Pin Trading at DLP

miker1251

If you can dream it, you can do it.
I will be coming to DLP from the USA for the DLP Half Marathon in September. That will be my first visit to DLP. Pin trading is very popular at Disney World and Disneyland. How is it at DLP? Are there pins that are popular there that I should plan on bringing with me? Any help in this area will be very appreciated.

Hi, I do pin trading in Disneyland California and I am heading to DLP next week, and I'm bringing my trader pins. The last time I was in DLP in December 2013, I did pin trading too. Its not as popular as in the American parks but you will get to trade with CM's. I will come back here after my trip next week and let you know how I got on.

I'm mainly going to try to get DLP specific pin trades, so that I can trade these in Disneyland California in June

When I lived there 5 years ago, my girls did the pin trading. It was a good chance for everyone to practice French and English!

I was there this past august and did a lot of pin trading. I would say maybe 1/4 as many cast members had pin lanyards, but they seemed to have a higher percentage of decent pins (less scrappers/repeats). I brought about 25 pins with me (nice traders from disney world and disney land, not scrappers) and probably ended up with 20 nice pins.
Just a word of caution- although their pin trading rules are the same, I had several cast members refuse trades for legitimate disney pins that they didn't already have. I was polite and did my best to speak french, so I'm really not sure why they were so rude.
You won't see as many guests with pins as you would at disney world or disneyland. I brought my pins in a small zippered pouch since I don't normally like wearing a pin lanyard, and I didn't want to stand out either.

I was there this past august and did a lot of pin trading. I would say maybe 1/4 as many cast members had pin lanyards, but they seemed to have a higher percentage of decent pins (less scrappers/repeats). I brought about 25 pins with me (nice traders from disney world and disney land, not scrappers) and probably ended up with 20 nice pins.
Just a word of caution- although their pin trading rules are the same, I had several cast members refuse trades for legitimate disney pins that they didn't already have. I was polite and did my best to speak french, so I'm really not sure why they were so rude.
You won't see as many guests with pins as you would at disney world or disneyland. I brought my pins in a small zippered pouch since I don't normally like wearing a pin lanyard, and I didn't want to stand out either.
Thanks for the info. I have a trip to both Disneyland and WDW coming up, so I am thinking maybe pins specific to each park.

@miker1251
Just a quick update. Im in Disneyland Paris right now. Today I did pin trading. I am staying onsite so I have access to EMH. I started trading during EMH with CM's in the shops in Fantasyland. Then when the other lands opened at 10 am, I basically just went from shop to shop, starting at Pirates, then Frontierland, Main Street and Discovery Land until lunch time. The best time is EMH to 12pm mid day as it seems the CM's start the day with good pins and then once they go, they dont really trade as much and you find alot of the same pins on the lanyards.

Today I did 12 trades, 5 are genuine pins, checked on Pin Pics and they have no scrapper or counterfeit notes. 6 pins have scrapper , counterfeit notes on pin pics and 1 I cant find, I think my brain has gone to mush, no matter how I search on pin pics I cant find it.

I have 1 full day in the parks left so tomorrow I am going to re trade the scrappers I got today. I dont feel bad trading these as they were already in circulation in the parks anyway. I usually only trade genuine, no scrapper pins. :)

Oh one final note. I think I saw only 1 person / non CM wearing a pin lanyard. I only traded with CM's in the shops, either at the tills or restocking shelves.

@miker1251
you are welcome :)
ok second day of pin trading. I started the day with the 6 scrappers from yesterday plus 4 of my own trading pins. Again early morning EMH to 12pm was the best time.

CMs who had good pins and were interested in pin trading could be found in Pirates shop and in the shop just inside Adventureland entrance, opposite Agrah Bar restaurant. Everyone else had pins because it is required and had mostly scrappers, ie you could see the same pins on many lanyards.

A CM in the Buzz shop made up her own rules. She wanted to choose from MY pins, was not happy that I could choose one of her pins but she had to take what was given to her.

One of the CM's in Pirates shop had went into a huddle with one of her colleagues when I showed her the pin I wanted to trade. It was a genuine pin I had bought in Disney California but because she had not seen the series before she was wary of taking it, but I re-assured her I had bought it in Disney Parks.

Overall its alot harder work than in California. I eventually ended up with good pins, but only because I hit almost every shop before lunch. You wont find any of the ride or show or attraction CM's with pins. You wont find pin traders with books hanging out, you wont even find any pin trading boards in the shops.

Depending on how many days you are in the parks, I would bring about a small amount of good pins and the rest medium pins. I wouldn't really bother with top level pins, the ones you keep to trade for the very special pins you collect. I wouldn't bother putting them on a lanyard, I had mine in a small baggie which I kept in my pocket.

There are pins onsale in most shops. The places which have the largest selection for sale are Harringtons on Main Street, the shop at Buzz in Discoveryland and the shops in Fronteirland. I saw pin carts outside Plaza Restaurant on Main Street and outside Pinocchio in Fantasyland. You will spend more on pins than you expected. They have alot of Disneyland Paris exclusives, like the attraction pins and Disneyland Paris holidays and special ranges.

So today I ended up with 6 genuine pins, mainly Disneyland Paris pins, all checked on Pin Pics and they dont have any scrapper or counterfeit notes. I ended up with 4 Scrapper pins, all of which have scrapper notes on Pin Pics.

Total after 2 days of trading, 11 genuine , 4 scrappers

One final little tip. Make sure to go to the shop in Disneyland Hotel. I went there on my way out of the park at 7pm and managed to get a really good pin. It may have been pot luck but the pins on the lanyards were not the same pins I saw in many of the shops in the parks :)

Yes thanks for all the great advice. I too am going in September for the race and it will be my first time. I have lots of great pins, but don't want to trade for junk...Thanks again!

Do the traders not hang around outside the pin trading place - Pueblo - at the end of Frontierland any more? Last few times we've been, there have been at least 4-5 traders with their books full? Has this now gone/changed?

Agree about the DLH boutique. Not only do you find unusual pins there with CMs, but they also have the LE display behind the cash desk - often you find LEs in here that you can't find anywhere else/sold out.

Do the traders not hang around outside the pin trading place - Pueblo - at the end of Frontierland any more? Last few times we've been, there have been at least 4-5 traders with their books full? .

I didnt know about this, so I wasnt on the look out. Frontierland is a mess atm though

OK. It is worth checking out if Pueblo Trading Post is still running - one of the posters on here (but she isn't on that regularly these days), Vala is a very keen, longstanding pin trader and collector so she may know. Pueblo is where you can buy special pins and other collectables like Vinylmations, meet with fellow traders and they have a trading pin board (or at least they used to) where you can trade pins with the CMs in charge of pin trading. I can't see that it will have stopped as it was actually growing in popularity - unless the Frontierland refurbs have put a temp stop to it.

According to this Facebook poster, it's still there! Sorry the text is foreign - but you get the idea from the photos!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pueblo-Trading-Post-Shop-At-Disneyland-Paris/167317986618553

Imo we found pin trading much better at DLRP than we did at WDW. Maybe were just weren't in the right place at WDW, but we found many of the CMs felt our pins were 'too good' to trade!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter