Planning my first spontaneous WDW trip!

disneylover81

DIS Veteran
First the backstory… My daughter graduates high school next weekend and I asked her if she wanted to have a party or something else. She said she wanted to go on a trip. So I asked where, hoping she’d say WDW. Well first she said the beach.. so I replied we can go anywhere like Disney or anywhere else. Immediately she said yes, let’s go to Disney so she can ride the rides she missed on our last trip when she was pregnant. She’s had a rough few months and I think a getaway will be good for her. She’s almost 18 and had a baby 3 months ago, and she’s just been struggling to balance her new life as a teenage mother. She had the baby, moved out into her own apartment with her boyfriend who is also graduating next week, they have the baby, plus they both work full time jobs. I know it’s a lot for a 17 year old, but she’s very independent. She’s got a little case of postpartum and in an instant feeling overwhelmed, she left her boyfriend, moved out of the apartment and was staying with a friend, almost lost her job because of her attitude since having the baby, plus juggling the new custody arrangements with the baby’s father. It’s been very hard on us all. I was a 17 year old mother so I can relate to a lot of these things she’s going through. I have spent the last month trying to guide her into making better decisions and fixing her mistakes so DH and I decided this would be a good opportunity for me to take her out of town on a mother daughter trip and away from home for a few days and try to help her get back on track. We have been trying to get her to just move back home with us so we can help her, but she thinks that’s moving backwards and not forward in her life. I understand her a lot because I left my parents house when I was an 18 year old single mother and I refused to go back no matter how bad I struggled.
So today we decided that we’d try to go this weekend, if anything was available to book. I am not spontaneous and I’m an obsessive planner so a last minute trip is new to me, but I know in my gut this is important for my daughter. So I logged on to the DVC site, expecting nothing but maybe SSR to be available if I was lucky and to my surprise a BLT standard view studio was available! BLT is not my favorite by any means, but it was higher on my list than SSR. We love to stay at the MK resorts though so I booked it as fast as I could. Then I had the task of finding plane tickets. So I went to SWA and I knew they’d be pricey for such short notice and I also knew how getting WGA tickets would not have a good boarding position and I’m not ever happy to be a Group B boarder. I had a 20% off promo code for any flight I booked within 14 days of travel that I’ve been holding on to, so I booked us Anytime tickets costing me 80k RR points 😳 I just keep telling myself she’s worth it. Then I booked our Mears Connect reservation. I’m an AP holder, but DD is not, so I purchased her a 3 day PH ticket through undercover tourist, then requested a price match to boardwalk ticketing since they were cheaper. I’ve never purchased from them before and I’m on a time crunch and I knew UT would send her tickets immediately. Linked her tickets to MDE and make park reservations. So the only thing left was any dining reservations we might want. She loves Ohana and it just so happened I stumbled on one for Friday night. Then I just booked a lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby for Saturday. We’ve never eaten there, but I always heard the Cobb salad was good so we will try it out.
I am so excited and nervous like I’m forgetting to do something being in such a rush. We haven’t even started packing yet so we will work on that tomorrow. I’m sad that I have pre-check and she doesn’t so we will have to go through the regular TSA security line. She would never go through it alone and just let me breeze through pre-check. 🤦🏼‍♀️
I’m hoping this will be a great trip for her and for me. She’s my youngest child and it’s hard to see her struggling. I just want her to be able to listen and take my advice on where to go from here. She will start college in August so that will be another thing on her plate.
She is so excited to get to ride Tron and GOTG finally. She’s going to love them both. DH and I just got back from our 21st anniversary trip last week. Never in a million years did I ever think I’d get to go to WDW twice in the same month!! It’s a dream come true for sure! 😬

What a great Mama you are! And how brave and loving and noble of your DD to keep her baby and be a young single Mom! My youngest is 18, graduating HS this weekend, and headed to college in Aug. as well.
My advice would be to relax into BLT....we own there, and it's an awesome "double resort" due to Contemporary. Enjoy the views (my faves are the views of MK from the large windows by elevator, the skybridge view, and Bay Lake!)
Take advantage of everything there, every amenity, every luxury, every close proximity, every delicious sip and bite! The six minute walk to MK (including the almighty bus stop area and boat launches) will make your stay so easy. The monorail being right next to you will make travel a breeze. Relax into all of that and savor this precious time with your baby!
Mine chose a WDW trip over a grad party and gifts, so we're headed "home" next month and we can't wait!
God bless, enjoy, and Welcome Home.

What a great Mama you are! And how brave and loving and noble of your DD to keep her baby and be a young single Mom! My youngest is 18, graduating HS this weekend, and headed to college in Aug. as well.
My advice would be to relax into BLT....we own there, and it's an awesome "double resort" due to Contemporary. Enjoy the views (my faves are the views of MK from the large windows by elevator, the skybridge view, and Bay Lake!)
Take advantage of everything there, every amenity, every luxury, every close proximity, every delicious sip and bite! The six minute walk to MK (including the almighty bus stop area and boat launches) will make your stay so easy. The monorail being right next to you will make travel a breeze. Relax into all of that and savor this precious time with your baby!
Mine chose a WDW trip over a grad party and gifts, so we're headed "home" next month and we can't wait!
God bless, enjoy, and Welcome Home.
Thanks for the encouragement and conrgats on your graduate! I am so excited for this trip, even beyond the hard talks I will need to have with her. She's my little bestie. I wish we could stay longer, but she doesn't want to be away from the baby too long.
BLT will be fine for us. I have read the studios are small, but it's just the two of us so it'll be okay. I do love the location. DH and I stayed at VGF (where we own) a couple weeks ago and I have to say I really missed the walkway to MK being open so I am happy to have the BLT walkway to use this trip.
I hope y'all have an amazing time on your trip next month!

I wish you a blessed mother/daughter get-away!!!
Life is tough and being a single mom will never be easy. I remember my own daughter struggling (mentally) after our GS was born and she was 25 then.

Have a wonderful mother and daughter trip! I do these with my daughter sometimes once a year and they've been such great bonding opportunities for us.

I wish you a blessed mother/daughter get-away!!!
Life is tough and being a single mom will never be easy. I remember my own daughter struggling (mentally) after our GS was born and she was 25 then.
Thank you. I hope your daughter is doing well now. It is tough, I was a single mother for 3 years from the age of 17 and then my son's father and I mended our relationship and now we have been married 21 years. But those first 3 years were definitely the hardest time of my life. I tried all I could to prevent my daughter from following in my footsteps. I had her on birth control, but she didn't take it the correct way and now she's dealing with the consequences of her actions. I hate it for her, but oh how we all love that sweet baby and can't imagine him not in our lives!

I hope you both have a wonderful trip and some time to just breathe. There is so much going on for both of you, this might be the R&R you both need.... Sending pixie dust your way! :tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter