• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning a cruise with my oldest son, best hotel ? WDW or near the port ?

gisele2

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
Hi,

planning a surprise cruise with my oldest son who is leaving the nest this year to fly on his own. So if leaving from Cap Canaveral, no car, what is the best scenario : WDW hotel and transfert with Disney to the port, or hotel near the port ?

From what I’ve seen others comment (and what I would do), is it depends on your flights in. If you’re arriving in enough time to enjoy being in the Disney bubble, maybe go to the pool or even to a park for the afternoon/evening, stay at Disney. Otherwise, stay at the MCO airport Hyatt, and either way you can do the Disney transfer. Then you don’t have to worry about PAT either - the transfer will get you to the port fairly early and you’ll get to board then.

We personally prefer the WDW/Disney transport option. Disney hotels all have nice pools and lots of restaurants onside or a disney bus ride away, so helpful when you aren’t driving. We also have stayed at the airport Hyatt Regency which you can book from Disney Cruise Lone often at a discount. Both options get you an automatic early port arrival time and boarding group so you don’t have to stay up till midnight to check in for the cruise.

Without a car, there’s no point in staying near the port. There’s not much to do and you’ll need to arrive at your PAT, unlike if you are using the shuttles from either a WDW resort or the MCO Hyatt.

That’s such a personal choice! Do you want to do anything before or after the cruise or are you ONLY doing the cruise? I think the airport Hyatt is your best bet if you definitely don’t want to do anything except the cruise. However, we recently stayed at Fort Wilderness cabins and did the Hoopdeedoo dinner and Grand Floridian cafe before the cruise, and stayed at Shades of Green and did Boma dinner and a day at Epcot and Magic Kingdom after the cruise. And that was so much fun! Is there anything else your sons wants to do while in FL?

We’re booked this week at All Star Movies for 1 night then taking DCL transfers to port. Easy + gets our Disney fix started earlier.

The time we sailed out of Miami so needed to arrange for hotel, 2 transfers, etc was far more stressful.

For 2 people, I don’t think you can go wrong with Disney for resort and transportation.

If we're coming in any time after about 2 pm, we stay at the MCO Hyatt. This takes into account the potential for late flights (hence virtually no time in the parks), fatigue, and sheer convenience. Mornings are leisurely with a nice breakfast at the hotel and then casually wander down to the bus after your luggage has been picked up.

We honeymooned on the dream in 2014 and stayed at the Hyatt the night before, picked up a rental at MCO then stayed offsite for a few days.

We're returning to cruising next year now that both kids will be old enough, and I think my plan is to stay at the Hyatt the night before and possibly the day we return.

Early flight arrival - I‘d pick the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Big pool, see the animals as they come in before sunset. Dinner/ breakfast at Boma or at the restaurant at the DVC area. (More time commuting than other options).

Afternoon arrival - stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites across the interstate from MCO. Dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse, Bone Fish Grill or Carabbas (all across the parking lot)

Late arrival - Stay at the Hyatt in MCO. (Also easiest of the three).

I have only stayed at Port Canaveral once. This area is more of a car-based area. Perhaps somewhere in Cocoa Beach? Looking for a hotel in the beach? Seafood dinner. A car rental is not a bad idea. Rental car drop-off the morning of the cruise is easy and close. They run shuttles to the ship. And the price of the car can be similar to the cost of transfers to the port. (The transfers will not be free from a Disney resort, as far as I know, Even airport to resort is no longer included).

What would your son want to do with that day with you? Do you need an activity? A visit to Kennedy Space Center? Several decent hotels nearby. This is a big factor in deciding. Hours with a teenager. What will ma
Thank you everyone for your precious advice. My son is a 22 old man and was more excited by the Disney bubble than cocoa beach. So not a lot to choose from so close to departing day and wanting 2 beds or a bed and a murphy bed, we will be at OKW for one night. Never stayed there but looking forward to.

Last edited:
There’s a Queen bed, and the couch turns into a bed. There’s a nice heavy curtain that can split the room. You won’t need a “Murphy bed” cabin which sleeps 4 - 5 guests. Overly much enjoy the convenience of the Hyatt. Nice pool. Huge TV, and lots of shopping and places to eat in the airport, landslide. Enjoy your adventure!

We stayed at All Star Movies 2 weeks ago and took DCL to port. It was perfect and met all our needs! If your budget is unlimited and you'll have time to enjoy the resort, I would recommend AKL but if looking for a comfy place to lay your head, be treated well and be within the Disney bubble then an All Star resort will be great for you!

As someone who has not sailed out of Port Canaveral since 2008, this information has been very helpful in planning our April 2024 cruise aboard the Fantasy. Thanks everyone!

Just noticed you are DVC. Since you are used to that level, it’s nice you are able to stay in OKW.

Have a great trip!
Yes I am a recent DVC member , and stayed only at my home resort with my points, but will be trying OKW and Polynesian for my 2 next trips.

So for those looking for a less expensive way to stay at deluxe resort DVC is the way :darth: and there is lots of great prices on the resale market right now. For more information you just have to head to the DVC forum on this site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter