Planning Help/Critique/Advice- 2.5 Days in July

Abharmagic

DIS Veteran
Going July 1-3, arriving after 1 PM on July 1 so will only have 2 full park days. We have 3 day hoppers and will be getting MaxPass. It's myeslf, DH, DD (14) and DS (12) we have never been to DL but are frequent WDW'ers. Staying onsite at DLH.
Here's what I have planned:

July 1- Arrive 1PM (driving in from Phoenix)-
Check in DLH return rental car onsite
Have a runner go to gate and add MaxPass
Sit by pool, relax, eat- book a FP
Go into DLR around 6PM
Eat QS, ride a few rides, walk around

July 2- EMH DCA
Try to ride as many rides as we can before 11 AM
Eat in DTD or at QS
Go back to DLH- swim, relax
Dinner at Wine Country Trattoria
More park touring
WOC Dessert Party

July 3- DLR
Try to ride as many rides as we can before 11 AM
Eat at QS
Go back to DLH- swim, relax
F! Dinner at Blue Bayou
More park touring
Looks like there is a 4th of July themed fireworks show???

What is PTN? Do we NEEEEED to see it? I'm on the fence about Fantasmic. We are frequent WDW travelers. We aren't much of parade watchers and actually prefer to hit up the rides while everyone is sitting around waiting for a parade.

Help me prioritize our rides. Kids really want to do: All the Mountains, Indiana Jones, Incredicoaster, Cars Racers, Guardians of the Galaxy TOT ride. How many of those are open for early park entry hours. We plan to arrive early, take an afternoon break, and return until close.

Critique me. I can take it!

You will all need to enter the park to activate MaxPass-can’t use a runner for that.

We probably wouldn’t spend quite that much time swimming and hanging at hotel and eating sit down meals with such a quick trip but that’s just us.

Going July 1-3, arriving after 1 PM on July 1 so will only have 2 full park days. We have 3 day hoppers and will be getting MaxPass. It's myeslf, DH, DD (14) and DS (12) we have never been to DL but are frequent WDW'ers. Staying onsite at DLH.
Here's what I have planned:

July 1- Arrive 1PM (driving in from Phoenix)-
Check in DLH return rental car onsite
Have a runner go to gate and add MaxPass
Sit by pool, relax, eat- book a FP
Go into DLR around 6PM
Eat QS, ride a few rides, walk around
Help me prioritize our rides. Kids really want to do: All the Mountains, Indiana Jones, Incredicoaster, Cars Racers, Guardians of the Galaxy TOT ride. How many of those are open for early park entry hours. We plan to arrive early, take an afternoon break, and return until close.

Critique me. I can take it!
You can't get MP on a ticket that hasn't been scanned into the park, and a person cannot scan someone else's ticket in, either. You all have to go to the gate and scan in to one of the parks (doesn't matter which) if you intend to purchase MP.

Every DCA attraction you list is available for EMH. At DL, Indy (note - Indy's going down for a refurb in early June and nobody seems to know why or for how long), BTMRR, and Splash open at regular park opening and aren't available during EMH - only attractions in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open.

You can't get MP on a ticket that hasn't been scanned into the park, and a person cannot scan someone else's ticket in, either. You all have to go to the gate and scan in to one of the parks (doesn't matter which) if you intend to purchase MP.

Every DCA attraction you list is available for EMH. At DL, Indy (note - Indy's going down for a refurb in early June and nobody seems to know why or for how long), BTMRR, and Splash open at regular park opening and aren't available during EMH - only attractions in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open.

Thanks- we are new to the whole MaxPass thing. We all will take a stroll down and activate our tix mand add Max Pass. I’m sure we will all be exhausted and need a little downtime before hitting the rides. DLR is the last leg of a 14 day road trip out West hitting all sorts of hot spots (and not so hot spots haha) and attractions. I appreciate the heads up.

Too funny that my kids’ “must do list” includes rides not available during EMH. Since the list isn’t TOO long I’m thinking we can check off all their wants in 2.5 days (at least once).
My kids are mostly interested in the rides/attractions I listed. I’m bummed to read that about Indiana Jones :( my DS is a huge fan- has been since he was little. Fingers crossed it’s up and running when we are there.

My DH is a sit down meal (at least one a day) kind of guy. I know it seems like a lot of downtime, but they are teen/tween agers and go with the flow well. We will walk around, take in the atmosphere, get fast passes, ride stuff, and generally just enjoy ourselves. No tears will be shed if we can’t get on Peter Pan... I know the two parks (WDW and DLR) are unique in and of themselves, but there are some things we are just fine with skipping ;)

If you haven't already done so, read this thread for lots of great information: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

As for PTN, I would recommend it since WDW doesn't have anything like it right now. F! at DL is almost unanimously voted to be the better show (but everyone agrees WDW has better viewing!) -- just the DL ending with the Mark Twain is magical. You can watch some videos of both on YouTube (there are some very high quality videos available) to see whether either of these would be a good fit for your family.

I would spend the first half day doing all the shows and parades since lines will be long when entering in the afternoon and maybe mix in a few of the non fast pass rides as time allows. Then hit all the rides hard days 2 and 3

Considering having our TS meals at lunch as we are leaving the parks- then we can swim, nap, shower, refresh and return and not feel tied down to a sit down meal. DH does need one square meal a day, though lol. Although, I do want those F! butt cushions.... yes, I'm weird

I just booked 7/2 WOC dessert party!!! It cost a pretty penny, hoping it's worth it.

Note that, with MP, during crazy Christmas week, we were able to hit every major attraction in two days and never had to wait longer than 20 minutes. So you can accomplish quite a bit, even if it's quite busy.

Note that, with MP, during crazy Christmas week, we were able to hit every major attraction in two days and never had to wait longer than 20 minutes. So you can accomplish quite a bit, even if it's quite busy.

That is my HOPE! I know it will be busy.

Since you're staying at the DLH, I read somewhere you can scan your ticket at the monorail entrance in Downtown Disney, and that will activate it for MaxPass. Much closer to the hotel. That will get you back to the pool quicker your first day!

Since you're staying at the DLH, I read somewhere you can scan your ticket at the monorail entrance in Downtown Disney, and that will activate it for MaxPass. Much closer to the hotel. That will get you back to the pool quicker your first day!

Perfect! I’m confused on the ticket pick up/activation process when I check in. I still have to activate or pick them up or something? Or I pick them up at the gate? Not talking about MaxPass, but the actual ticket. They no longer mail this stuff out ahead of time. I’m a little confused on this process. Did I just over complicate it?

If you bought them through the Disneyland Hotel, they may have them for you when you check in (that’s how we got ours two years ago when we stayed there). Hopefully you don’t have to take some printout to the front gate. I would check ahead of time.

If you bought them through the Disneyland Hotel, they may have them for you when you check in (that’s how we got ours two years ago when we stayed there). Hopefully you don’t have to take some printout to the front gate. I would check ahead of time.

I got them as a package through Costco. I’m hoping for the best (at DLH) but planning for the worst (gate) I guess it won’t really matter since I want to add MaxPass when we arrive. Either way we’ll be walking to the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter