Places to visit that are not miserably hot in August?

I'll look at all of the suggestions.

We were originally thinking of Pacific Northwest but when I looked at the temps in Napa for August it still seemed to be super hot for me so it sort of landed in the nope category. I don't really know of stuff to do further up than Napa, this lady is not into hiking and I am not what anyone would call outdoorsy. While some people appreciate a beautiful mountain view all I think about is, "Uggh, the ticks and bugs," but I love strolling and exploring cute towns, fairs and festivals and such and my own pace.
Maine and Finger Lakes should work, but our favorite is Door County, Wisconsin. Lots of little towns to explore. It’s where my in-laws spent their summers and we visited them there a lot.

We were originally thinking of Pacific Northwest but when I looked at the temps in Napa for August it still seemed to be super hot for me so it sort of landed in the nope category. I don't really know of stuff to do further up than Napa, this lady is not into hiking and I am not what anyone would call outdoorsy. While some people appreciate a beautiful mountain view all I think about is, "Uggh, the ticks and bugs," but I love strolling and exploring cute towns, fairs and festivals and such and my own pace.
Seattle, Portland and Vancouver don't have ticks and very few bugs, no poisonous spiders (well one but they hide from you at all times) or snakes . It's not like the east cost. It's not humid and very comfortable in August. I should not be saying anything as everyone one around here wants to keep it a secret. The only issue in August is if there is smoke from forest fires.

Is there a secret reverse snowbird location somewhere for people who hate the heat as much as snowbirds hate the snow? I HATE August heat & humidity.

I prefer the US but would consider other places as long as humidity and temps are reliably low and the place is reliably safe and enjoyable. Considered trying to find the Northern Lights but it seems aurora borealis is not a big thing in August. Is there such a place?

as someone else pointed out-napa is not part of the pnw BUT i will say, having lived there most of my life-it does get hot during the summer (and the tourists will drive you batty).

i'm not a big fan of the western side of washington, it has gotten way to croweded for my taste. i knew tons of people who relocated to oregon FROM napa back in the 90's and 2000's but many have left in recent times due to crime and other issues.

i live in the eastern part of washington. it gets cold and snows during the winter and our summers range in the mid 80's with lows of 40's and 50's. we do get a very occasional 90's or even a triple digit but it's rare. year round between having spokane and coeur d'alene in close proximity there are constant things to do and plenty of nice funky little towns to wander around-coeur d'alene has a neat downtown, up further there's wallace idaho ('the center of the universe') and it has allot of funky little shops. every weekend during the summer and fall months there is some kind of outdoor fair or festival or gathering in close proximity. spokane itself has allot of different neighborhoods that have their own little shopping districts.

Seattle, Portland and Vancouver don't have ticks and very few bugs, no poisonous spiders (well one but they hide from you at all times) or snakes . It's not like the east cost. It's not humid and very comfortable in August. I should not be saying anything as everyone one around here wants to keep it a secret. The only issue in August is if there is smoke from forest fires.

fingers crossed it won't be so bad this year. it was terrible last summer all across the state:(

Another vote for Oregon coast. It’s such a beautiful place. Seaside or Lincoln City. My husband grew up spending summers in Lincoln City so that’s where we usually go.

We live more inland near Portland and August usually brings with it at least one intense heat wave. It can be brutal.

Eta: Along with the beach, the hiking is gorgeous. We love to hike and love a good PNW forest with trails.

Last edited:
Adding another location in PNW. My DILs family spends a lot of time in Bend. It’s not coastal but it’s a beautiful area with lots to do. Temps will get in 80s in August. You’d be able to take a day trip to Crater Lake. Hike or fish. Float the river. You could easily spend a couple of weeks and not get bored.

San Francisco, San Diego, Northern Maine, New Brunswick CA, Seattle all nice trips and we weather was nice. Alaska was also nice but it was unexpectedly humid. Until we went I never realized parts of it are a rain forrest.

Another vote for Oregon coast. It’s such a beautiful place. Seaside or Lincoln City. My husband grew up spending summers in Lincoln City so that’s where we usually go.

We live more inland near Portland and August usually brings with it at least one intense heat wave. It can be brutal.

Eta: Along with the beach, the hiking is gorgeous. We love to hike and love a good PNW forest with trails.
We have Oregon on the bucket list!

All west coast, emphasis on "coast". I live in Long Beach, about a mile from the beach - we have maybe a total of about a week a year where you really want AC. Other than that, open a window, it's nice year-round. If you go up to the Central Coast (Ventura up to the Bay Area) it's foggy in the morning, but if you wake up after 9a you would never know. The fog burns off and it's in the 70's the rest of the day. Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay are just perfect IMHO. The wine regions get hot, but those are on the other side of a coastal range. Places like Napa, Paso Robles, and Atascadero are VERY hot and just minutes from the coast that is not.

The Lost Coast (Humboldt) is really hard to get to, but VERY worth it. The Redwoods in No Cal north of Arcata are stunning and completely uncrowded. Concur with the PNW recommendations too - WA and OR are also cool year-round. We went to Portland one time during a heat wave and were greeted by locals at every turn asking if we had gotten any of the sun that was out - days like that are that rare there.

We like the Smoky Mountains/Appalachians. Very scenic, and many resort areas that cater to visitors.

If we were Uncle Scrooge wealthy, we would have a place in Coastal California to spend the summer months away from our native Louisiana.
The Smokies can get quite hot and humid in the summer. Not Louisiana hot and humid, but relative to other places yes.

The Oregon/Washington coast is great for lower temps. The rest of those states, not so much. We have more hot days and more forest fire smoke in the summers than we used to.

Also Alaska, but not the interior. South east, South Central, and Kenai stay pretty cool, though.

Seattle, Portland and Vancouver don't have ticks and very few bugs,

Yeah when I got new windows at our house in Seattle they asked me if I wanted window screens. I had to get him to repeat that twice. Screens? Doesn't everyone have screens? He said no as there are very few bugs. I agreed but said yes I want screens because there aren't zero bugs either.

Lake Tahoe. Temps at morning and night are chilly and the day is comfortable. If you decide you need a bit more warmth you can always take a day trip to the hot valley. My DH hates bugs and hiking and doesn’t complain about either when we go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter