety hazard as well as perhaps a copyright reason.
The fact that you have seen people do this in spite of being asked not to does not mean it is ok.
If they make the announcement of no taping, no photography (flash or otherwise) please, take them at their word and don't do it.

If I recall, they ask you not to videotape. But, I think they mean using the light on your video tape as that would prob. ruin some of the special effects for everyone.

When they say no video taping, that is exactly what they mean.
Well we did the video of TOT in May '98 and there was no announcement of no videotaping that year---it may have changed since then ? I just rode TOT most recently Nov '02 but I didn't pay particular attention to video taping guidelines---we haven't taped on this attraction in over 5 years. I'm sure things have changed since then. Also, I never recall an announcement for no video taping on Splash Mtn ? If there is one, when is it announced ? Is there a sign ? I don't recall ever seeing one. Last time we video taped here was Aug '00. I honestly don't feel we were in violation of anything at the times we did it. Present time may be different.

Except for Haunted Mansion, Dinosaur, Space Mountain and RnRC, I videoed all the "E-tickets" on our last trip in March. I specifically asked on every ride we went on, and the only one I was advised NOT to tape on was Dinosaur.

Haunted Mansion I attempted to tape on without night vision, but it was way too dark to be worth it. I have heard that the night vision option emits some sort of "light" or sensors or something that interfer with the ride, so I didn't use it. Space and RnRC were risky because of the lighting as well, although I would've tried it on RnRC if it wasn't my first time on the ride. I would've asked, of course, and if they had said no, I certainly wouldn't have taped.

As for ToT - I absolutely LOVE my video of it, and I asked before we went into the elevator if it was allowed without external lighting. I even caught our "bellhop" giving the camera a particularly ominous look as the doors closed!! It's terrific.

I have heard that it's not permitted, but if there's no announcement and ESPECIALLY if you ask before boarding (as I did for Big Thunder and Test Track as well), I don't forsee any problems, as long as you can hold on to the camera.

PS - Big Thunder is terrific on video!!

I even caught our "bellhop" giving the camera a particularly ominous look as the doors closed!! It's terrific.
We have this also, but at the end of the ride. The bellhop says something into our camcorder like "I see you've made it back ?" in an ominous tone.....funny stuff.

Originally posted by MiaSRN62
Well we did the video of TOT in May '98 and there was no announcement of no videotaping that year---it may have changed since then ? I just rode TOT most recently Nov '02 but I didn't pay particular attention to video taping guidelines---we haven't taped on this attraction in over 5 years. I'm sure things have changed since then. Also, I never recall an announcement for no video taping on Splash Mtn ? If there is one, when is it announced ? Is there a sign ? I don't recall ever seeing one. Last time we video taped here was Aug '00. I honestly don't feel we were in violation of anything at the times we did it. Present time may be different.

Maria,
No announcement, then video tape, but, my point was, if there is an annoucement, then it means don't do it.

I would really like to know how difficult it is to concentrate on holding on to your camcorder while experiencing the turns, bumps and drops of the various rides? I would LOVE to get some video of it but don't want to break the camera either. Any tricks or hints?

Some idiot tried to tape the screen in Star Tours. They announced over the speaker during the ride fo rhim to shut off his camera. Evidently he didn't listen because they stopped the ride until he turned it off. Everyone else booed at him, he was quite embarassed.
I believe there is a copyright deal with Lucas and the movie in Star Tours.
But I have videos of many other rides and its fun to watch them later.

BC

Maria, No announcement, then video tape, but, my point was, if there is an annoucement, then it means don't do it.
Gail, thanks for clarifying your statement.....I think I misunderstood because of what you stated here :
On attractions such as Space Mountain, Body Wars, TOT there is a safety hazard as well as perhaps a copyright reason.
You specifically mentioned TOT as being a safety hazard and copyright infringement. This was my point ? I never heard any warning about videotaping on either of these two attractions and that was the reason for my post. In fact, 2 or 3 CM's witnessed us videotaping during TOT and never said a thing---in fact, they hammed for the camera ?

I would really like to know how difficult it is to concentrate on holding on to your camcorder while experiencing the turns, bumps and drops of the various rides? I would LOVE to get some video of it but don't want to break the camera either. Any tricks or hints?
Very difficult ! lol Big Thunder was harder than TOT and Splash. My only suggestion would be to set your camcorder for "action" shots if you have this capability, and hold the camera as close to your body as possible to secure and steady it. The footage will be jumpy but it can be done.

Gail,
Thanks once again for making the point that NEEDS to be made. If if says NO VIDEO TAPING OR FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY it really does mean just that.

Just because you see someone else doing it doesn't make it ok for you to. We were all taught as kids you wouldn't jump off a bldg. just because your friends do. They will grow up to be the kind of adults we set as an example for them. If you do not have to mind the authoratative figure, why should they? And it just may be you who is the authority who is being ignored and it just may be something as important as their safety their next time. We need to set a good example. Don't tape just because someone else did.

There are reasons for every rule that seems stupid at Disney.

Originally posted by MiaSRN62
Gail, thanks for clarifying your statement.....I think I misunderstood because of what you stated here :

You specifically mentioned TOT as being a safety hazard and copyright infringement. This was my point ? I never heard any warning about videotaping on either of these two attractions and that was the reason for my post. In fact, 2 or 3 CM's witnessed us videotaping during TOT and never said a thing---in fact, they hammed for the camera ?

Very difficult ! lol Big Thunder was harder than TOT and Splash. My only suggestion would be to set your camcorder for "action" shots if you have this capability, and hold the camera as close to your body as possible to secure and steady it. The footage will be jumpy but it can be done.

Hi again,
When TOT first opened it was announced that no videotaping was allowed, apparently it has changed . Body Wars is a no no, and I don't believe that has changed. Space Mountain used to be a no no also, not sure if it has changed. I think I merged what is allowed with obvious safety hazards and I am sorry for the confusion. I do know that I would not be amused if on Space Mountain someone's video camera managed to take flight and land on me. That is what was meant by safety hazard.

BarbaraMB:

I think it'll depend what kind of camera you have - how big it is, what type of viewfinder you've got, if it can handle the action. A few years ago, I taped Big Thunder using a regular viewfinder, up to my eye, and it was pretty darn difficult. You really risk losing an eye!! :eek: I managed to do it, but my most recent venture was much more successful. My new camera has a side screen and is a bit smaller than the older one - it's a Sony...418? Something like that. ANYWAY....

If you have the side screen, it's a bit easier to hold it steady with two hands, and ALWAYS with the strap around your neck, and just keep the corner of an eye on the screen so you know you're not getting only the back of someone's head. If you get daring, you can try gripping the camera with one hand, but it's steadier with two. I reccommend finding some sort of focus point (like the first car, the shoulder of the person in front of you, etc.) and keep it in the shot so you have a reference when you take a quick glance to make sure you're getting the ride.

If you want the "experience" of being on Big Thunder, which I did, I'd reccommend taping with just a corner of the train in the frame so you can get the rails and scenery in. It forced me to keep the lens steady and now is a virtual ride on Big Thunder whenever I need my fix!!

Splash Mountain - yep, like Mia said, it's easier than Big Thunder. You're fine until the final drop, then it's all up to reflexes and fate. I've had pitch darkness in some tapes, splashes in others, WAVES of water in the last one. They're all fun to watch though!! (Especially to hear my sister squealing at the wetness!!)

Originally posted by pintrader
Gail,
Thanks once again for making the point that NEEDS to be made. If if says NO VIDEO TAPING OR FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY it really does mean just that.

The only comment that I'll add to the discussion is to pay very close attention to the content of the message. Many, MANY of the attractions will request that you not use a camcorder with "an external lighting source". If you don't pay close attention to the actual meaning of the announcement, it's easy to assume that videotaping is completely prohibited.

If all else fails, ask a CM. May save some embarassment if you missed a sign or announcement, or if a lazy CM forgets an annoucement while boarding.

Another attraction that completely prohibits videotaping and photography is Alien Encounter. We were part of a group of only about 20 going through the attraction. It was very clearly stated that videotaping was prohibited before we entered. However, during the teleportation pre-show, a CM first came on the PA and asked someone in the group to stop taping, and minutes later stopped the show entirely to finally address the problem.

You're right - that was another attraction I didn't tape. Of course, even after all these years, AE is the only WDW attraction that terrifies me, so I'm not sure I ever even WANTED to tape it! My head plays viscious tricks on me in the dark!!

I also remember an announcement on RnRC before you go into the recording session with Aerosmith requesting no photography or video, but I'm not sure if that's just for that portion or the entire experience.

PLEASE PLEASE consider not trying to tape on ToT!!!!!!! As someone who was ACTUALLY HIT by a flying camcorder on this ride, I cannot stress enough how dangerous it is and how much it now scares me to see people taping on all "thrill" rides. I know that people are careful, but it just takes a little to lose it...the guy supposedly had the cord wrapped around his hand three times, but he still lost his grip and I still got some nice black eye, knots on my head, etc. PLEASE think about this before you do it, especially if your kids are near you...I'm sorry if I'm being too strong about this, but it really does scare me now and I don't want other people to get hurt.

I had a very similar experience to WDWAurora on ToT and it ended up ruining the rest of that day as I had a mighty nasty headache from a large goosegg on my head (though thankfully no black eye). I don't want to start a fight or get flamed over this- I just want to let those of you who choose to videotape on these rides know that just because you think you're holding on tight doesn't mean something might not go out of your control on rides like that that are a bit more violent. I know you'd like to have the tape for a memory later, but it seems unfair when you ruin someone else's day as a result... Believe me, I wish I could've spent the rest of that day in the parks, not in my hotel room with a splitting headache. I have no problem with taping sans lights on rides where they say it's ok, but please please PLEASE use some common sense....rides with a lot of jerking and movement like that where you're close to other people can result in unexpected things occuring. The fact that two of us on here have experienced this means there's likely dozens more out there...

WDWAurora- I ended up having Disney people seemingly "following" me around for the next couple days after that, did you? My theory was they were wanting to make sure I was okay so I wouldn't sue later? Very strange...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter