Pirates of the Caribbean auction scene to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdisnut

DIS Veteran
Disney just announced that starting in 2018, the famous auction scene at Pirates of the Caribbean will change at the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. Here is an artist rendering:

ajdn313.jpg

And a link to the article on the Disney Parks blog.

Well, this will be a tempest in a teacup. Personally, I think the scene is fine as is, but I'm actually surprised it lasted this long. Whatever though, they're always changing stuff. I like that they are adding more of my man Barbosa though.

Changing a classic to be PC? Really? They're Pirates. Not sensitive, progressive gentlemen. That's just nuts. Disappointing beyond belief. Hopefully someone at Disney will wise up before they mess with a classic.

They already changed the scene where the pirates were chasing the women around in circles. Now the women chase them armed with brooms and rolling pins and the like. That was a "PC" change from a while back.

I feel like it's only a matter of time before this thread leads to some "lively debate" regarding the change...

While I personally am on the side that will be sad to see it leave as I feel that it's part of the classic attraction that accurately depicts the pirate genre, it's a reality that there's much less tolerance (if any?) for this type of stuff in today's world.

The Native American scenes in the Rivers of America were changed a looooong time ago to account for modern sensibilities. Change is nothing new, nothing to fear and nothing to be ashamed of. Organisms evolve and so do ideas. With that shift comes change to static concepts such as amusement park rides. And soon we will have something more to add to that classic thread: "Things No Longer Seen At WDW"

I wrote this in another thread but will add it here as well. In the drawing, she looks more like she's from the wild west. I hope they tweak the costume some. I also hope the pirates continue to chant "We want the redhead". I don't mind changes that make sense and really improve the user experience, but this seems a bit silly and unnecessary to me.

It's probably not great that we have been made to think fondly of a scene that depicts women being sold as property.
The original design might have been an attempt at light-heartedness in the face of ugly realities but isn't so cute at this point.
None of the ride is meant to be cute. It's a depiction of pirate life in the days of old. It's supposed to be grisly & bawdy. Cleaning it up takes away from the theming. That's why people are dismayed.

If we condemn the "wench" scene, we should also condemn the dunking the pirate in a well scene. They're both violent.

While Disney's at it, they should probably just end the ride with the pirates turning themselves in and giving their ill-gotten gains away to charity...

Last edited:
So the best and funniest part of the Pirates ride bites the dust. A sacrifice must be made to the PC gods. Why can't these ninnies just not ride the ride if it offends them instead of ruining it for everyone else? That's a rhetorical question - they take pride and satisfaction in ruining it for everyone else.

I guess the next thing to go is Small World. Talk about "cultural appropriation"! And pretty racist to boot. Probably need to revisit most of Epcot, too.

Tip to Disney: a BIG reason people still come to Magic Kingdom is nostalgia for the old rides. Revising them to make them more PC will eventually backfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter