Photopass coming to RunDisney events!

This would be pretty nice... Plus makes me want to think about getting that memory maker package a bit more...

That's interesting, and it might make things a little easier when ordering photos, I hope. I also wonder if MF will be completely gone or in addition to the Photopass?

That's interesting, and it might make things a little easier when ordering photos, I hope. I also wonder if MF will be completely gone or in addition to the Photopass?
Yeah that's kind of unclear.

Yeah that's kind of unclear.

Seems like there would be fewer photographers if it is all done through Photopass. Also seems like it could get a little confusing in the parks that are open during the events (i.e. AK, DHS, and Epcot during the WDW Marathon). I think it would make sense (both capitalistic and just in general) to continue to have MarathonFoto do the event, but to add Photopass photographers at most of the in-park photo opportunities.

Yep, was posted to the CM hub last last week. Guessing there will be a learning curve for PP since this is totally new to them. I have never been impressed with MarathonFoto so I'm all for this change!
25586570365_9883df131e.jpg

I'm intrigued not so much for the actual photos but the implications & execution of the technology that I assume they will use and what that could mean for all road races...

If I had to guess- they'll utilize 'active rfid' tracking either via magic band or more likely stickers on the bibs (since requiring everyone to get a magic band isn't practical esp since dlr doesnt use my magic..) which would link the pics to accounts like ride photos (so wouldn't need to scan bands at the finish etc)

But looking at the other 'perks' having the whole field with 'active rfid' chips you'd easily be able to know exactly where everyone is on course, be able to pin point specific data like what miles got crowded when down to porta potty wait times.. With the right algorithms you could easily know who ran the whole course, who cut, whose pace didn't match day to day (challenges etc) being able to offer min by min runner tracking etc.. The data available would be mind blowing...

-em

whose pace didn't match day to day (challenges etc)

rD is pretty unique in that this information could be pretty interesting, but almost entirely useless when analyzing if anyone is attempting to cheat the system on a challenge. I like to look at the times when going over the Dopey finishers and it is crazy how many people have really weird times (55:00 5K followed by a 49:00 10K, etc.). I don't even look at those results as suspicious because of the nature of these races.

I do agree that the new possibilities for data could be really cool depending on how they institute the new system.

I'm all for this change as well! But it's going to be interesting to see how it works, because the linked article states: "The new service will bring the benefits of PhotoPass to the runDisney races, including being part of runner's Memory Maker packages, and the My Disney Experience app."

Whereas the terms and conditions of Memory Maker specifically excludes runDisney events. :confused3

As usual for newly-introduced items, it's clear as mud!

(Edited to add that the MM T&Cs are dated December 2015, though)

I'm all for this change as well! But it's going to be interesting to see how it works, because the linked article states: "The new service will bring the benefits of PhotoPass to the runDisney races, including being part of runner's Memory Maker packages, and the My Disney Experience app."

Whereas the terms and conditions of Memory Maker specifically excludes runDisney events. :confused3

This is brand new so I'm sure they will update the terms and conditions soon.

This is brand new so I'm sure they will update the terms and conditions soon.
Yeah, I mean...look at how last-minute they were with the new costume guidelines. :confused3 Hopefully Dark Side runners will get an email explaining the new rules, but you'd think they'd want to iron out the details so that people could buy Memory Maker ahead of time or something.

Yeah, I mean...look at how last-minute they were with the new costume guidelines. :confused3 Hopefully Dark Side runners will get an email explaining the new rules, but you'd think they'd want to iron out the details so that people could buy Memory Maker ahead of time or something.
You'd think they would but we thought the same thing with costume rules.

The only thing that makes me nervous about this is that I don't know that the PhotoPass photographers are trained for this.
I may be wrong, but I like to assume that MarathonFoto photographers have some training or experience with race/sports/action photography. PhotoPass photographers generally take pictures of people who are standing still. I know many people aren't overly impressed with MarathonFoto pictures (although I'm okay with most of my pictures, other than that I usually look stupid), but I'm worried that PhotoPass will be worse quality because they don't have that training or experience.

If the pictures are included with Memory Maker, though ... I'll get over my hesitations.

The only thing that makes me nervous about this is that I don't know that the PhotoPass photographers are trained for this.
I may be wrong, but I like to assume that MarathonFoto photographers have some training or experience with race/sports/action photography. PhotoPass photographers generally take pictures of people who are standing still. I know many people aren't overly impressed with MarathonFoto pictures (although I'm okay with most of my pictures, other than that I usually look stupid), but I'm worried that PhotoPass will be worse quality because they don't have that training or experience.

If the pictures are included with Memory Maker, though ... I'll get over my hesitations.

This is one of the reasons it's hard for me to imagine that the Photopass will be the only race photographers. Seems like Disney would either need to devote all of their Photopass photographers to a race (including hiring quite a few additional photographers on rD weekends) or severely limit the number of photo opportunities available for runners. Seems like that would lead to some angry runners.

I don't know the logistics of everything or what type of deal Disney has with MarathonFoto, but it seems like it would make sense for Disney to continue making whatever they do from MF and simply add the Photopass photographers to capture the segment of runners who wouldn't normally purchase photos through MF (or some other company).

This is one of the reasons it's hard for me to imagine that the Photopass will be the only race photographers. Seems like Disney would either need to devote all of their Photopass photographers to a race (including hiring quite a few additional photographers on rD weekends) or severely limit the number of photo opportunities available for runners. Seems like that would lead to some angry runners.

I don't know the logistics of everything or what type of deal Disney has with MarathonFoto, but it seems like it would make sense for Disney to continue making whatever they do from MF and simply add the Photopass photographers to capture the segment of runners who wouldn't normally purchase photos through MF (or some other company).
That's a good point about them potentially needing to hire more PP to do the races...I guess I just don't see how this benefits Disney financially (because let's be honest...they are a business and want all of our money). Like, do they think doing this will make more people want to buy Memory Maker? :confused3

Like, do they think doing this will make more people want to buy Memory Maker? :confused3

I'm guessing that's it.
This past trip we had Memory Maker anyway, so it wouldn't have influenced my decision, but for my first runDisney trip, I basically said that the only way I would get MM is if it included race photos, which it at the time did not. I'm guessing they think that there are a lot of people like me out there.
That or they don't like what they're being asked to pay MarathonFoto.

Like, do they think doing this will make more people want to buy Memory Maker? :confused3

I have to agree with @SarahDisney on this one. I have never really thought about purchasing Memory Maker, but am now considering it, if it includes race photos, when I go down in January. I'm sure they are thinking it will add to the number of people that buy MM.

That's a good point about them potentially needing to hire more PP to do the races...I guess I just don't see how this benefits Disney financially (because let's be honest...they are a business and want all of our money). Like, do they think doing this will make more people want to buy Memory Maker? :confused3

If they are moving everything to Photopass and Memory Maker I would imagine it is about streamlining everything and bringing as much of the rD experience under Disney control as possible. Depending on how their deal with MF has been structured I can imagine scenarios in which it could be beneficial to continue working with an outside contractor and adding Photopass or for them to move everything to Photopass/Memory Maker and discontinue using any outside contractors. It will be interesting to see what the plan is when more information is available.

If they are moving everything to Photopass and Memory Maker I would imagine it is about streamlining everything and bringing as much of the rD experience under Disney control as possible. Depending on how their deal with MF has been structured I can imagine scenarios in which it could be beneficial to continue working with an outside contractor and adding Photopass or for them to move everything to Photopass/Memory Maker and discontinue using any outside contractors. It will be interesting to see what the plan is when more information is available.
Agreed. So are we looking at runDisney potentially managing registrations on their own, and not having Active.com do it? :faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter