Planning a family trip for 10 people in 2024

MMays

Earning My Ears
DVC Gold
Hello! I am planning a family trip in October 2024 and staying at my home resort BWV.

We have a total of 6 adults and 4 children (ages 12-17) and I cannot decide what to book room wise. If I bank and borrow, I will have a total of 600 points. I think 2 studios would be a bit cramped and a 3 bedroom would be out of the question. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Can you manage a 1BR and a studio? You need to look at family groups and who would sleep where. Giving each family group their own private space could be helpful. When we had our 9-person family trip, we had to limit it to 6 nights instead of 7 in order to book two 2BR villas and allow each family at least one room to themselves.

How many people are in each family group?

Will all adult couples want a private bedroom?

Have you looked at points for a 1BR & a studio, as mentioned above?

How long are you going? 6 nights in a GV at BWV in Oct looks to be 619 points, so if you'll have 600 total, you could buy 19 OTU points to cover the difference. Provided you want to blow the full 600.

2 1 bedrooms would work too, 2 bed and a studio, 600 points goes a long way at boardwalk.

How many people are in each family group?

Will all adult couples want a private bedroom?

Have you looked at points for a 1BR & a studio, as mentioned above?
it will be 2 families of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) plus my sister and mom. Yes I have looked into a 1BR & studio and that works points wise.

Can you manage a 1BR and a studio? You need to look at family groups and who would sleep where. Giving each family group their own private space could be helpful. When we had our 9-person family trip, we had to limit it to 6 nights instead of 7 in order to book two 2BR villas and allow each family at least one room to themselves.
I did look into a 1BR & studio, but i think it will be tight with 10 of us.

How long are you going? 6 nights in a GV at BWV in Oct looks to be 619 points, so if you'll have 600 total, you could buy 19 OTU points to cover the difference. Provided you want to blow the full 600.

2 1 bedrooms would work too, 2 bed and a studio, 600 points goes a long way at boardwalk.
We will be there for 8 days. I will look into these. Thank you!

Keep in mind, Fri & Sat nights are more points per night. When I need to save points or don’t have enough points, I book trip for Sunday - Friday.

Can’t buy those until 7 months, which means having to book one night less to start in a GV and no guarantee it’d still be there.

I did look into a 1BR & studio, but i think it will be tight with 10 of us.
Oops, sorry, I didn’t do the sleeping surfaces math - yes, a 1BR + studio would sleep 10 only if someone is on the floor in the 1BR. A 2BR + studio or a GV is about the only way to give everyone a bed. Look at floor plans and plot out exactly who would sleep where.
We will be there for 8 days. I will look into these. Thank you!
Eight nights = a lot of points! You need to do the math for all combinations, plus keep in mind that you can’t be sure you’d get a Standard view for any or all (unless you book a GV), so it’s better to budget for BW/P/G view and be happy if you get any standard.

You say you are going in Oct. Be aware of the following: for October reservations, standard view studios (and 2BRs because all are lock-offs) often fill within nanoseconds after 8 a.m. eastern at 11-months out, or sometimes fill before 11-months out due to multiple-day reservations made by those with an arrival date shortly before yours. The same often happens to boardwalk view studios (and 2BRs) for that time of year particularly if time you want in Oct is any nights from the Thurs before Columbus Day through the weekend after Columbus Day; and the same can sometimes happen to GV's during that time. Thus, if you are intending to get anything other than pool/garden view, or 1BRs in any view (which tend to last a little longer past the 11-month window), you may have difficulty getting reservations, and may need to waitlist and keep checking constantly, hopping rooms open up after 11-months out.

Also note that though 5 are allowed in a 1BR, there is no bed for the fifth and you have to provide your own bedding for the fifth (e.g., a blow-up mattress or sleeping bag). However 5 are allowed in studios due to the extra less-than-twin-size Murphy bed that pulls out of a cabinet beneath the TV.

Last edited:
Would you be booking standard view rooms? Obviously this saves points.
Is there a big difference in standard rooms versus Boardwalk view, etc? Is the walk further to the parks? I dont think view is important than location.

Please let us know what you end up booking.
Happy planning!
I have been thinking about doing a split stay due to my indecisiveness. 4/4, AKL and BWV. But i heard the bussing situation at AKL is a mess. We will be doing AK/MK during the AKL stay and HS/Epcot during the BWV stay.

I think you need a gathering spot for your group so my vote is
for a studio and a GV or stay fewer days in a GV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter