Pictures of characters picking up/holding children?

Foxhound3857

Mischief Managed
I know it's technically against the rules for a character to hold a child, but it was a more common thing pre-2000's, and even before Covid some characters made exceptions to the rule if they took a real liking to the child they were interacting with, and both the child and the parent were okay with it.

Any photos to share of such interactions, characters picking up/holding a child or sitting said child on their lap?

I have pictures of Snow White standing and holding our 3 year old in 2004. They're not digital though so I can't post right now.

I have photos of our daughter being held by several characters -- Alice, Cinderella, Belle, and Mary Poppins -- that were taken at CRT in late 2004 on our first trip to WDW as a family of 3.

At the time, our daughter was 23 months old, and looked just like a real life version of Boo from Monsters Inc. She adored the characters and parades, and we had gone to a parade earlier in the day where she had been waving and blowing kisses at all the princesses. Alice had skipped up to her (Alice wasn't on a float) and made a big fuss over her. Then later that day, Alice came up to us in a very long line at CRT to take our photo with the Fairy Godmother and made a big fuss over our daughter again, telling her she remembered her from the parade earlier that day. Our daughter reached out to her to give her a hug, and when Alice hugged her back, our daughter just kind of melted into her arms, lol. Alice was so sweet and was so clearly touched by this, and stood there just holding her and rocking her back and forth and saying how sweet she was. She asked if she could introduce our daughter to the other princesses who were in the castle that day, and within a minute or so the other 3 were over with us taking turns holding her and hugging her. This went on for about 10 minutes or so while we stood in line, and we were shocked by how much time they spent with her!

I honestly didn't know this was against the rules (though in hindsight I can certainly understand why). My husband took a lot of photos and even shot video of it because we were just so surprised by how much attention she got from them, and how much she ate it up at that age! Honestly it was the cutest thing ever, and a wonderful memory that my husband and I both cherish. :love: I couldn't find the photo of her being held by Mary just now, but here she is being held by the other 3, with her face slightly blurred for privacy reasons.
625035 625036625037

I honestly didn't know this was against the rules (though in hindsight I can certainly understand why).

Like I said though, sometimes characters will make exceptions or bend/break the rules if a child wins them over, regardless of what their handler says. I think part of it also depends on whether or not they can do it safely, and/or if both the child and the parent are okay with it.

But as things stand now, I'm not planning on going back to Disneyland until they allow physical contact with the characters again.

Here's Belle in Disneyland with The Dumpling in 2018, when she was about 15 months old. She was very precocious: talking already and a massive Belle fan - she's four now and Belle is still her favourite princess.

She also got to kiss her second favourite guy. (After Dad.)

It's amazing how fast they grow. This feels like no time has gone by at all, but she's a proper little lady now with curls halfway down her back!

...well, this princess didn't pick up that child per se, but I thought it was interesting that she was walking with her, holding her hand:

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJgpFsiteduFrJXBXj3vUjVg

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJiF0zMLqjkVA35D7BalHcqW

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJgpT1TBbG76h3dR_gkpAYnh

..unfortunately, I don't know what the backstory is.... :confused3 It definitely wasn't a photo op, because there weren't any film crews or cameramen around...maybe a contest winner, or perhaps a Make-a-wish circumstance...?

Not quite picking up, but in 2017 at Akershu's Aerial gave our youngest a good cuddle and a kiss on the forehead. Imagine that today!

img_5479-jpg.629380

Attachments

• IMG_5479.JPG
    IMG_5479.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 61
But as things stand now, I'm not planning on going back to Disneyland until they allow physical contact with the characters again.

I would not be surprised if this did not return any time soon, maybe not at all in the way it was before. Especially any holding - which wasn't allowed before and likely would be enforced now. As a character I wouldn't want a child that close, and from Disney pov it could be a liability should a child get sick.

It hasn't been all negative to remove that aspect, especially for the characters. As a guest with a DS who loves his meet & greets, and two trips, we were okay with what was offered, we have some nice photos and we appreciate the shorter wait times.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if this did not return any time soon, maybe not at all in the way it was before.

Hugs and handshakes will return eventually, even if it's under modified conditions. We just have to be patient and ride the pandemic out.

I would not be surprised if this did not return any time soon, maybe not at all in the way it was before.
Hugs and handshakes will return eventually, even if it's under modified conditions. We just have to be patient and ride the pandemic out.

I stand by what I said. Given the current situation with high transmission, I would not be surprised if this did not return any time soon.

I also stand by it may not be the way it was before which would include handshakes and hugs ... why?

~ Each new variant has shown to be even more transmittable and there is no sign that new variants are slowing. It may just be part of life for some time to come so we adapt.

~ Disney can save money by not providing large amounts of character meets, and only offer a few in places like Fairytale Hall.

~ Disney already has a problem (long term problem) getting "friends" that fit their criteria for characters. Asking these CMs to also be face to face and touching guests who may get them sick could likely make it even more difficult to find them.

~ Characters are paid very little and certainly not enough to risk their life. It makes more sense for Disney to offer a safer environment for these folks, and that means no touching.

I get that many want them back exactly as they were and believe that Disney will put their CMs right back in those same job structures ... for guests benefit. I hope Disney considers what is best for CMs and the work environment as their priority.

I stand by what I said. Given the current situation with high transmission, I would not be surprised if this did not return any time soon.

I also stand by it may not be the way it was before which would include handshakes and hugs ... why?

~ Each new variant has shown to be even more transmittable and there is no sign that new variants are slowing. It may just be part of life for some time to come so we adapt.

~ Disney can save money by not providing large amounts of character meets, and only offer a few in places like Fairytale Hall.

~ Disney already has a problem (long term problem) getting "friends" that fit their criteria for characters. Asking these CMs to also be face to face and touching guests who may get them sick could likely make it even more difficult to find them.

~ Characters are paid very little and certainly not enough to risk their life. It makes more sense for Disney to offer a safer environment for these folks, and that means no touching.

I get that many want them back exactly as they were and believe that Disney will put their CMs right back in those same job structures ... for guests benefit. I hope Disney considers what is best for CMs and the work environment as their priority.

We'll just have to wait and see. I've already made the decision that I wouldn't return to Disneyland until a semblance of normalcy returns, but if that means I can never hug Tigger at Critter Country again...well, I just might not go back at all. =/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter