• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Placeholder Question - Chase points and transferring to TA?

lscrivan18

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, I have a placeholder question in anticipation of my first DCL cruise rapidly approaching!

I'm sailing in October and plan on purchasing a placeholder. For my next DCL cruise, I plan on booking it with my Chase Sapphire points. I then want to transfer it to my current TA to get some OBC. Can I use a placeholder in all this? If so, how and where do I go about getting it applied.

Cruises can be booked by calling Chase and they make the booking. Unlike hotels, airfare which I can just book online myself.

I don't know the specifics of Chase Sapphire, but typically when you book through credit card travel programs, they are essentially the TA. You cannot then transfer it to a TA. I would confirm with Chase before booking if that is your plan.

Also, I would assume you cannot use your placeholder at all in this scenario, but again you should confirm with Chase.

I don't know the specifics of Chase Sapphire, but typically when you book through credit card travel programs, they are essentially the TA. You cannot then transfer it to a TA. I would confirm with Chase before booking if that is your plan.
Ack I didn't realize Chase would be the travel agent and I couldn't transfer to my own TA.

I aways take my Chase Points as a cash statement credit. That way I know EXACTLY how much they are worth. Everything else is probably a gimmick.

-Paul

Cruises can be booked by calling Chase and they make the booking. Unlike hotels, airfare which I can just book online myself.
Never knew this! Do you still get the 1.25x/1.5x redemption rate like you would if you were to book a hotel/flight through the Chase Travel Portal?

I have to agree to taking the points as cash--then you can do what you want with them also being a gimmick

we went to a branch office about getting the sapphire card since they have no fee international card

we thought they could waive the yearly fee since all we wanted it for was for our BI cruise
the agent was more interested in explaining all the other so called perks then what we were asking about

well just pay the internatial fees
we like the travel insurance we get with their freedom card

Never knew this! Do you still get the 1.25x/1.5x redemption rate like you would if you were to book a hotel/flight through the Chase Travel Portal?
Yes, it's the same 1.25/1.5 redemption as far as I know. I'm going to call later to find out about the placeholder.

I have to agree to taking the points as cash--then you can do what you want with them also being a gimmick

we went to a branch office about getting the sapphire card since they have no fee international card

we thought they could waive the yearly fee since all we wanted it for was for our BI cruise
the agent was more interested in explaining all the other so called perks then what we were asking about

well just pay the internatial fees
we like the travel insurance we get with their freedom card
I prefer to use my points for travel as I get far better redemption value than converting the points to cash.

I spoke with Chase Sapphire and cruises also receive the same 1.25/1.5x bonus. However, Disney is the only cruise line you can't book with Sapphire points :sad: Only Disney Chase card points can be used for a Disney cruise booking.
Yep, if you want to use your Sapphire points for a Disney cruise, your only option is to put it on your card like anything else, and then use the "pay me back" option to get a statement credit. Unfortunately you lose that awesome 1.5x point bonus in the process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter