Places on I5 to stop with toddlers?

jenpace

DIS Veteran
we're driving down from Santa Cruz tomorrow and will have our 21 month old twins with us. I wanted to see if anyone had any advice on good places to stop for breaks with little kids. Playgrounds even?

Thanks!

My group generally stopped at the rest stops along the way. They don't have playgrounds, but most had some open space for the kids to run around and picnic tables for a quick snack. There were also bathrooms and vending machines (if more snacks are needed).
http://www.dot.ca.gov/maintenance/statewidera.html

We also stopped at the Travel America and Petro facilities near the Grapevine. There is quite a number of places (fast food and even an outlet mall) in that area now.

Well, what route will you take?

I have done a few different routes, I like heading east from Santa Cruz at Watsonville on the 156 and get on the I-5 as soon as practical.

In the first leg, both Casa de Fruta (commercial location that has kids attractions) and the San Luis Reservoir (public park) are good before you get on the I-5 South.

On the I-5,there are some public rest stops that have some grassy areas and picnic table, along with restrooms.

http://www.californiarestareas.com/interstatei5restareas.html

Commercial options for the most part are small areas just designed for travelers with a few motels, restaurants and gas stations, but some of them will be something like McDonalds with an indoor playground.

Just after the I-5 merges with the 99 south of Bakersfield, there are the new Outlets at Tejon, which has some kid friendly areas as part of the area.

After that,i would look at Castaic as the last "small" area before you get into the suburb area of Los Angeles, and then your choices are limited, but you are getting close to the DLR.

And then I hope you have a GPS with live traffic or someone who can use a smartphone app with live traffic, as there are multiple route options starting just past the Santa Clarita area.

Last edited:

Bravo Farms is great. That'd be my top pic, too.

I live in southern CA, but I lived in the Santa Cruz area for a while. Have you considered taking the 101 instead? It adds maybe an hour to the drive, but there are a lot more things to see. My twins (2 yrs old) and older son (6 yrs old) prefer that drive whenever we drive up because there's coastline to look at.

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions. Looks like there some good spots where we can take a break from the road :flower1:

Nice! Never knew about this place. Thanks! Is there an entrance fee? Far enough away from the cows to avoid the smell (no offense to cows)?
The kids play area is free. Restrooms are large and clean. No feed lots nearby.

Almost there now, LA traffic is not my favorite. We did end up stopping in Lost Hills, they've got a wonderful new community park with lots of grass, a playground and an artificial turf soccer field. We let the babies run on the soccer field and it really made them happy. image.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter