Photopass and other things Disneyland is making people do that are very annoying and expensive

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I was having an interesting conversation with my parents yesterday and what I find surprising and shocking is every time that people go to Disneyland and they want to meet characters they always have a cast member ask them about Photopass before joining the meet and greet line and I have never understood what is the big deal about Photopass pictures with the characters because to me I see this Photopass as part of the new style of character meet and greets at Disneyland. But paying expensive prices for a photo of your kids with the characters is just odd. Because I remember when you could take your own camera and take your own pictures of your kids with characters was easy and free but now ever since character meet and greets returned in 2022 Disneyland has promoted this Photopass more than ever and I think for the time and quality of the character photo the price of Photopass should be lowered at a cheaper price to save money. I don't know who came up with Photopass but Disneyland should as I said lower the price of the photos. Another annoying thing that Disneyland is doing is why are they selling expensive parade and show dining packages for big bucks? Because I have never figured out why these parade and show dining packages are such big sellers for Disneyland and they should have cheaper parade and show dining packages as a money saver. Why I think they mainly sell these dining packages during parades and shows is to draw people in to the park. And another annoying thing is that Disneyland does is try to sell the Photopass at character breakfasts and it used to be that those were optional for people who reserved character breakfasts but if you go to Plaza Inn they still ask you if you want Photopass character photos. If Disneyland were to improve these two things it would be more enjoyable indeed

While photopass is an extra cost, it's really fairly cheap for what you get for a week's worth of photos in the parks, especially if you have kids wanting to meet all of the characters. It allows you to just live in the moment and enjoy yourself while someone else captures it for you. We got it the last time we were in the parks and actually really enjoyed it.

I'm also not sure why they would make dining packages cheaper if they sell out already... They're not used to get people into the park - they're used to guarantee a good spot for a show without needing to save a spot hours in advance. People are willing to pay a premium for that.

Genie+ or ILL? Now those are objectively terrible.

When we went 3 weeks ago, there wasn’t a single Photopass photographer at any meet and greet that we did. Once we got to the character, the CM asked if we wanted them them to take our pic, and reached out to take our phone from us. This was at Jack Skellington in NOS (near pirates), at Goofy and at Daisy in Toontown, and Baymax, Mater(?), & a female Avenger @ DCA. I was kinda surprised, especially at the permanent character spots, that there were no PPs.

They do have a PP, as far as I know, in the meet Mickey at his house. But it’s always been like that. Years ago they’d give you a ticket/card to present at the shop on Main Street to see and purchase any pics that you wanted. Then they would use your app code if you had it and give you a ticket if you didn’t. Now they only use the cards if nothing else works (card or MB+). They spend longer trying multiple devices than they would to just whip out a card.

We had to really hunt for the PPs. There were the ones at the big landmarks at the parks, but I could swear there used to be a lot more of them especially at the minor landmarks (the old Kodak spots). And I thought that, in the before times, a PP accompanied the wandering characters along with the handlers.
There were definitely fewer photographers than I remember there being in the parks pre-Covid.

When we went 3 weeks ago, there wasn’t a single Photopass photographer at any meet and greet that we did. Once we got to the character, the CM asked if we wanted them them to take our pic, and reached out to take our phone from us. This was at Jack Skellington in NOS (near pirates), at Goofy and at Daisy in Toontown, and Baymax, Mater(?), & a female Avenger @ DCA. I was kinda surprised, especially at the permanent character spots, that there were no PPs.

They do have a PP, as far as I know, in the meet Mickey at his house. But it’s always been like that. Years ago they’d give you a ticket/card to present at the shop on Main Street to see and purchase any pics that you wanted. Then they would use your app code if you had it and give you a ticket if you didn’t. Now they only use the cards if nothing else works (card or MB+). They spend longer trying multiple devices than they would to just whip out a card.

We had to really hunt for the PPs. There were the ones at the big landmarks at the parks, but I could swear there used to be a lot more of them especially at the minor landmarks (the old Kodak spots). And I thought that, in the before times, a PP accompanied the wandering characters along with the handlers.
There were definitely fewer photographers than I remember there being in the parks pre-Covid.
I haven't been since COVID, so that sounds really disappointing! Based on your experience, we may wait to purchase PP when we're there in Jan depending on how many photographers are around.

If they barely have any photographers roaming with characters, or just roaming the parks in general, photopass is a pretty awful value then... I would probably purchase individual photos at that point.

I also hope that with Photopass in the future that this isn't the beginning of Disneyland having to charge people money to meet characters and get autographs along with Photopass as well because as I said in my opening post I think this is Disneyland's new style of meeting characters in the future. And what I think Disneyland should do is improve their selling of show/parade dining packages because I see it as a way to get an expensive deal with the dining package. Like DCA had a dining package when Rogers The Musical came out and when the prices for it were expensive and many people passed it up because of the price alone. I certainly think that this is a new experiment that Disneyland has been working on for years to improve the parks and this experiment has worked well for them

They do not ask about Photopass when you enter a line. Where did you get that information?

The vast majority of character meets do not have Photopass.

They do not push Photopass at character meets.

They are not going to start charging for character meets.

Photopass at DL is actually fairly reasonable. It is included with Genie+.

Taking pictures with your own camera is just as fine now as it always was.

Not to be rude, but why would they have "cheaper" versions of all the things you mentioned when they sell a ton of them at the current price? Disney is about making money. That's what they are there for at this point. Its frustrating for those that are just on the edge of affording to go but honestly I don't think those are the people that Disney wants at their park anymore. You can still do everything at the park without the add ons. It just means you will need to make some sacrifices, whether it is using your own phone for pictures with characters or waiting in the stand by line etc. You can still have a good time on whatever budget you have.

This is no longer Walts' Disneyland, they want people with big pocketbooks that will pay for all the add ons and spend big $$ in the parks while they are there.

I loved having photopass! It was included in my Genie+ purchase. The photos from photopass came out way better than ones I took myself. They always offered to take one with my cellphone too. I did it the first few times, but then the photopass ones were always better!!

I haven't been since COVID, so that sounds really disappointing! Based on your experience, we may wait to purchase PP when we're there in Jan depending on how many photographers are around.

If they barely have any photographers roaming with characters, or just roaming the parks in general, photopass is a pretty awful value then... I would probably purchase individual photos at that point.
I say this with all sorts of kindness and am trying to be respectful, but this poster of their own admission has not been to the parks since 2004.

PhotoPass at Dland is included with G+ so is actually a great value. Even if you aren’t getting G+ for your whole party many will do so for one person to have all ride and photo pass photos. Sure beats the $189 I paid at WDW for PhotoPass!

The roaming characters do not usually have a photo pass person with them, but if they have a handler they are more than happy to take your picture. Photo Pass photographers are usually stationed near key landscape points and/or feature the special magic shots.

Have a great trip!

I was having an interesting conversation with my parents yesterday and what I find surprising and shocking is every time that people go to Disneyland and they want to meet characters they always have a cast member ask them about Photopass before joining the meet and greet line and I have never understood what is the big deal about Photopass pictures with the characters because to me I see this Photopass as part of the new style of character meet and greets at Disneyland. But paying expensive prices for a photo of your kids with the characters is just odd. Because I remember when you could take your own camera and take your own pictures of your kids with characters was easy and free but now ever since character meet and greets returned in 2022 Disneyland has promoted this Photopass more than ever and I think for the time and quality of the character photo the price of Photopass should be lowered at a cheaper price to save money. I don't know who came up with Photopass but Disneyland should as I said lower the price of the photos. Another annoying thing that Disneyland is doing is why are they selling expensive parade and show dining packages for big bucks? Because I have never figured out why these parade and show dining packages are such big sellers for Disneyland and they should have cheaper parade and show dining packages as a money saver. Why I think they mainly sell these dining packages during parades and shows is to draw people in to the park. And another annoying thing is that Disneyland does is try to sell the Photopass at character breakfasts and it used to be that those were optional for people who reserved character breakfasts but if you go to Plaza Inn they still ask you if you want Photopass character photos. If Disneyland were to improve these two things it would be more enjoyable indeed
Once again OP, and again we all love enthusiasm for the parks and a good discussion, but this post is full of misinformation, as others have listed.

You have not visited in nearly 20 years, please stop theorizing on things or changes you have no direct experience with. As you can see from a PP it can confuse people who are *actually* planning trips to visit the park!

I believe there is a Disney rumour board that would be more appropriate if you insist on fabricating things.

Photopass is currently included with G+. So if you are planning on using that on any days, it’s almost certainly a better deal to get G+ for the length of your ticket than photopass only each day (especially since you then get both). For our 5-day tickets it was definitely better to get the tix that included G+ (Photopass being included was definitely a factor in our decision). And it’s absolutely cheaper than getting individual photos.

Also, important to know. Ride photos at DL do NOT automatically upload to photopass even with your MB+. You have to get a pic of the photo code from the viewing kiosk then manually enter it into your app. I suggest sending a quick member of your party to go thru the regular exit and snap a pic of the number.

If you miss the opportunity to see your photo, no worries… make a note of the approximate time of your exit from the ride and then take a quick selfie of the people who rode with you. They have CMs whose whole job is finding your “lost” ride photos! They are exceptionally good at finding them if you provide them with a selfie of the people that rode and an approximate time. It’s important to use a selfie taken at the time you rode. Because they use faces, clothing, headwear, and other indicators to find your group. Without that it is much, much harder. Plus that selfie helps you later to “timestamp” your ride. (Ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:)

There is an email contact listed at the photopass link at the bottom of the page on the Disneyland site. Or you can use the general “contact us” link.

They do not ask about Photopass when you enter a line. Where did you get that information?

When you enter some lines (mainly the hub and the castle) there is a handler there that if they see you don’t have MB+‘s, they ask you to pull up the app, and they help you navigate to the tile and find the barcode. They start with the question, “Have you used photopass before on this trip?” Or something similar. I guess that could be construed to seem like they are trying to up-sell you. Idk.

This is the same person who is making sure no one is cutting the line, and keeping the line safely to the perimeter of the area where they are working — directing traffic as it were. They also make sure you know it is a photo line at the castle— “This is the line for photos.”— because a lot of tourists think it’s the line for the castle, like a tour or a ride or something. 🤦‍♀️

The line handler and often the photographer remind you that the photos can be found in the app in the photopass tile. Maybe that sounds like an up-sell to some people, too. 🤷‍♀️

Edit: bad on me for not noticing how long it had been since OP’s last park visit.

@DodgerGirl things have completely changed since you were there last— you cannot make any comparisons. Sure, Disney is still trying to make money at every turn. Heck, basic mouse ear headbands now cost as much or more than my “Glow with the Show” beanie did back in 2015! They’ve gone up $5-10 just in the past two years! But so has everything else everywhere! Inflation doesn’t stop at the tunnels to Main Street.

Disney Parks are expensive! No doubt about it. But it’s not like you make it out to be. It’s been a very long time since you were there. And honestly, I don’t remember a lot of what you seem to. I’ve gone every year or two throughout my 53 years on this earth… save for 2016-2021, due to things beyond my control, including the pandemic.

I’ve seen the days when it cost a few dollars at the gate to get in, and then you used ticket books for the rides. I remember the transitions first to the “Passporter” wristbands (I still have mine) then to charging one price that included all attractions— no more non-rider admissions. That is when my mother stopped going just a few years before her death.

I’ve seen when they had “Happy Hearts Days” especially for disabled kids all the way up into the mid-2000’s somewhere. Single-day tix could be purchased for $15, then $18 through authorized organizations nationwide. We went 2 or 3 times using that program. It was essentially 1/2 price admission for the whole family. But there were specific days during late winter and spring when they offered it. About 15-20 days altogether each year, iirc.

So, I’ve seen many changes thru the years, not all for the better, but I don’t think it was ever as glum as you make it sound.

Last edited:

The vast majority of character meets do not have Photopass.

They do not push Photopass at character meets.

They are not going to start charging for character meets.

Photopass at DL is actually fairly reasonable. It is included with Genie+.

Taking pictures with your own camera is just as fine now as it always was.

What the Lady says.

I just returned from a two week trip. During this two weeks I met pretty much every character I came across. I have the stunning amount of 50 Photopass pictures, with almost 20 being from 3 non-character photo ops (Avengers Campus, Pumpkin, Pumpkin Tree).

No one is pushing Photopass anywhere. Even at the last character meals I did since Covid - granted it were only three - the photopass package was included.

I didn't even had it happen that someone asked if I had used Photopass on this trip before - guess most handlers seem to think handing out the Plastic Cards is faster?

It did feel like the number of Photopass with characters had gone down a little in Town Square and definitely at Carthay. But there's still more than enough photographers at the "Landmark spots" like the Statue, the Castle, Campus entrance etc.

Another annoying thing that Disneyland is doing is why are they selling expensive parade and show dining packages for big bucks? Because I have never figured out why these parade and show dining packages are such big sellers for Disneyland and they should have cheaper parade and show dining packages as a money saver. Why I think they mainly sell these dining packages during parades and shows is to draw people in to the park.

Why? They can make extra money selling prime viewing location. People pay for the convenience. We certainly don't need them making more money by making the next best choice unavailable unless you have a dining package. There absolutely is a money saver right now, it is called "sit on your butt on the curb for 3 hours."

Photopass is currently included with G+. So if you are planning on using that on any days, it’s almost certainly a better deal to get G+ for the length of your ticket than photopass only each day (especially since you then get both). For our 5-day tickets it was definitely better to get the tix that included G+ (Photopass being included was definitely a factor in our decision). And it’s absolutely cheaper than getting individual photos.

Also, important to know. Ride photos at DL do NOT automatically upload to photopass even with your MB+. You have to get a pic of the photo code from the viewing kiosk then manually enter it into your app. I suggest sending a quick member of your party to go thru the regular exit and snap a pic of the number.

If you miss the opportunity to see your photo, no worries… make a note of the approximate time of your exit from the ride and then take a quick selfie of the people who rode with you. They have CMs whose whole job is finding your “lost” ride photos! They are exceptionally good at finding them if you provide them with a selfie of the people that rode and an approximate time. It’s important to use a selfie taken at the time you rode. Because they use faces, clothing, headwear, and other indicators to find your group. Without that it is much, much harder. Plus that selfie helps you later to “timestamp” your ride. (Ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:)

There is an email contact listed at the photopass link at the bottom of the page on the Disneyland site. Or you can use the general “contact us” link.

When you enter some lines (mainly the hub and the castle) there is a handler there that if they see you don’t have MB+‘s, they ask you to pull up the app, and they help you navigate to the tile and find the barcode. They start with the question, “Have you used photopass before on this trip?” Or something similar. I guess that could be construed to seem like they are trying to up-sell you. Idk.

This is the same person who is making sure no one is cutting the line, and keeping the line safely to the perimeter of the area where they are working — directing traffic as it were. They also make sure you know it is a photo line at the castle— “This is the line for photos.”— because a lot of tourists think it’s the line for the castle, like a tour or a ride or something. 🤦‍♀️

The line handler and often the photographer remind you that the photos can be found in the app in the photopass tile. Maybe that sounds like an up-sell to some people, too. 🤷‍♀️

Edit: bad on me for not noticing how long it had been since OP’s last park visit.

@DodgerGirl things have completely changed since you were there last— you cannot make any comparisons. Sure, Disney is still trying to make money at every turn. Heck, basic mouse ear headbands now cost as much or more than my “Glow with the Show” beanie did back in 2015! They’ve gone up $5-10 just in the past two years! But so has everything else everywhere! Inflation doesn’t stop at the tunnels to Main Street.

Disney Parks are expensive! No doubt about it. But it’s not like you make it out to be. It’s been a very long time since you were there. And honestly, I don’t remember a lot of what you seem to. I’ve gone every year or two throughout my 53 years on this earth… save for 2016-2021, due to things beyond my control, including the pandemic.

I’ve seen the days when it cost a few dollars at the gate to get in, and then you used ticket books for the rides. I remember the transitions first to the “Passporter” wristbands (I still have mine) then to charging one price that included all attractions— no more non-rider admissions. That is when my mother stopped going just a few years before her death.

I’ve seen when they had “Happy Hearts Days” especially for disabled kids all the way up into the mid-2000’s somewhere. Single-day tix could be purchased for $15, then $18 through authorized organizations nationwide. We went 2 or 3 times using that program. It was essentially 1/2 price admission for the whole family. But there were specific days during late winter and spring when they offered it. About 15-20 days altogether each year, iirc.

So, I’ve seen many changes thru the years, not all for the better, but I don’t think it was ever as glum as you make it sound.
This is amazing info.!!

I could probably google this, but I'll ask you with all of the experience you have - can I buy just 1 day of genie+ for a single person and download the photos off photopass I want my last day? I ask because we're not planning on doing Genie+ everyday when we go in Jan. We're traveling with our 1 year old and will be going at whatever pace is comfortable. The website says 1 week of photopass is $78, which was my original plan.

Last time I went to the parks they had Maxpass which was fairly cheap, and included photopass so I didn't have to think about any of this :dog2:

This is amazing info.!!

I could probably google this, but I'll ask you with all of the experience you have - can I buy just 1 day of genie+ for a single person and download the photos off photopass I want my last day? I ask because we're not planning on doing Genie+ everyday when we go in Jan. We're traveling with our 1 year old and will be going at whatever pace is comfortable. The website says 1 week of photopass is $78, which was my original plan.

Last time I went to the parks they had Maxpass which was fairly cheap, and included photopass so I didn't have to think about any of this :dog2:
No. You only get the ones for the day you paid.

No. You only get the ones for the day you paid.
Darn, that makes sense though. I'll likely just pay for photopass for the full week then. It's hard to justify Genie+ when we'll be doing a lot of rider swap/single rider and an unpredictable schedule with a baby wanting naps/getting overstimulated.

I'll likely just pay for photopass for the full week then. It's hard to justify Genie+ when we'll be doing a lot of rider swap/single rider and an unpredictable schedule with a baby wanting naps/getting overstimulated.

I am really bad at math and I do not know what the current price of Genie+ is, but before you made a decision, I would compare the prices and go with which one is less expensive. The PhotoPass is worth it (whether you pay for it as a standalone service or get it as part of Genie+). The photographers are excellent and it is money well spent.

Just going to add in here that I get Photopass included with my Inspire Key. It's easy to forget things like that if you don't use it very often, so just wanted to mention it (because I actually forgot the last time I was there until my friend reminded me).

This is amazing info.!!

I think it’s great that photo pass is included with Genie+ at DL, it is not at WDW (ride photos are). No one was trying to pressure me or anyone I was with at DL to buy photopass and I did see many of the photographers offer to take pictures with guests own phones if they didn’t have it. And I didn’t realize it was only $78 for a week of photopass at DL, it about $200 at WDW. I think it’s definitely worth it, some of the photographers are very talented and suggest some great poses, many that you would not normally think of doing. It’s nice to have high quality photos of the whole family. OP, I’m not sure where your information is coming from, respectfully it’s just not true.

Just going to add in here that I get Photopass included with my Inspire Key. It's easy to forget things like that if you don't use it very often, so just wanted to mention it (because I actually forgot the last time I was there until my friend reminded me).

Many also forget (or didn't know) that ride PhotoPass are all currently free for everyone for the 100th celebration. I've lost track of the number of people I've run into that had no idea (there are signs leading into attractions about them currently being free too so it's not just something only listed online/in the app)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter