Picked up New Glasses-Post 32+ New Question

flyingdumbo127

DIS Veteran
I wear Rx glasses for driving. I've had the same Rx for 20+ years that has recently gotten stronger, especially in my left eye. I have TMJ (jaw joint) issues and need glasses to be very lightweight. I found some purple frames I really liked at Wal-Mart this morning, best of all they were among the $9 selection.

My current Rx sunglasses have basic poly carbonate lenses with the anti glare coating. The frames themselves are smaller than my new ones would be. FYI and discrepancy here is Wal-Mart and other places indicated that because the frames are bigger that is part of the increased cost with the new lenses. Target said that (frame size) should not be a factor!

Wal-Mart gave me prices for three different sunglass lense choices. ALL three lense choices would be UV400 and Scratch Resistance.

Here's the big "eek," keep in mind I do not know anything about lense types which is why I am turning to all of you :) For basic poly polarized lenses the cost would be $80. The second choice, brace yourself!, is for something called poly Nikon polar lenses, the cost of those would be $200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could pay for over half of the SoCal Select AP! But that is "cheap." The third and most fancy option is to go with something called high index polar lenses that would "only" cost me $230!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not have vision insurance. Wal-Mart unlike Target does not offer Triple A discount nor do they of course have the Red Card. Target cost might be $20 cheaper overall, depends on what options I went with.

Wal-Mart did say, buying two pairs of glasses, one clear and one sun would be a better deal because I would get 20% off the regular glasses (because they are cheaper than the sunglasses). Clear glasses would cost: $119, $134, or $154 (and then I'd get a 20% discount off of whichever of those three choices I went with)

So if I went super duper fancy on both clear and sun glasses the cost would be about $360! YIKES! Did lenses always cost this much?!

I do live in sunny, LA. I do not do much of any night time driving. The only consistent night driving I do is once a week coming home from choir rehearsal at church. That said, the Rx sunglasses are much more important to me to be comfortable and right than the clear lenses.

For me, the most crucial factor is that the lenses be as lightweight as possible. Wal-Mart seemed to say that with my new Rx, the cheapest option would have thicker lenses than what I have now, thus be heavier and noticeable. Target, on the other hand, said there maybe some difference but again my current Rx glasses both sun and clear that I've had now for 3 years are just basic. Target also said the difference may be more cosmetic than function. Do any of you have high index Nikon polar lenses? If so, are they really worth $200?! No optical place I visited had any of these lenses so I could see what they would feel like.

Thank you so much for your help!

Here's the big "eek," keep in mind I do not know anything about lense types which is why I am turning to all of you :) For basic poly polarized lenses the cost would be $80. The second choice, brace yourself!, is for something called poly Nikon polar lenses, the cost of those would be $200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could pay for over half of the SoCal Select AP! But that is "cheap." The third and most fancy option is to go with something called high index polar lenses that would "only" cost me $230!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The $80.00 polycarbonate lens for polarized is a GREAT price.Polycarbonate Len is thinner the the basic cr-39 lens. I've never heard of the Nikon polar lenses sounds like just a name brand thing. Unless your Rx is very high .. I wouldn't spend the money on high index ...

Hope that helps some :)

If you wear your glasses all the time, look into the transition lenses. Then you have one pair of glasses for everything.

I love my Transition lenses! They are a bit up there on the price scale but having one pair for everything makes them so worth it.

Jumping in here re Transition lenses. I had them over 20 years ago and I didn't like them because they never got light enough indoors, they always looked tinted. Are the newer ones better? And are the Transition lenses polarized?

I'm due for an eye exam soon so I may be in the same boat as the OP when choosing what lenses to get.

My doc told me transition isn't great for driving because of the way car windows are treated, the lenses don't transition enough. I got my rx sunglasses at Costco. Price was awesome!

I've had Transitions, but my newest pair of glasses aren't. Transitions are great at first, but after about three years they get kind of "stuck" at a slightly tinted phase. That can be annoying, especially indoors. And since everything you see is slightly sepia-toned, colours are never quite "true", which may or may not matter to you.

With my current lenses, I needed Progressives (I'm both near and far sighted, at the same time!), so I gave up the transitions to save a bit on the cost. It took a little getting used to (it's so bright outside), but I really don't miss it! I don't think I'll ever bother with Transitions again.

I have the driver's edge transition sunglasses for driving which I got at Costco. These are sunglasses so you can't wear them at night or inside but they are fantastic for driving. They change to different colors depending on if it's sunny or cloudy and they are polarized so no glare.
I only wear glasses for driving. I had LASIK 10 years ago and now my vision is 20/30.

Thanks for the replies re Transition lenses; sounds like they've improved, but not quite as much as I'd like. I'll either pay the price of two pair, or see if I can find clip-on sunglasses that don't look too old and fuddy-duddy. :)

It's important to wear sunglasses. I have sunglasses that fit over my prescription glasses. They are widely available and provide extra protection around the tops and sides. Although I can't get cataracts again, I wear them for other reasons.

Big thanks to all of you for your replies!

Lol, to Low Key :)

Andrea, To me it sounded like a camera, though I never have had a Nikon camera :D So do you think that is fancier than what I have now (plain poly carbonate--I think). The sales lady just kept saying the new lenses that route would be thicker. I admit to not knowing how to read my Rx. I THINK my former Rx, the one I had forever was the same in both eyes, something like -3.25 or -3.50. Now my left eye has a 4.25 which I'm understanding is an issue because over 4=more money. Right eye is now -3 and then they both have two other #'s.

Skippy and everyone on transition lenses, right now I only wear glasses when I'm driving so not all the time. The eye doctor said in another 3 or 4 years I may need reading glasses but I don't yet. I've also been recommended to look into those clip ons that go over your glasses, my dad used to have those before he had cataract surgery.

From what I have learned yesterday anyway, there is no sale anywhere on only lenses. Also, when you bring in your own frames, some places charge an extra fee for that. For me, at least with Target there was a few dollar difference literally between using my own frames and buying theirs.

I'll keep all of you posted and thank you again!

I buy my regular glasses from the local eye doctor but I get any back up pairs or sunglasses online. Both eyes are -7 so I can't get a pair for under 300 in person. Online I soent 50 for sunglasses because I don't care if they are a little thick and 120 for regukar glasses.

The sunglasses I use are a complete set of sunglasses that fit completely over a regular set of glasses.

Wilkeliza, there is a local Specs Appeal not far from me, good idea to check them out. Also, and I know this may be a dumb question, but based on their name, do any of you know if Lenscrafters gives discounts on just lenses? That was another idea I had.

Sadie22, I'm not sure what you mean but that does sound interesting!

Solar Shield Fits Over sunglasses that fit over regular glasses. They do not clip onto glasses. They fit over and around regular glasses so you wear both pairs at the same time. When driving and get to a tunnel, put the sunglasses up on top of your head. When at Disney World and enter a building, put the sunglasses on top of your head (or wear them on a holder).

I've had Hi index lenses since I moved from single correction lenses to progressives about 18 years ago. They are much thinner and much lighter than any other option. If you are looking for lightest you can get, you would have to pop for the most expensive lense. $230 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I solved the problem by developing cataracts. Had cataract surgery and for the first time in almost 50 years I don't need glasses at all anymore. (except for reading, but, I'm old and that is expected) :-) So now I just buy regular sunglasses, lightweight, polarized and I do indeed look cool when I am wearing my shades.
I did have one bad result though. It appears that my glasses covered the bags under my eyes and I hadn't noticed that they are so big that I could carry my laundry in them.

Thanks, Sadie for the explanation :)

TvGuy, so glad the High Index works well for you and thanks for sharing that. I'm just stuck still on the jump from $80 to $200 to $230 ell the $200 to $230 (to me is still a lot of money) but certainly nothing like from starting at $80.

Goofyernmost, I'm sure you look very cool. I like your outlook

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter