Pin Trading still popular?

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
We loved pin trading back in the day. Seems like with Magic Bands, do people not wear pin lanyards anymore. We were thinking about trading again this coming trip. Will we be in the minority? Are pin boards still plentiful around the parks and can you still trade with any CM you see?

Pin trading is still big but it's mostly done via pin boards now. The park maps have the pin board locations and each location usually has a list of the other locations that you can snap a pic of.

I was wondering if scrappers were still a problem. The CMs used to identify them and try to circulate them away from the boards.
Yeah, they're not doing that anymore unfortunately. I used to be really into pin trading but I don't bother anymore since the boards are full of fake pins.

I notice boards behind registers at hotel gift shops and I believe they’ll trade at any time if you ask.

These days I notice more guests wearing lanyards vs. cast members when I’m in the parks, but I could be wrong and, yes, it’s not tons of guests but some.

That being said IDK if this was an organized event but there was a large group trading in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom last month and I was so happy to see it I took a pic.
Also check out this discussion. Someone said they scored 21 hidden mickeys in one trip. There’s hope? https://www.disboards.com/threads/any-new-hidden-disney-mickey-pins-for-2022.3867032/#post-64771061

Attachments

• IMG_8545.jpeg
    IMG_8545.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 33
There is still a huge crowd of pin traders every day at the entrance to Frontierland at Disneyland, and many CM’s still wear lanyards.
I don't believe any CMs at Disney World are wearing them on lanyards. I am local and have not seen any. I do see some guests wearing them, though.

I agree with the person who said there are a bunch of scrappers on the boards. They're mostly junk. You know they're garbage when they pull them out of their tiny ziplock style bags because they bought a ton of them for super cheap. I know a lot of cast members, and some who have worked pin boards. If they removed all of the fake ones they would be practically empty. And most of them won't say anything because they get tired of being chewed out. I watched as a lady gave the kid a random pin out of her "to trade" bag which appeared to be all junk. The CM wouldn't accept it because it was not even a Disney themed pin. The lady began screaming at the CM.

We were down visiting Disney Springs and a number of the Resorts at the end of March and beginning of April. Over the six or seven days that we were there, we did great pin trading! All the Resorts had at least two spots to pin trade (boards and sometimes mystery boxes). There were scrappers there, but actually a lot of the CMs showed us how they went through the boards with a magnet, etc., to remove bad pins. And several advised us that a certain pin or two didn't look right. I thought they did a nice job.
There were also pin boards at Pin Trader's in Disney Springs (that one only comes out at certain times), Once Upon a Toy store (always available) and Cherry Tree Lane in Marketplace Co-op.
We didn't see any CMs wearing lanyards at DS or a resort. Are they wearing them in the parks?

Pin trading is not as popular as it was years ago, but the boards are still up and CMs will be happy to trade. The main issue is that 99% of the pins on the boards are scrapper (bootleg) pins.

That's strange. We usually pin trade at least once at each park, and we visit WDW a couple of times a year. We haven't picked up any bogus pins. They have all been real Disney pins with proper markings. We do see a lot of the same pins though.

We were down visiting Disney Springs and a number of the Resorts at the end of March and beginning of April. Over the six or seven days that we were there, we did great pin trading! All the Resorts had at least two spots to pin trade (boards and sometimes mystery boxes). There were scrappers there, but actually a lot of the CMs showed us how they went through the boards with a magnet, etc., to remove bad pins. And several advised us that a certain pin or two didn't look right. I thought they did a nice job.
There were also pin boards at Pin Trader's in Disney Springs (that one only comes out at certain times), Once Upon a Toy store (always available) and Cherry Tree Lane in Marketplace Co-op.
We didn't see any CMs wearing lanyards at DS or a resort. Are they wearing them in the parks?

No. They're not wearing them in the parks. I think the person who said they are wearing them is talking about Disneyland.

I think the issue with scrappers is that if you have someone working a pin board who is really into pins, they're going to invest more time into making sure they're real. Often cast members are not choosing to work the pin board but that is where they are assigned. Not all cast members are into pins, or know how to find a fake or good pin, have a stash of good pins to trade for the bad ones, and some don't care. There is no Pin Trading training for cast members that I'm aware of, so if a cast member seems to know a lot, it's because they are personally invested in pin trading.

We loved pin trading back in the day. Seems like with Magic Bands, do people not wear pin lanyards anymore. We were thinking about trading again this coming trip. Will we be in the minority? Are pin boards still plentiful around the parks and can you still trade with any CM you see?

We've stopped wearing the landyards as I don't like the new silky styles Disney has switched to.

Pin trading is not as popular as it was years ago, but the boards are still up and CMs will be happy to trade. The main issue is that 99% of the pins on the boards are scrapper (bootleg) pins.
Yeah, they're not doing that anymore unfortunately. I used to be really into pin trading but I don't bother anymore since the boards are full of fake pins.

I alway have to hold back when I see disboard posters who knowingly buy fake pins for their kids to trade and feel no remorse they're negatively impacting other guests magic. It's like they're telling other guests, "my experience is more important than yours, who cares." When it's so easy to buy authentic and inexpensive traders in sets online through boxlunch, loungefly, or even shop disney sales.

I know it's losing popularity because most boards are so full of scrappers or entirely silver pins that it's hard to even be interested in trading, even for those of us who were big into it. I think I only traded once our last DL trip, which for me is the lowest I've traded since since I started in 2007. Though i will say WDW is much better with pin trading than DL, and has been for years imo.

I don't think Disney currently has the budget to remove and replace the amount of fakes it's getting. Personally, I'd like to see specific trading areas with CM's trained in spotting fakes - and this is the unlikely bit - able to turn away trades if the pin is an obvious scrapper. The CM could have to evaluate the pin before the guest can see the board and if it's a fake offer to trade the pin for a button, just to get it out of rotation. A "I helped keep pin trading awesome" button.

But sadly, as much as I love pin trading, it's pretty clear it's going to go into a decline until they put better boundaries in place.

DS is still into trading but refuses to wear the lanyard instead I tote around several PinFolios in my bag. It does make it easier to trade as you don't have to put the back on the pin.

We always stop at the gift shops and community hall to trade as we have not seen cast members trade in a long time.

How do you know if they are scrappers? Ours all say Disney on the back. Some I believe state they are part of a set but I can't verify that as we leave them in our Owner's Locker.

DS is still into trading but refuses to wear the lanyard instead I tote around several PinFolios in my bag. It does make it easier to trade as you don't have to put the back on the pin.

We always stop at the gift shops and community hall to trade as we have not seen cast members trade in a long time.

How do you know if they are scrappers? Ours all say Disney on the back. Some I believe state they are part of a set but I can't verify that as we leave them in our Owner's Locker.
There’s a few guides around and videos on YouTube that show you how to spot fakes.

https://www.pintrader.club/articles/spotting-fake-disney-pins

https://themouselets.com/how-to-spot-fake-disney-pins

The most common way of detecting the counterfeit ones is if the Mickey pattern on the back doesn’t meet the edges or extend past it.

I was just at DW for a week in the beginning of the month and there is pin trading everywhere! I LOVE IT! I don't wear a lanyard because I hate the feeling around my neck. I have a couple of PinFolio trading books/bags from GoPinPro. They are amazing!
Scrappers are still an issue and it's honestly what takes up most of the boards. People just need to stop buying the bulk lots on eBay/Amazon. But, if you don't know they are fake, I guess it's not really your fault :/
Will be there in a little over a week, again, and pin trading is one my fave things to do in the parks!

I don't wear a lanyard because I hate the feeling around my neck. I have a couple of PinFolio trading books/bags from GoPinPro. They are amazing!
That is exactly how DS feels and those PinFolios are much better than carrying the lanyards (although I will grab one if not bringing our park bag like when stopping at a resort for dinner)

Whatever the cause, the number of people wearing lanyards has declined markedly in the past 5-6 years, not including the pandemic shutdown.

I began noticing in '17 or '18 that very few people wore lanyards. In a weeklong stay in mid-November, our usual time, I once saw 2-3 dozen or more. By '17 and '18, fewer than a dozen.

Last trip 3 weeks ago, I saw no more than 4-5, kids included.

I was eager to trade now that pandemic protocols were canceled. Encountered no one, only saw those few from a distance.

I think pincollecting and trading are not nearly as popular as formerly. That happens. I don't particularly care since I primarily buy pins I want to keep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter