• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning a Disneyland trip 11 months after WDW

We have a similar plan, WDW this August (including MNSSHP)...

Please note that at DL the party is called Mickey's Halloween Party (MHP). This will make it easier to do a search here for more info and will help with buying tickets. There have been reports each year of people buying tickets to MNSSHP (less expensive), trying to enter MHP, and being turned away at the gates. The parties are not the same.

You could also consider the Candy Cane Inn. Their rooms can sleep up to 5. Includes free breakfast and a free shuttle that's only for that hotel (the shuttle is free, by the way, some of the other hotels like the Hilton or Hyatt might charge you per person). Plus it's 10 min or less walk to the main gate.

Second this suggestion. We love the CCI and have never had a bad stay there. They offer various discounts (e.g. AAA, AARP, AP, etc.) -- contact them to see if you qualify for something.

As for LMT Club, we have not had any problems with them and have always gotten good discounts on tickets. The website isn't the most intuitive or easy to use, but the discounts are always dependable. The tickets are emailed to you -- Disney vouchers that you can take straight to the turnstiles. And you can scan the bar codes right into your DLR app.

Please note that at DL the party is called Mickey's Halloween Party (MHP). This will make it easier to do a search here for more info and will help with buying tickets. There have been reports each year of people buying tickets to MNSSHP (less expensive), trying to enter MHP, and being turned away at the gates. The parties are not the same.

Second this suggestion. We love the CCI and have never had a bad stay there. They offer various discounts (e.g. AAA, AARP, AP, etc.) -- contact them to see if you qualify for something.

As for LMT Club, we have not had any problems with them and have always gotten good discounts on tickets. The website isn't the most intuitive or easy to use, but the discounts are always dependable. The tickets are emailed to you -- Disney vouchers that you can take straight to the turnstiles. And you can scan the bar codes right into your DLR app.
Thanks for this. We are going to Walt Disney World and doing MNNSHP. Disneyland is in April 2019.

Disneyland and DCA together have more attractions together than all four WDW parks.
I was reading an article that said the same! It has the best of Disney World and less of the filler attractions.

I am all in favor of going budget on the hotels and using the savings for extras like the WOC dessert party or a Fantasmic dining package!

Desert Inn and Suites usually has affordable rooms which can accommodate larger families. But the pool is indoors. The Park Vue Inn has double queen+bunk bed rooms as well as triple queen rooms. The room includes free breakfast. Pool is outdoors.

I’ve stayed at Hojos before and loved it. No free breakfast. Room super clean. Pool plus a separate water play area for kids. Room was super clean. Parking is free. The walk is 7-8 min in the am and about 10 later in the day.

Best Western Park Place Inn is right next to Park Vue Inn, so it's right at the cross walk. BWPPI has an outdoor pool, free breakfast, but parking you have to pay for. I'm not sure if they can accomodate 5 or 6 in 1 room.

The Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel tends to get mixed reviews. I think it used to be a Sheraton, but it's no longer a Sheraton hotel because of quality problems (or at least that's what I recall reading here on the DIS many moons ago). If you're hoping for a hotel that's within walking distance to the park entrance, this hotel is definitely not it.
Thanks for so many great hotels!! Wow I'm glad I asked on here before paying for the room. Yes the majestic has a lot of issues. The customer service person at Disneyland really tried to sell me on that one because of the shuttles. When I call Disney World or Disneyland to book packages, the service people always try to sell me something I don't want or need. Or give bad information. Maybe they're pressured to make a sale or get an incentive to sale trips. I definitely need a hotel close by the parks. That's been the hardest part of planning our WDW trip. I don't drive and uber trips will add up.
You could also consider the Candy Cane Inn. Their rooms can sleep up to 5. Includes free breakfast and a free shuttle that's only for that hotel (the shuttle is free, by the way, some of the other hotels like the Hilton or Hyatt might charge you per person). Plus it's 10 min or less walk to the main gate.
I think I'm in love with this hotel. The reviews are amazing. We're going to love being able to walk back to our room after the fireworks instead of waiting an hour or two or for the Disney bus. Thank you!

I think you have a great plan! Sounds fun and it's a great mix of locations. Are you looking at a City pass or go San Diego card etc? It's a mix of attractions for as much as you can experience for a set amount of time. We're looking at 3 or 4 days in park and another 3 on the beach.
My only goal for this trip in San Diego is to stay at the Hotel Del Coronado. If I'm paying $300 plus to stay there, I plan to STAY there, if you know what I mean..lol We stay at the Grand Floridian in WDW and have always wanted to stay at the Del. I will plan a stand alone San Diego trip in the future and will do the zoo and some other things. Not this trip though. It's already too "busy".

How does the price compare to Disneyland or Ares Travel prices? Since everyone thinks the CCI is really good, I'm going to take a chance and go with them. I can't justify the price of a hotel at location. It's too expensive at 500 a night to start, for the same type of room that starts at 150.
My only goal for this trip in San Diego is to stay at the Hotel Del Coronado. If I'm paying $300 plus to stay there, I plan to STAY there, if you know what I mean..lol We stay at the Grand Floridian in WDW and have always wanted to stay at the Del. I will plan a stand alone San Diego trip in the future and will do the zoo and some other things. Not this trip though. It's already too "busy".
Yes! I totally get that. Our trip is busy too. We plan on Universal Studios in the future but not yet. Maybe Knott's Berry Farm or a few beach days.

My kids are 2, 10 and 13, and we would get bored with 4 days at DL. I would get bored, DH would probably revolt. We have annual passes so we are spoiled by not staying long, BUT 4 days is a lot for 2 parks within steps of each other, especially if you go during the week and avoid presidents day holidays (some schools have ski week vacation in mid-late February). 3 would be our max!

My kids are 2, 10 and 13, and we would get bored with 4 days at DL. I would get bored, DH would probably revolt. We have annual passes so we are spoiled by not staying long, BUT 4 days is a lot for 2 parks within steps of each other, especially if you go during the week and avoid presidents day holidays (some schools have ski week vacation in mid-late February). 3 would be our max!
Cheaporfree says 3 too. I don't want the kids to hate it by time we leave. I feel that way about WDW too lol. Some can do 3 weeks and I'm done with 1. Maybe next time we'll do 2 but 3 weeks is too much for WDW haha! Park hopper or not? Some say yes, others no. What's your thoughts on park hoppers for DL? We're trying to save money on things we don't need to add more things we want to do, like dessert parties and souvenirs etc.

Cheaporfree says 3 too. I don't want the kids to hate it by time we leave. I feel that way about WDW too lol. Some can do 3 weeks and I'm done with 1. Maybe next time we'll do 2 but 3 weeks is too much for WDW haha! Park hopper or not? Some say yes, others no. What's your thoughts on park hoppers for DL? We're trying to save money on things we don't need to add more things we want to do, like dessert parties and souvenirs etc.
Because of how close the parks are to each other, and because you can literally walk steps out one gate and into the other, I always am pro-hopper. We always find a reason we want to hop, even if we are just there for a morning. It may for a FP, because we want to eat somewhere specific, a show, whatever. Since you don’t waste any transportation time, the hopper is super handy at DL as opposed to WDW where you have to take some form
of transportation to hop between most parks.

Also if you are using MaxPass, since you can now get a FP for the other park once you are scanned in, it makes hopping even more useful!

We can’t do more than a week at WDW either. 5 days is my limit!

That's sounds good for them! I was worried about the number of attractions. I think they will be fine! Next year maybe Universal Hehe.

My kids actually struggle at WDW. They have a hard time with how few ride options there are at each individual park. Since my DD6 is not a thrill ride person, it was particularly challenging for her because she would want to ride Pooh again, for example, but the wait of 50 minutes vs 5 she was used to at DLR was very offputting.

There is so much to do at DLR in each park that two days might be just enough to get everything done if you push. Definitely won't get bored!

ETA- we advocate hopping at DLR but we don't at WDW. It's much easier and a short walk between the two parks. We hop multiple times a day as the mood strikes us and based on crowd patterns.

The beach will likely be cold at that time of year. The water will be freezing, not swimming temps! I wouldn’t plan more than a half day to just stick your feet in the very cold sand. Knotts is a fun one full day activity though! There is also a beautiful and huge aquarium in Long Beach that your kids might enjoy if you don’t have something like that at home!

I also recommend staying off site. DL doesn't have the same amount of onsite options like WDW. So its the difference of staying onsite for around $500+ a night versus more around $150-200 off site I would do off site. There are lots of close off site hotels that are within 5-10 minutes walk away.

I have booked Hyatt House at Anaheim for our stay. Anyone have an opinion on this property?

Thanks for this. We are going to Walt Disney World and doing MNNSHP. Disneyland is in April 2019.
You are one of the few posters around here who say you are going to MNSSHP and actually mean WDW! :) Such a relief! It can be quite worrying around here for the people who clearly are mixing up the parties.

How does the price compare to Disneyland or Ares Travel prices? Since everyone thinks the CCI is really good, I'm going to take a chance and go with them. I can't justify the price of a hotel at location. It's too expensive at 500 a night to start, for the same type of room that starts at 150...
On average, LMT Club saves about $10 per day off a multi-day ticket -- so about $50 off an adult 5 day park hopper. That's a pretty decent discount, especially when buying more than one ticket. And it's so convenient that you can scan your vouchers right into the app and take the vouchers directly to the gates.
If the budget allows, try to get Premium Rooms at the CCI. Having breakfast delivered to the room in the morning really helps when you're getting everyone ready for a day in the parks. And the extra space is a nice perk. On our last stay, with two Premium Rooms, CCI saved us over $600 a night compared to the GCH.

I have booked Hyatt House at Anaheim for our stay. Anyone have an opinion on this property?
People here have posted good things about Hyatt House. As long as you don't mind the walk or plan on other transportation, like Uber, you should be fine.

Last edited:

Definitely park hop! The parks are steps from each other and it's really more like one big park. Buy your tickets from LMT to save some $$.

You are one of the few posters around here who say you are going to MNSSHP and actually mean WDW! :) Such a relief! It can be quite worrying around here for the people who clearly are mixing up the parties.

On average, LMT Club saves about $10 per day off a multi-day ticket -- so about $50 off an adult 5 day park hopper. That's a pretty decent discount, especially when buying more than one ticket. And it's so convenient that you can scan your vouchers right into the app and take the vouchers directly to the gates.
If the budget allows, try to get Premium Rooms at the CCI. Having breakfast delivered to the room in the morning really helps when you're getting everyone ready for a day in the parks. And the extra space is a nice perk. On our last stay, with two Premium Rooms, CCI saved us over $600 a night compared to the GCH.

People here have posted good things about Hyatt House. As long as you don't mind the walk or plan on other transportation, like Uber, you should be fine.
The Hyatt house is directly across from Carsland, right?

Because of how close the parks are to each other, and because you can literally walk steps out one gate and into the other, I always am pro-hopper. We always find a reason we want to hop, even if we are just there for a morning. It may for a FP, because we want to eat somewhere specific, a show, whatever. Since you don’t waste any transportation time, the hopper is super handy at DL as opposed to WDW where you have to take some form
of transportation to hop between most parks.

Also if you are using MaxPass, since you can now get a FP for the other park once you are scanned in, it makes hopping even more useful!

We can’t do more than a week at WDW either. 5 days is my limit!
I decided on park hopper after reading about your own experiences. At Disney World, a park hopper is a waste of money. I think we'd benefit from being able to leave and go to DCA if things are too crowded at DL. Yup, love Disney but 5 days is my limit lol.

My kids actually struggle at WDW. They have a hard time with how few ride options there are at each individual park. Since my DD6 is not a thrill ride person, it was particularly challenging for her because she would want to ride Pooh again, for example, but the wait of 50 minutes vs 5 she was used to at DLR was very offputting.

There is so much to do at DLR in each park that two days might be just enough to get everything done if you push. Definitely won't get bored!

ETA- we advocate hopping at DLR but we don't at WDW. It's much easier and a short walk between the two parks. We hop multiple times a day as the mood strikes us and based on crowd patterns.
I worry about Epcot with my youngest and Hollywood studios for both. There's less rides and things to keep them interested. I'd do 5 days of MK but I'm a big kid lol.

The beach will likely be cold at that time of year. The water will be freezing, not swimming temps! I wouldn’t plan more than a half day to just stick your feet in the very cold sand. Knotts is a fun one full day activity though! There is also a beautiful and huge aquarium in Long Beach that your kids might enjoy if you don’t have something like that at home!
Checking on Google let me know that the average high is not over 70 and sometimes in the 40s. Yikes! We're in nyc so there's a lot of touristy places but everything is super expensive. We would love to see the aquarium at Long Beach and seaworld in San Diego!

I also recommend staying off site. DL doesn't have the same amount of onsite options like WDW. So its the difference of staying onsite for around $500+ a night versus more around $150-200 off site I would do off site. There are lots of close off site hotels that are within 5-10 minutes walk away.
When Walt built DL businesses boxed them in and DL misses out on a lot of the open space and themed hotels that WDW has. I'd never pay 500 for a hotel room when a comparable one is 150 or 200.

That's a great idea. How much was the suite?

The Hyatt house is directly across from Carsland, right?

Not exactly. The Hyatt House is on the corner of Katella and Harbor, about 1/4 mile south of the Harbor entrance. I'm sure that you can see the back of Cars Land from the upper floors of the Hyatt House. Hyatt House is "directly across" from the Spring Hill Suites and CVS (due west), a small strip mall (due north), a 7-11 and the Desert Palms hotel (diagonally across). The back of Cars Land can be seen behind the Desert Palms.

...That's a great idea. How much was the suite?

It wasn't a suite, just 2 premium connecting rooms. The rates vary, and we had a AAA discount. Look on the CCI website to see what the rates are for your dates, then call the hotel to see whether you qualify for a discount.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter