Planning a Harry Potter birthday party and need suggestions...

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
DS8 has chosen to have a Harry Potter-themed birthday party at home and I've been having fun planning it. He has a lot of people to invite since his group hasn't transitioned yet to smaller parties. Luckily, I'm pretty good at planning fun parties on a budget so it shouldn't be too expensive. So far I've planned out the decorations and activities but I'm struggling with the menu. It's at 2 pm so I'm just serving light snacks and cake. I've looked online for ideas but haven't found any fun and easy ideas that aren't sweets, drinks, or candy other than pretzel stick "wands." One of the favors will be letting each kid fill a small bag with candy at "Honeydukes" so I'm not planning to serve candy. Any suggestions? I don't want to make a bunch of stuff since I don't think 3rd graders will appreciate the effort and because I'll be busy setting up for the party.

I think most savory Harry Potter food is just normal British food. Meat Pies, Pasties, Fish & Chips etc. So I would look up appetizers or small plates that are typically served. Sausage rolls, tea sandwiches, etc.

ETA: For sandwiches, you could just make normal American choices (ham & cheese, PBJ) but cut them into small squares, with no crust.

Last edited:
DS8 has chosen to have a Harry Potter-themed birthday party at home and I've been having fun planning it. He has a lot of people to invite since his group hasn't transitioned yet to smaller parties. Luckily, I'm pretty good at planning fun parties on a budget so it shouldn't be too expensive. So far I've planned out the decorations and activities but I'm struggling with the menu. It's at 2 pm so I'm just serving light snacks and cake. I've looked online for ideas but haven't found any fun and easy ideas that aren't sweets, drinks, or candy other than pretzel stick "wands." One of the favors will be letting each kid fill a small bag with candy at "Honeydukes" so I'm not planning to serve candy. Any suggestions? I don't want to make a bunch of stuff since I don't think 3rd graders will appreciate the effort and because I'll be busy setting up for the party.

Nothing specific but I bet Pinterest can be your friend here

I like "Professor Sprout's Garden" or the "Sorting Hat Snack Tray" in this one:
https://www.peanutblossom.com/blog/easy-harry-potter-snacks/
(You could change the gummy worms out for a veggie cut in long, skinny strips - maybe green peppers?)

** Or for sorting, I also love surprise cups - You have to prep ahead a little by putting food coloring in the bottom of (non-clear) cups and letting it dry. Then just before you serve them, you cover that with ice. Each kid grabs an ice-filled cup, an adult pours Sprite in, and it turns a house color.

If your kid likes deviled eggs, here's one for "Dragon Eggs" that look really cool (and can be made ahead) -
http://simplypotter.com/dragon-deviled-egg-recipe/

And if they like cheese and crackers, here's a "Sorting Hat Cheeseball" -
https://www.sustainingthepowers.com/harry-potter-sorting-hat-cheese-ball/

Thanks for the suggestions. I can get American sausage rolls at Costco since I don't want to make British ones. I also like the idea of mini sandwiches and I have something that works well for serving them. The dragon deviled eggs might be good for the adults. I love the sorting hat cheese ball but I'm wondering if the black color will freak the kids out.

about 10 years ago, my 8 year old daughter had a harry potter party. two of the highlights were the sorting ceremony and potions class. we took an old hat and sat each kid on a stool and called out their house. and then for potions, we gave each kid a large cup(very wide on the bottom so as not to spill or tip over. and made various flavors of koolaid. blended up some fresh fruits. some sweet spices(brown sugar, powdered sugar). etc. and whatever else you can think of...including ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise...and let them make their own potions. some of them were actually pretty good and the kids got a kick out of tasting eachothers....and saying things like, this tastes like polyjuice potion. and you can go on any potter site to come up with cool names of various ingredients. it really wasn't that hard to get ready.

I was in Target this morning and they had the hat that's in the movie(don't remember the name of it) Anyway they had as a piñata.
It was very cute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter