Pin trading

geniegirl

DIS Veteran
Is pin trading still a thing in DL. I know it’s pretty common at WDW. Wasn’t sure if I should bring mine.

TIA

I wanted to experience pin trading my first time last time I went since it wasn't a thing when I went so long ago. I got some ones to trade before I left (from a friend who goes all the time). I saw pins on boards to trade at all the shops, but none had anything I was interested in. I didn't see any CMs or Characters with lanyards or pins. I was a bit disappointed honestly... but I was going to give it another shot since out last trip was too hectic and might have missed them. I did end up buying some great ones while I was there just to collect (as well as some over the web since I have been back)

That being said. A lot of people wear lanyards with pins :) I am not sure if people trade with other visitors.. not sure if that is thing?

Pin trading isn't nearly as common as it is at WDW. There's a few CMs with lanyards, and there are several pin boards, but not a lot of guest-to-guest trading.

I think it's something that is dying away. When I went with my niece (she's 28) a couple years back she brought her pins to trade. All the guests willing to trade seem to be looking for collectable pins vs the fun of just trading. After the 1st day she didn't bring her book of pins back to the park. As everyone stated you can still trade at the stores but that's about it.

We have our pins in a small carry bag thing. Each of us have a page to trade with. We trade with the shops and sometimes the CMs will have lanyards and will trade too. My kids dont like the lanyards around their necks so we got the small carry bag thing. Works for us. We have bought pins over the years and traded a ton. It's fun to see what the kids pick from their pin stashes to trade each time. I can tell they are growing as my daughter has a ton of princess pins she is bringing this time, and last time she traded for them :). Its fun.

I don't think there is as much pin trading as there used to be, but it does still occur at DLR. Mostly look for pin boards in the shops. There will be some CMs wearing lanyards (janitorial, management, in shops, at entrances to queues, etc.). The pin boards will often have many of the same pins, but sometimes you can find interesting pins. As long as you're not to worried about scrappers/fakes/counterfeit pins, there are still ample pin trading opportunities throughout DLR.

Guest-with-guest pin trading never seemed all that common in DLR, except perhaps with the professional traders that used to set-up at the tables near the pin shops, but I haven't seen them in a while.

I agree it’s dying down. We trade mostly with the CMs at WDW who all have sets to trade with. We were not looking for specific ones just ones we like. Guess maybe I will bring a few dups in case. We head to WDW later in the year and can focus more on it then.

Most people who approach me to trade pins only have the junker pins to trade with and, I'm sorry - I choose my pins because I like them a lot and I'm not willing to trade, say, my grape soda cap pin for someone's el-cheapo random Mickey ears. I actually find them a trifle annoying, because I'm usually wearing one of my lanyards of pins and I'm constantly approached to trade them.

We were there at the beginning of December. We bought my son a lanyard and pin set and he was able to find some cast members to trade with, and pin boards in shops. We didn't do any trading with other guests because I've seen how picky they can be and I didn't want him to get discouraged. He really loved it!

I agree that the pin trading at DLR has died down. I took pins to trade but so many adults were WAAYYYY to picky about the pins. The kids on the other hand reallyl enjoyed trading. I also tend to have a few extrs on hand for creating "magical mments" for kids. My favorite from this last trips was giving one of my URsula pins to a young girl at Disneyland for the first time. At first she didn't want to take it but I explained to her I like creating "magic" when I could and she was thrilled to have the pin.

DD started pin trading last trip and all 3 girls will be doing so this time, they have them in a book rather than a lanyard and we tuck away any really special ones that arent for trading (like the Walk in Walts footsteps)

Is pin trading still a thing in DL. I know it’s pretty common at WDW. Wasn’t sure if I should bring mine.

TIA

I wanted to experience pin trading my first time last time I went since it wasn't a thing when I went so long ago. I got some ones to trade before I left (from a friend who goes all the time). I saw pins on boards to trade at all the shops, but none had anything I was interested in. I didn't see any CMs or Characters with lanyards or pins. I was a bit disappointed honestly... but I was going to give it another shot since out last trip was too hectic and might have missed them. I did end up buying some great ones while I was there just to collect (as well as some over the web since I have been back)

That being said. A lot of people wear lanyards with pins :) I am not sure if people trade with other visitors.. not sure if that is thing?

I've been wondering the same thing for my upcoming trip. I pin-traded like crazy at WDW and really enjoyed it. My last trip to DLR I was all excited for pin trading but it was quite difficult to even find pins to trade. There are pin boards in some of the shops, but you need to ask about them. Very few cast members wore lanyards, but there were some. It seemed like pin trading was almost non-existent. This was in June of 2017. I have a small number of traders and I plan to bring them in January, hoping to find a few good trades.

I vaguely remember people used to talk about a group of pin traders that got together over by Goofy's Sky School on a certain day of the week...does anyone know if that is still the case? We are pretty serious pin traders who will be visiting DL in May and are trying to decide if it's worth it to bring any of our WDW exclusive pins to trade for DL exclusives. We're not interested in CM board or lanyard trading. Thanks!

I vaguely remember people used to talk about a group of pin traders that got together over by Goofy's Sky School on a certain day of the week...does anyone know if that is still the case? We are pretty serious pin traders who will be visiting DL in May and are trying to decide if it's worth it to bring any of our WDW exclusive pins to trade for DL exclusives. We're not interested in CM board or lanyard trading. Thanks!

They actually meet outside at the picnic area now. Sundays there. Not sure where they meet Thursdays, which is the day that new pins come out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter