Planning First Disneyland Vacation

e_yerger

DIS Veteran
Hello - WDW Veteran here!

I have been to Disneyland once before and we used Dreams to book our trip. This time I'm looking to book myself in hopes of saving money on hotels rates & finding discounted tickets. Any advice/tips of planning a trip yourself? How far in advance should I be looking for hotel rates?

Info about the trip: Feb 13 - 18th, 2020
Needs: Walking distance to the park (last time we stayed, we were down by the Target on Harbor Blvd and we had to Uber everywhere)
Price point: As cheap as possible w/o staying in a dumb - we are planning a rest day and will want to be able to enjoy the hotel we're at.
Special Perk: breakfast included would be amazing but not a deal breaker

We just got back from our first DL trip. We stayed at the Tropicana Inn & Suites. We loved it! Breakfast is not included. There is a small store adjacent to the motel and it was handy to grab snacks and definitely water bottles before and after our park days. We bought our discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist.

Happy Planning!

We just got back from our first DL trip. We stayed at the Tropicana Inn & Suites. We loved it! Breakfast is not included. There is a small store adjacent to the motel and it was handy to grab snacks and definitely water bottles before and after our park days. We bought our discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist.

Happy Planning!
It’s been a few years, but I really liked Best Western Park Place. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and it’s pretty much at the gate. The pool is not great, but it’s convenient as all get out.

For cheap tickets I recommend Last Minute Travel. You need a membership but you can find a free code for the membership. The only down side is they don’t come with MaxPass. Unlike other places you can add theses discounted tickets directly to your Disneyland app so you go straight to the entry gate.

As for hotels - I’ve stayed at the Clementine Inn, Fairfield, and Desert Palms. Fairfield Inn is a very close to the park. While the other 2 hotels are a little further away- about 10- 15 minute walk. People also talk highly about Candy cane Inn- I’m staying there in a couple of weeks so I can report back.

We love Undercover Tourist tickets. I’m not familiar with the Last Minute Travel company, but UT tickets can also be added directly to the app - and they offer Maxpass included as an option. We did this in June for our first family trip and it worked out perfectly!

About Maxpass - some people say wait to add it to your tickets after you enter, or wait and see if you really need it. Well, after our first day of use, we were completely hooked. And it was nice not to have to add it to our tickets each day. I know it’s not difficult, but I didn’t want to be hammering that out on the app as soon as I entered the gates.

Best Western Plus Anaheim is one of my favorites. You're super close, they have a nice little breakfast and you can watch people walking to the parks from the breakfast balcony. I've only experienced good service and clean rooms. It will run you 1364.

Aloha,
You can usually book hotels about a year out, I have noticed that I seem to get the best rate the earlier I book. I always book a completely cancelable hotel and check periodically for different promotions. We go to DL or DW every year and always stay on the budget side it has to be clean and a fairly easy walk. At DW we always stay at the Pop Century. At DL we have stayed at the Dessert Inn and Suites the Hilton Convention center a couple times, the Castle Inn and suites, Red Lion and this year we are staying at Little Boy Blue.
I would stay at any of them again not sure about Little Boy Blue yet the reviews on TA were good.
Mousesavers had a great rate at the Hilton for $99.00 a night sometimes. Happy Planning

Some trip planning information for you:
From the Disneyland (California) board -- the DLR trip planning forum:
Start with this sticky at the top of the first page: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- TONS of great information and threads here!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- this is pre-SWGE, but still very, very helpful!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so much good information here!
Hotel Info: Read these threads then ask any questions on the DLR board
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- at DLR, it's all about location, location, location! If you can be walking distance to the gates, great! If not, be walking distance to one of the parking lots so that you can catch the free shuttle buses or the tram. Or be a quick Uber/Lyft ride away. But the less commuting you have to do to get to/from the parks, the easier your trip will be.
Book hotel and tickets separately -- you'll save more money that way. Unless you find a package deal that gives you perks that you want, e.g. Costco packages. But at DLR, booking separately is easy and cost effective. UT is well liked here, and they now offer MP with their tickets. LMT is good, too -- use Google to find a free membership code. Check Mousesavers.com for the latest deals on hotels, tickets, car rentals, etc. If a vendor is listed there, they are authorized and legit. If you can possibly add a third day to your tickets, you'll get a Magic Morning (one hour early entry to DL -- FL and TL only -- on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday -- but check the dates for Christmas Week because Disney can change this.) With good planning, a MM can help you get a lot done with rides that aren't on the FP system.
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- you've already heard about the crowds -- MP can really help you if you know how to use it to your advantage -- ask all questions in this Superthread!
Check the AP Blockout Calendar (blockout-dates) -- that can help give an idea of what to expect with crowds, especially with holidays.
This is from another recent thread, but has great information for you, too!

I looked at 4 day park hoppers, no max pass for budgeting purposes from Disney, Undercover Tourist, Get Away Today and Last Minute Travel and currently LMT is significantly cheaper than everyone else. LMT doesn't offer max pass so it would mean adding it each day (question: can you upgrade tickets purchased from LMT to max pass tickets for the full 4 days?), but we did that on our last trip and it was no big deal. Plus, the savings was enough to pay for one day of max pass per person, which is worth it in my world.

We love Undercover Tourist tickets. I’m not familiar with the Last Minute Travel company, but UT tickets can also be added directly to the app - and they offer Maxpass included as an option. We did this in June for our first family trip and it worked out perfectly!

About Maxpass - some people say wait to add it to your tickets after you enter, or wait and see if you really need it. Well, after our first day of use, we were completely hooked. And it was nice not to have to add it to our tickets each day. I know it’s not difficult, but I didn’t want to be hammering that out on the app as soon as I entered the gates.

We also got the max pass option through UT! Totally worth it! It was super easy to link our tickets to the Disney app before went and we loved how we could make fp's at either park!

Wow! You guys are amazing all of this information is great! I can't wait to take a deeper dive into all of this - I can't thank you enough!

I looked at 4 day park hoppers, no max pass for budgeting purposes from Disney, Undercover Tourist, Get Away Today and Last Minute Travel and currently LMT is significantly cheaper than everyone else. LMT doesn't offer max pass so it would mean adding it each day (question: can you upgrade tickets purchased from LMT to max pass tickets for the full 4 days?), but we did that on our last trip and it was no big deal. Plus, the savings was enough to pay for one day of max pass per person, which is worth it in my world.

We did. We also went through last minute travel and we added max pass as we passed security on day one

I purchased LMT tickets for my son and his GF for Christmas - then he broke up with her 2 weeks later (he's dumb, but I digress... ha.). She used hers this last week and it was quick and painless to add MP to the LMT ticket at the ticket booth on her first day.

With all of your help I've been able to narrow down my hotel selection to two options, but I'm not sure which one to go with!

Travel dates: Feb 13 - 18th. 3 days in parks with one rest day; 2 travel days.
Demographics: 26&27yo couple, no kids
Prices are for hotel only

Options 1: Hotel Indigo - $983.68
Pros: next to Gardenwalk so we can enjoy that on our rest day, stylish modern rooms, cheaper price point
Cons: 10-15 min walk to DL gates

Options 2: Best Western Park Place Inn - $1153.05
Pros: shortest walking distance to DL gates, free breakfast
Cons: rooms don't seem to be as nice as Hotel Indigo, more expensive

What would you suggest?

I stayed once at Hotel Indigo (It was called something else then). Nice hotel, great pool area, but that walk is a killer after a long day.

Have stayed at BWPPI a few times and it was perfect ! Cannot beat the walk....the closest to the entrances.... and cannot emphasize enough, how important that short walk is !! You and your feet and legs will so appreciate BWPPI each night ! You don't want to stare longingly at BW as you walk on down Harbor! Just so convenient !!

I've actually stayed at both. I like both for different reasons. As you mentioned, the room at the Hotel Indigo is nicer, particularly the bathroom. BWPPI's bathroom was very small and I tend to dislike those shower/tub combos. Hotel Indigo has laminate flooring and great walk-in showers. The walk wasn't bad, about 10 minutes, and we still managed to take breaks midday.

The BWPPI's main advantage is proximity. One time DH decided to change into shorts (while I stayed on Main Street) and he was back within 15-20 minutes. Awesome for taking breaks and on the feet. BWPPI did a soft goods refurb within the past few years and the room is actually pretty nice for motel standards. I just prefer the look of Hotel Indigo.

Since the price is so close, I guess it depends on how much the niceness of the hotel vs very close proximity matters to you. Since Hotel Indigo is cheaper, you could always hop over to CVS or Walgreens (very close to Hotel Indigo) for some basic breakfast items and then get an early snack or lunch in the parks. Are you going to be driving or will have a rental car? That's also another consideration -- parking at Hotel Indigo is free.

I might be tempted to do Hotel Indigo and use the savings for Uber rides if you find that your legs really are tired at the end of the day. The drop off/pick up lot is just by the Harbor entrance, so it's right on your way out anyway. If you need the ride, well, there you are. And if you find the walk to be no problem, then the savings can go toward your next DLR trip or toward a really nice souvenir of this one. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter