Planned vs. more relaxed days

Iralyn

Mouseketeer
Almost time to make our FP+ selections. I'm wondering how much other families are finding that they are planning out their day, attraction by attraction (e.g., like Touring Plans), including the non-FPs ones now. Have you always done this or just started with FP+? I feel like when I already have those specific timed events (plus ADR) that it makes more sense to just put together a plan for the day. On the other hand with it being DD's first time at Disney, I'd love to be more relaxed and enjoy where the day takes us. But is that really possible with the FP+ system? Thoughts? Experiences?

I definitely ended up planning out our trip more with the FP+. Previous years, I looked up what days for parks were best based on crowds and made ADRs based on that, otherwise no specific plans. This year, same thing with the ADRs plus then I ended up planning around the FP+- Once I stared booking the FP+, it took a long time because it just spiraled out of control!! As long as I was booking the rides, I might as well figure out how long I thought rides would take in a certain area in the park so as not to back track, then where we were eating counter service for lunch so we be in the right area of the park, what parades we wanted to see and their times, etc. Honestly- for me, it was fun planning (DH would say obsessing over) the details. Gave me something to do the weeks before the trip while we were in countdown mode! In the end we didn't 100% stick to it- we missed or didn't use a few FPs and we used the app on DH's phone to change a few things as we went along. Everything worked out fine in the end, we had a great trip!

We've always had a plan for the start of our day - but then figure it out as we go after that. We're familiar enough with the parks that it's pretty easy. However, with FP+ we'll have to plan some rides in. So, I'm guessing there will be a lot more planning in. I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking the time is coming soon. I miss being able just to plan the start!

we are going to WDW in a few weeks, so its our first time with FP+ and MDE.

We have always tried to make our plans based on our dining reservations - for example if we are having dinner at Crystal Palace then we would plan that evening at MK and usually plan that morning at a different park (we always get park hoppers).

The one nice benefit I can see with the new FP+ is that we have planned our first 3 FP for the day we arrive and its pretty cool to know that within 3 hours of our plane landing in Orlando we will be on Rock n Roller Coaster; I'm pretty certain we could not have guaranteed that with the old system.

This will be our first FP+ trip.

We've always had a loose plan. In the past, here's what we did at Rope Drop:

My husband and the kids would hang back and see the RD show, and I would work my way closer to the front. I would get our first set of FPs and meet them all at an agreed upon location. (So, say, I would get FPs to Peter Pan, and meet them at Big Thunder.) We would do Big Thunder and Splash, then use that FP, and figure out our next moves. (So, I would get a FP while they went on the hated teacups) We didn't have a strict touring plan for the day, but worked it 2 or 3 rides at a time.

I suspect this trip will be pretty much the same. Our FPs are pretty close together in terms of time-- some late mornings, some framing a dinner ADR. So we'll still do Rope Drop, still make use of those early uncrowded hours in the park. And we'll see what we can squeeze in between FPs.

The one non-negotiable part of the day for my family is the afternoon break. It keeps us all comfortably cool and refreshed in the summer heat.

Also, this trip is the first one we've done with other people; it's a family reunion with my husband's brother and sister and their families. So that, too, will effect the dynamic of how we plan our days. We have meals, mostly dinners, planned just about every day. And we've agreed on particular parks, with shared FPs at those parks. But other than that, it will be a matter of keeping in touch via cell. We're at the parks early, my brother in law and his family prefer to close the parks in evening EMH.

We like a relaxed vacation. This trip is only for 3 days and will be our first experience with FP+ and MDE. I have made ADR's for the meals we want to do. I have made FP+ reservations for our must do's. And of course I checked which days would be best for the 3 parks we are visiting. Honestly, the only thing I did more of this trip is the FP+. And I loved having the option. I got Anna and Elsa FP for the Frozen obsessed DD and of course I got a mine train FP also.

The thing I did the most this trip that I haven't done before is change my resort. I started at Pop and ended up at AK!

We feel like we really got WDW down pat :) at least for us and it is a very relaxed feeling.

we either ADR a character breakfast inside the park we are visiting and make it an hour prior to rope drop or we just make rope drop with no breakfast.

we ride the rides we want to with ease, then our FP's are set for later in the day.. Since we already rode the rides once, twice or even three times if we don't feel like riding the FP ride we just don't go.. and don't ever stress over it..

the only thing that takes any real planning is if we AD a dinner.. lunch is easy because it comes after rope drop rides.. so we ride all the rides, relax and walk around for a while and then hit lunch ADR, and FP's are post lunch or never..

Dinner is a bit tougher but we typically try to ADR them early 4-5pm because we know being a RD crew that we are done with the park by 4pm so we prefer to go eat dinner then head back to swim at the resort for the rest of the evening.. if there isn't an ADR for dinner we just go by feels.. either go swim then find some food, or eat then swim..

its a vacation dont let it control you.

I must always laugh a little and chuckle when people talk about planning the day in the park. In one of our early trips to WDW DH was saying my planning style was so scheduled and he didn't want to go from ride to ride.

I let him take over. For the next hour we wandered aimlessly about. He then gave me control again and we back to getting on rides with a plan.

I do like to stop and be spontaneous but it seems with the new FP+ system, things must be planned. I strongly believe in being there at rope drop and getting the slow loading, or high demand rides done first, with FP planned later in the day for a 2nd ride.

Enjoy your trip.

We used to just plan ADR's and what park we are going to. Now we have had to book fp+ and had to be more strategic. We are going to try to make it to rope drop most days ride the rides and then head back to the resort to relax.

We always hit RD (mostly because DS is up at 6 anyway, better than hanging around the hotel room watching cartoons) and have a plan in place for the AM. For example, the first few trips Peter Pan was his favorite ride, so we got FPs, rode the ride, then came back again later. We mixed in rides that would be busier later in the day, like Pooh, Barnstormer, or Tomorrowland Speedway. If we had to go use a FP or get to a ride before the line got crazy busy, we always told DS that we'd come back later on to ride the rides we'd passed and he might be slightly annoyed, but never really complained. Same for souvenirs: we will browse in gift shops here and there, but serious shopping is always after lunch, when crowds are higher and the temperatures are hotter. We stop for performances when they pop up, as it is still a vacation and there is room for spontaneity.

Now, we have a little more flexibility since he doesn't beg to ride anything at a specific time. We are actually going to try Josh's recommendations on easyWDW. We followed it loosely in the past, but now he's made some tweaks and we are going to start one day in Frontierland and one in Tomorrowland, using FPs in Fantasyland from mid morning on. Afternoons will be rides on rides with shorter lines and possibly getting 4th FPs from the kiosks if needed. No matter what, I would do rope drop. You get so much done by noon if you are there at opening.

Okay - I've now started planning since my last post, not that long ago. What I'm finding is that I don't have to plan much for EP, HS, or AK past FP+. But I am needing to plan more for MK. There's too many rides that can get busy at MK and it's a lot more walking if I pick FP+ not near an area that I'm at. Since we have 2 MK days plus the Halloween Party, I planned our first day pretty much from rope drop until around 3 pm or so and then it's wide open. (Of course, we'll be flexible and can change if needed when in the park!) I haven't worked on our second MK day yet, but I'm presuming I'll only have rope drop - noon planned on that day, leaving the rest wide open except for the parade at 3. Right now, I'm thinking I won't plan for the Halloween party though. (But there's still time before my trip, so there's always a chance of that!)

We are planning our FP's on days that we have dining reservations in a park. I don't know how this is going to work out, so I am enjoying following this thread.

K

I always see these "planning vs. relaxing" threads, and never understood why it is presented as mutually exclusive. My view on the subject is that because we plan, our trip is much more relaxing. I find it relaxing to know that based on our plan we'll spend less time in line and more time in/on attractions. Because we plan, we have down time to find a cool place to relax during the heat of the day. Because we plan, we don't have to worry about finding a table to eat at our favorite spots. We have scheduled resort days as well, that allow for relaxation.

Now, this is different for larger families (especially now that we're seven and not six), because we can't be squeezed into that table for two that just opened up. Standing in line for 90 minutes isn't relaxing with restless kids, while it may be for two adults having a conversation. And we can't walk up late to the parade and squeeze just two more at the curb. We've got a lot of people and gear to make room for.

My wife and I stay up late and plan. Then when we go down to Disney, we relax and have fun with the family. The planning and relaxation complement each other quite well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter