• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Picking a hotel....

Dbktmc

Mouseketeer
So I need to pick a hotel for my parents. My husband and I are going to Disney with our 7yo from June 12-22nd of this year. My parents just called and told us that they wanted to go with us which is great news. The problem is that cost is a definite factor for them so I need to do this as economically as possible. My original thought was to use my AP discount and get them a preferred room at POP so I went ahead and booked that online. However, I then realized that if I have to be on the reservation as well that it would put us up over the 2 adult limit and we would need to spend $25/night for the extra adult even though I wouldn't be staying there. (The problem is that I have to have both of my parents on the POP reservation so that they can catch the magical express.) I thought about just "trading places" with the reservations and I could "stay" at POP and one of them could stay with my DH and DS. The problem with that is they are not traveling the same dates as us. My parents are only joining us for the final 7 nights and I wouldn't be able to make fast passes for myself when my window opens if I do this.

So.... Unless one of you has an idea that could help me out, I'm stuck picking between the All Star Resorts and I don't know which one to pick. My DH and I have stayed in Music and Sports but that was back when they were brand new and we have no idea about the resorts now. POP is running at $180/night for a preferred room while the All Star resorts are only about $136/night. (We need the preferred location because my dad has a terrible time walking long distances. Please, no comments on how he shouldn't go.)

My last option is that my DH and I will simply pay the difference between the AP rate for POP and the regular rate that my parents are being charged. My DH is on board with this as my parents have been so good to us over our 20 years of marriage and help us out every single time we ask for anything.

What are your thoughts? Can I find a way to use the AP rate and not be in the room? If not, which All Star resort or are we better off not telling my parents about this problem and just quietly paying the difference so that they can stay at POP.

Thank you for any advice that you have!!!

I believe you can book up to 3 rooms under the AP rate. My family just went to ASMo for a week in January and we had 4 rooms booked under the AP rate but only 2 of us had an AP. They never asked us to show our AP cards at check-in, but you could always accompany your parents when they check in to show your card if necessary.

First, call reservations for assistance. See if you actually need to be on their reservation, or if you can just book it for them/others.

If you do end up choosing an All Star, go with Sports. Music has fewer individual preferred rooms. All the Family Suites are preferred.

Finally,
because my dad has a terrible time walking long distances. Please, no comments on how he shouldn't go.)
nope, no comments on that, but you must know the walking at the resort is negligible compared to being in the parks. What's your plan?

So I need to pick a hotel for my parents. My husband and I are going to Disney with our 7yo from June 12-22nd of this year. My parents just called and told us that they wanted to go with us which is great news. The problem is that cost is a definite factor for them so I need to do this as economically as possible. My original thought was to use my AP discount and get them a preferred room at POP so I went ahead and booked that online. However, I then realized that if I have to be on the reservation as well that it would put us up over the 2 adult limit and we would need to spend $25/night for the extra adult even though I wouldn't be staying there. (The problem is that I have to have both of my parents on the POP reservation so that they can catch the magical express.) I thought about just "trading places" with the reservations and I could "stay" at POP and one of them could stay with my DH and DS. The problem with that is they are not traveling the same dates as us. My parents are only joining us for the final 7 nights and I wouldn't be able to make fast passes for myself when my window opens if I do this.

So.... Unless one of you has an idea that could help me out, I'm stuck picking between the All Star Resorts and I don't know which one to pick. My DH and I have stayed in Music and Sports but that was back when they were brand new and we have no idea about the resorts now. POP is running at $180/night for a preferred room while the All Star resorts are only about $136/night. (We need the preferred location because my dad has a terrible time walking long distances. Please, no comments on how he shouldn't go.)

My last option is that my DH and I will simply pay the difference between the AP rate for POP and the regular rate that my parents are being charged. My DH is on board with this as my parents have been so good to us over our 20 years of marriage and help us out every single time we ask for anything.

What are your thoughts? Can I find a way to use the AP rate and not be in the room? If not, which All Star resort or are we better off not telling my parents about this problem and just quietly paying the difference so that they can stay at POP.

Thank you for any advice that you have!!!
If you have to pick an All Star I would pick Movies because half of their buildings have been renovated so they would have a chance at a new room. The Toy Story section there is preferred and is completely renovated.

That’s so sweet that they want to go watch their grandkids have fun. And so nice that you are helping them get a perfect room. I hope you all have a great time. Maybe you can look into an ecv for him? If he’s good with that, you won’t necessarily need a preferred room. Just a thought. He may have a better time if he doesn’t have to worry about tiring.

If you are also staying at Pop in another room, I think you can look for an AP rate for your parents so long as your dates overlap.

So I need to pick a hotel for my parents. My husband and I are going to Disney with our 7yo from June 12-22nd of this year. My parents just called and told us that they wanted to go with us which is great news. The problem is that cost is a definite factor for them so I need to do this as economically as possible.
Have you looked at the cost of the preferred at the value vs a standard room at a Moderate resort? I've been reading that the mods are better with buses than the value resorts. We love staying at Coronado Springs resort, and we've had good luck getting the AP discount on rooms at Coronado Springs in the past. There are bus stops all throughout the resort, and the buses don't really get full. They can also use the buses as an internal "shuttle" if they need to go to El Centro at the front of the resort. Also, CSR is really nicely located right in the middle - equal distance to all the parks (4-7 min bus rides).

To answer your other question - If we were going with our parents my husband and I would probably be willing to discretely pay the difference without telling - I mean, enjoy the experience for all of you!

I hope you all enjoy the trip!

for a preferred room while the All Star resorts are only about $136/night.
If you do end up going with the All Stars, these prices you are quoting are the same as the price with the "Sun & Fun Room Offer" that is available to anyone. So, you could actually book the All Star Music preferred room for 6/15-6/22 at $136/night under that discount and not have to worry about using your AP discount.

Finally, nope, no comments on that, but you must know the walking at the resort is negligible compared to being in the parks. What's your plan?

Believe it or not, we have traveled to Disney with my parents numerous times including our last trip with them 2 years ago. We go pretty slow in the park, only stay in the park for about 4-5 hours/day, and use DAS as necessary.

Thank you to everyone for your words and advice. I booked POP for them and decided to just pay the difference in cost. However, when I told my DH he questioned how much it would be to upgrade them to a moderate hotel. After some searching I found that we can put them in POFQ for only $600 over their budget and we will just cover the difference. We decided that we are going to surprise them the night before they leave so that should be fun!

Thanks again to everyone!!!

Believe it or not, we have traveled to Disney with my parents numerous times including our last trip with them 2 years ago. We go pretty slow in the park, only stay in the park for about 4-5 hours/day, and use DAS as necessary.

Thank you to everyone for your words and advice. I booked POP for them and decided to just pay the difference in cost. However, when I told my DH he questioned how much it would be to upgrade them to a moderate hotel. After some searching I found that we can put them in POFQ for only $600 over their budget and we will just cover the difference. We decided that we are going to surprise them the night before they leave so that should be fun!

Thanks again to everyone!!!
Oh that's way better! POFQ is my favorite resort and it's really compact so they'll love it!

After some searching I found that we can put them in POFQ for only $600 over their budget and we will just cover the difference. We decided that we are going to surprise them the night before they leave so that should be fun!
Nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter