Planning my first multigenerational trip to WDW!

mamawolfe417

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I've been reading the DIS forms and listening to the podcast for many years, and even though I've never really joined the conversations (social anxiety even online :scared:) I've loved seeing how others plan and enjoy their trips. I'm currently planning a different type of vacation than I've ever experienced and I thought I'd drive right in, give this a try and see what insights all my fellow Disney fans can offer!

Okay so first off: Who am I?

I'm a 35 year old stay-at-home mom who is working to complete my masters in Educational Technology. I was a Disney kid from the beginning and to this day I can still remember the moment my parents told me we were going to Disney World for the first time. I spent most of my childhood going to Disney every year, slowing to every couple of years when I went to college. I've been the main planner in my family since I was in high school but this Disney trip will be challenging. My Disney style is definitely "don't stop till you drop" and that is just not possible with this trip.

Who's going?

DH- My husband, also 35, had just one Disney experience when he was young, so he was basically a Disney newbie when we started seeing each other. Even though he didn't grow up going to WDW like I did, he loves it just as much and has been completely on board with going as much as we can.

Jake and Andrew- Our twin sons who are just a week away from their 1st birthday. This will be their first trip to WDW, if you don't count the trip we took when I was 16 weeks pregnant with them :earsboy:. When we go the boys will be 22 months, which is a little younger than I had originally planned. I was hoping to wait until they were a month way from turning 3 and I'm very nervous about how they will handle this trip. I have never planned a trip with small children in mind and I don't want to over do it.

My parents- So the reason we are taking this trip earlier than we would of liked is because of my parents. They are older than typical parents for someone my age so I'm dealing with big age gaps in planning this trip. My mom will be 66 when we go and is in decent health. She had a knee replacement a few years ago so she will be taking everything slowly, but that really isn't an issue. My dad will be 82 and is actually in better health than most of us. Other than hearing issues, he is physically very capable of Disney trip. They are the reason I have so many amazing WDW memories, but they haven't been in 13 years. They are sure that this is the last trip to Disney they will ever take and want to be able to share at least one with their grandsons. At this point they feel they are healthy enough to go and don't want to risk not being able to have this experience.

Maggie- Our miniature dachshund...yes I'm one of those people who will be taking their dog (Sorry). Maggie is a sweetheart and we typically leave her with my parents when we travel places she can't go. I honestly have no where else for her to stay that I trust and luckily she is very quiet and easy to travel with. She's stayed in hotels, cabins, and beach houses without any trouble. I feel if any dog can handle Disney, it's her.

That's the whole group, 4 adults 2 toddlers and a dog! I have a lot to consider on this trip and I don't want to feel overwhelmed because planning for me is a big part of the fun.

So far here is want I know:
Trip dates: February 2-9, 2019
Hotel: Art of Animation- Hopefully in the Cars Suites

We do plan to make some dinning reservations, with Tusker House being my only absolute must do. I've never eaten there, but I've heard great things. My only worry is how my sons will handle characters.
I know I would like to get into Be Our Guest (my mom's favorite movie) but it's not a must. I'm kind of stuck on what restaurants to choose.

This is about where I am in my planning stages. I hope this post wasn't too long. Thanks for reading and I hope you can share any great advice you might have!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter