photography

capnblackbeard

0i 0i 0i<br><font color="00a0ba">Anybody know what
Any one go to school for it? I want to really bad I have taken some good photos an think I have an eye for it. So people who are taking classes when you first started did you know anything about it? I know how to put film in an slr an thats about it. Im kind of nervous to be doing this subject since I dont know much about it so how much did you know before you decided to take a class? And if you already took a class was it hard finding a job in photography?

I find that the jobs out there are scarce unless you get a job in a already existing photo studio but I have found that to be very monotonous and they only allow you to take a certain kind of pictures and take them within their guidlines. One studio I worked in even went so far as to take away the gels for their lights so we couldn't use them anymore. Apparently we were getting too creative and other studios were not able to copy what we were doing so nobody was allowed to do anything outside of their required shots.
The best way to start is to become your own boss or else you get stuck in a doing one type of photography....i.e. weddings, children, portraits. If you ahve your own bsiness then you can do all types with no restrictions. It takes a lot though. i am currently working on getting my name out there by starting with doing photography for friends and family. Good luck !
And yes, I was good at it before I went to school. They just helped me hone my technique and learn to develop and print my own stuff. (Which takes lots of money just to set-up your own darkroom.) It's almost worth it just to go to school to use thier darkroom for developing and printing. just enough classes to be considered a student.
Buy some good photography books and start reading. It will help a lot!

One thing you might want to consider is starting your own business for photography. My father did that and while he does not have a photography degree (he's got it in psychology and business) he now runs a pretty decent photography studio for wedding photography and bridal portraits out of my parents home. Running it out of the home cuts back on the overhead costs, allows you to photograph within YOUR guidelines, not someone elses, and you can choose how to advertise. For instance, my father is one who has never advertised but gets his business through word of mouth and recommendations. At first you may need to advertise, but starting off by photographing weddings for reduced prices may entice the recently engaged to select you, an amateur (I use that in the nicest sense), as opposed to the professional who has been doing it for years (and who consequently charges $2000 for the wedding photography). Start trying it out during your college years, chose a major you like, take some photography classes, because you have all of your freshment year to really decide. :) If you need any advice on starting up a photography business PM me though, I'm pretty familiar with how my father has ran his so can perhaps get some more tips for ya.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter