Planning my Tokyo Disney trip!

belle2211

DIS Veteran
I am traveling with 3 of my closest friends to Hong Kong Disneyland and then Tokyo Disneyland from June 25-July 9. I have so many questions, that I don't know where to start!!

~Has anyone stayed at the Hilton or the Sheraton near the park? This seems to be fitting into our price range but I want to make sure that we can fit 4 women into a room and that its nice and easy to get to the parks.
~ Can we do both parks in 2 days?
~ Are there any sort of ticket deals for 2 or 3 days?
~We were thinking of staying near Disney for 3 nights then moving to the city for the other 6 nights...does anyone have any good suggestions of a place to stay in the city that would fit 4 women?
~Besides Disney, what other things do you suggest that we do while in Tokyo?
~Can you use American debit cards over there (like from Bank of America) or is it better to use a credit card like American Express or to bring travellers checks?
~What other tips do you have?

Thank you so much!!

The Hilton is the best bet of the resort hotels (unless the Disney ones are in your price range). Usually 3 adults are the max in a room, so you should check the website before making a booking.

There is a park hopper ticket enabling you to do both parks in the same day, but I REALLY WOULDN'T recommend it. I spent 8 hours at DisneySea and did just 4 rides, whilst Journey to the Center of the Earth (the ride in the volcano) was never less than a 2hr wait all day, which meant I couldn't queue for that one. Being English and not knowing a word of Japanese, I couldn't work out how to use FastPass, so that option was gone... :lmao:

In Tokyo itself, I would advise to stay at the Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. I stayed there in October, and actually got a coach to Disney Resort. Here is an idea of what the hotel is like in and outside http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qu_OixtjSA

You will see that on tripadvisor.com Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku is consistently rated one of the top hotels in Tokyo, despite it being merely a 3 star hotel. It does have free internet in the rooms, which is good, and all staff speak great English. I paid around £55 per night, which in USD is probably around $80.

Shinjuku and nearby Harajuku are the glitzy and youthful areas of Tokyo, but if you wanted true 5 star luxury it's best to go to places like Ginza or Maranouchi for the international branded hotels.

Besides Disney, you must make a daytrip to Mount Fuji, ride the Shinkansen (bullet train), go shopping in Ginza or Roponggi, visit the Tokyo Government Building with its free observation platform, and try some of the famous local cuisine, like Sushi and Ramen. There is also another theme park within daytrip distance from Tokyo, Fuji-Q Highland, which is a great park for thrillseekers.

I hope you have a great time, remember to post back here with your trip report! :thumbsup2

I've stayed at both the Hilton and Sheraton- both were great and very convenient. I was always solo so I can't help on whether 4 people would work in a single room, sorry.

If you've never been there, I'd personally recommend 3 days in the parks if you can manage it- assuming you are a Disney parks freak. The way TDR multi-day passports work is that the first 2 days are set as TDL or TDS with no park hopping; the 3rd (and 4th) days allow for park hopping. Another difference is that all the days have to be consecutive- ie you can't get a 3 day passport and use it on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday- it must be Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. 3 days also allows for some margin of error if a parade or show is canceled due to weather (which has happened to me a lot)

I didn't notice that Fastpass worked any differently than the US parks. :confused3

For Tokyo hotels, what I did was to look at tripadvisor.com and then check rates on the properties that were interesting for me. For my upcoming trip, I lucked into a special for 50% off at a top rated hotel but that special is over. (I'm doing the same thing on my next trip- spend part of the trip at TDR and part in Tokyo)

If you have time, I'd strongly urge you to consider spending at least a couple days in Kyoto, which to me is more interesting for a first time visitor to Japan because there are a lot more historic sites and temples, whereas Tokyo is a lot like any big city.

Hope that helps!

As far as where to stay, look at vacation rentals. We've found them to be cheaper than hotels (though we are a group of 7), plus we get extra space, a kitchen, and a washing machine. VRBO.com and homeaway.com are good places to start.

The Hilton is the best bet of the resort hotels (unless the Disney ones are in your price range). Usually 3 adults are the max in a room, so you should check the website before making a booking.

There is a park hopper ticket enabling you to do both parks in the same day, but I REALLY WOULDN'T recommend it. I spent 8 hours at DisneySea and did just 4 rides, whilst Journey to the Center of the Earth (the ride in the volcano) was never less than a 2hr wait all day, which meant I couldn't queue for that one. Being English and not knowing a word of Japanese, I couldn't work out how to use FastPass, so that option was gone... :lmao:

In Tokyo itself, I would advise to stay at the Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. I stayed there in October, and actually got a coach to Disney Resort. Here is an idea of what the hotel is like in and outside http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qu_OixtjSA

You will see that on tripadvisor.com Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku is consistently rated one of the top hotels in Tokyo, despite it being merely a 3 star hotel. It does have free internet in the rooms, which is good, and all staff speak great English. I paid around £55 per night, which in USD is probably around $80.

Shinjuku and nearby Harajuku are the glitzy and youthful areas of Tokyo, but if you wanted true 5 star luxury it's best to go to places like Ginza or Maranouchi for the international branded hotels.

Besides Disney, you must make a daytrip to Mount Fuji, ride the Shinkansen (bullet train), go shopping in Ginza or Roponggi, visit the Tokyo Government Building with its free observation platform, and try some of the famous local cuisine, like Sushi and Ramen. There is also another theme park within daytrip distance from Tokyo, Fuji-Q Highland, which is a great park for thrillseekers.

I hope you have a great time, remember to post back here with your trip report! :thumbsup2

Hi! Thanks for input on the Hilton (unfortunately the Disney one's aren't in our price range). I was leaning towards that one and as long as we can get 4 girls in one room, then we'll give it a go. I will definitely contact the hotel to make sure we can all fit.

I am thinking that we might have to stay 3 days at Disney, although I'm the Disney freak of the group so not sure I can convince them.

I am definitely going to have to check out that hotel that you listed! It's a great price and I love that other rate it highly.

I'm not sure that we need a 5 star luxury hotel (though I would love it, just not sure it's in our price range) but I am writing those areas down to check out just in case

And I added all of the places you listed to our To Do list...I didn't have any of them written down. Than you so much!

I've stayed at both the Hilton and Sheraton- both were great and very convenient. I was always solo so I can't help on whether 4 people would work in a single room, sorry.

If you've never been there, I'd personally recommend 3 days in the parks if you can manage it- assuming you are a Disney parks freak. The way TDR multi-day passports work is that the first 2 days are set as TDL or TDS with no park hopping; the 3rd (and 4th) days allow for park hopping. Another difference is that all the days have to be consecutive- ie you can't get a 3 day passport and use it on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday- it must be Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. 3 days also allows for some margin of error if a parade or show is canceled due to weather (which has happened to me a lot)

I didn't notice that Fastpass worked any differently than the US parks. :confused3

For Tokyo hotels, what I did was to look at tripadvisor.com and then check rates on the properties that were interesting for me. For my upcoming trip, I lucked into a special for 50% off at a top rated hotel but that special is over. (I'm doing the same thing on my next trip- spend part of the trip at TDR and part in Tokyo)

If you have time, I'd strongly urge you to consider spending at least a couple days in Kyoto, which to me is more interesting for a first time visitor to Japan because there are a lot more historic sites and temples, whereas Tokyo is a lot like any big city.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for all of your advice. Glad to know that both the Sheraton and the Hilton are both great.

Thanks for the info about the park tickets. I'm hoping to convince the other girls to do 3 days. I like that the third day can be a park hopper just in case we don't finish either park on their day. We're only staying at the Disney are just for visiting the park, so the consecutive days thing will be okay.

I'll definitely check out tripadvisor for hotels. I'd been mainly using it for things to do, don't know why I didn't think to really use it for hotels!

Kyoto was on our list of things to do, but I didn't know much about it. Do you reccommend staying overnight there? (not even sure how far away from Tokyo it is!)

Thanks so much for all of your help.

As far as where to stay, look at vacation rentals. We've found them to be cheaper than hotels (though we are a group of 7), plus we get extra space, a kitchen, and a washing machine. VRBO.com and homeaway.com are good places to start.

I hadn't thought of that! We'll have to check into that since I know a washing machine would be really helpful!

Kyoto was on our list of things to do, but I didn't know much about it. Do you reccommend staying overnight there? (not even sure how far away from Tokyo it is!)

Kyoto is a little less than 3 hrs away by bullet train; I'd definitely recommend staying overnight because there's a lot to see. On my first trip to Japan, I felt a little overwhelmed by Tokyo but loved Kyoto- it's been ages since I was there but I still remember some of the temples because they were really special. If you can't find the time to visit Kyoto, at least take a day trip to Kamakura (about 1 hr away) so you can see something more than skyscrapers; I really think it would be a crime to take a first trip to Japan for 9 days and then spend it all in Tokyo.

If you're going with people who aren't all gung ho on Disney, maybe 2 days at TDR would be ok. (or maybe they will think that TDR is so awesome that you'll convert them!) But 3 would be more relaxing.

I am sure you will have an awesome time, whatever you decide!

(and I love answering your questions because I've been obsessing about my own upcoming trip and need to channel the energy somewhere :rotfl:)

~Has anyone stayed at the Hilton or the Sheraton near the park? This seems to be fitting into our price range but I want to make sure that we can fit 4 women into a room and that its nice and easy to get to the parks.
It is easy to get to the parks from both hotels via the Resort Monorail line. You can pay per ride or you can buy an all day or multiple day pass for the monorail. There is a station (Bayside Station) that is for the official hotels. The hotels run a shuttle from the lobby to Bayside Station but to be honest, the Hilton is walking distance from Bayside Station. I've only stayed at the Hilton, but I was really happy there. The staff is also very well versed in English.

~Besides Disney, what other things do you suggest that we do while in Tokyo?
I would also recommend going to the Imperial Palace & Gardens, Shibuya Crossing. If available catch a Kabuki performance (they sometimes have short programs with English translations). Tokyo Tower is also a great observation point. It looks just like the Eiffel Tower.

~Can you use American debit cards over there (like from Bank of America) or is it better to use a credit card like American Express or to bring travellers checks?
Depending on your bank, each credit card or debit card transaction will incur a fee. So be careful. I applied for a Capital One credit card before heading to Japan because they do not charge a fee for foreign transactions.

Have a great time!

I'll be visiting Japan for two weeks (and TDL and TDS for one day each) in mid-April. I'll post after my trip to let you (and everyone else) know about my experience!

:thumbsup2

Kyoto is a little less than 3 hrs away by bullet train; I'd definitely recommend staying overnight because there's a lot to see. On my first trip to Japan, I felt a little overwhelmed by Tokyo but loved Kyoto- it's been ages since I was there but I still remember some of the temples because they were really special. If you can't find the time to visit Kyoto, at least take a day trip to Kamakura (about 1 hr away) so you can see something more than skyscrapers; I really think it would be a crime to take a first trip to Japan for 9 days and then spend it all in Tokyo.

If you're going with people who aren't all gung ho on Disney, maybe 2 days at TDR would be ok. (or maybe they will think that TDR is so awesome that you'll convert them!) But 3 would be more relaxing.

I am sure you will have an awesome time, whatever you decide!

(and I love answering your questions because I've been obsessing about my own upcoming trip and need to channel the energy somewhere :rotfl:)

I didn't realize Kyoto was that far away. I'm pretty sure we definitely want to go there so we'll need to change our hotel plans...maybe go straight from the disney hotels, then the tokyo hotels. Do you think that would work? And I'm adding Kamakura to the list!

I talked to one of the other girls today and she's fine with 3 days at TDR so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help!

It is easy to get to the parks from both hotels via the Resort Monorail line. You can pay per ride or you can buy an all day or multiple day pass for the monorail. There is a station (Bayside Station) that is for the official hotels. The hotels run a shuttle from the lobby to Bayside Station but to be honest, the Hilton is walking distance from Bayside Station. I've only stayed at the Hilton, but I was really happy there. The staff is also very well versed in English.

I would also recommend going to the Imperial Palace & Gardens, Shibuya Crossing. If available catch a Kabuki performance (they sometimes have short programs with English translations). Tokyo Tower is also a great observation point. It looks just like the Eiffel Tower.

Depending on your bank, each credit card or debit card transaction will incur a fee. So be careful. I applied for a Capital One credit card before heading to Japan because they do not charge a fee for foreign transactions.

Have a great time!

Thanks for all of the info! I'm glad both hotels are close to the monorail line. That will make it much easier! I'm adding your places to the list (I had the Tokyo Tower, but not the other ones) so thank you!

I have Bank of America for a debit card and American Express for a credit card. I guess I should check with them first. I never thought about applying for a different credit card that doesn't charge a fee, but I might have to look into that!

I'll be visiting Japan for two weeks (and TDL and TDS for one day each) in mid-April. I'll post after my trip to let you (and everyone else) know about my experience!

:thumbsup2

Yes, please do!!! I can't wait to read about it!

When are you going? I'll also be in Tokyo in mid-April.

I didn't realize Kyoto was that far away. I'm pretty sure we definitely want to go there so we'll need to change our hotel plans...maybe go straight from the disney hotels, then the tokyo hotels. Do you think that would work? And I'm adding Kamakura to the list!

I talked to one of the other girls today and she's fine with 3 days at TDR so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help!

If you go to Kyoto, it's not really essential to go to Kamakura as well. There's much more to see in Kyoto but if someone is pressed for time on a trip to Tokyo, then I'd recommend Kamakura as a compromise to at least see something a bit more traditional looking.

In Kyoto, my favorites were the Golden Temple (Kinkaku-ji), Ryoanji temple with its rock garden, and the Temple of 1000 Buddhas (Sanjyusangen-do)

It would probably work to do Disney then Kyoto then Tokyo. You can get a train for Kyoto from the main Tokyo Station which is a direct trip on the subway from Tokyo Disney Resort. (about 15 minutes)

I'll be there from April 5th-19th. I'm travelling solo and staying in hostels, mostly.
I'll be in Tokyo from the 5th-11th (Fuji-Q highland on the 9th, TDL and TDS on the 10th and 11th), then it's on to Hakone, Takayama, Kyoto (3 nights), Mount Koya and Hiroshima.
I'm pretty excited!

:banana::banana::banana:

When will you be there?

I'll be there from April 5th-19th. I'm travelling solo and staying in hostels, mostly.
I'll be in Tokyo from the 5th-11th (Fuji-Q highland on the 9th, TDL and TDS on the 10th and 11th), then it's on to Hakone, Takayama, Kyoto (3 nights), Mount Koya and Hiroshima.
I'm pretty excited!

:banana::banana::banana:

When will you be there?

Aww, I'll be there toward the end of your trip but after you are done with Tokyo.

I'm also doing the solo thing- but not the hostel thing cause I've been there, done that and now I'm a spoiled princess. :rotfl: I haven't been to Hakone or Mount Koya but I've been to all the other places you're going.

I've been to Japan 3 times before but I'm still really excited! 2012 has sucked for me so far, so taking this trip is my way of trying to change my luck. :)

When are you going? I'll also be in Tokyo in mid-April.

If you go to Kyoto, it's not really essential to go to Kamakura as well. There's much more to see in Kyoto but if someone is pressed for time on a trip to Tokyo, then I'd recommend Kamakura as a compromise to at least see something a bit more traditional looking.

In Kyoto, my favorites were the Golden Temple (Kinkaku-ji), Ryoanji temple with its rock garden, and the Temple of 1000 Buddhas (Sanjyusangen-do)

It would probably work to do Disney then Kyoto then Tokyo. You can get a train for Kyoto from the main Tokyo Station which is a direct trip on the subway from Tokyo Disney Resort. (about 15 minutes)

We're debating on doing Kyoto now...if we left Disney early on Wed morning, took the train to Kyoto, stayed over night, took the train to Tokyo early on Thursday, that would leave us, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sunday...would that be enough time in Tokyo?

We're debating on doing Kyoto now...if we left Disney early on Wed morning, took the train to Kyoto, stayed over night, took the train to Tokyo early on Thursday, that would leave us, Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sunday...would that be enough time in Tokyo?

I really can't tell you what to do, but most general 1st time suggested itineraries for Japan include at least as much time in Kyoto as Tokyo. (here's one)

You really need to think about what you want. Which is more important- seeing historic or architecturally unique things that make Japan unique, things that you can't see in the US- or having a good time in a major city that is definitely different from the US but not so much the picture postcard that you may think about Japan? Also, how much do you want to do each day?

Take a look at what you'd want to see in Tokyo (and maybe some sample itineraries) and see how much time you could budget for fitting that in. Also look at what you could see in Kyoto and see whether that interests you. With the internet, it's really easy to find information and photos etc. (I didn't have internet for my first trip so I only had a guidebook to help)

Personally, if I had 6 days for a first trip to Japan, I'd only spend 3 at most in Tokyo; I'd want to give at least 2 full days to Kyoto/Nara. You may not see everything in Tokyo (you may not see everything even if you stayed 6 days...), but what you'd see in Kyoto is more interesting than what you'd miss. In my opinion. :) Everyone is different, though and you will have an AWESOME time whatever you decide! :)

I really can't tell you what to do, but most general 1st time suggested itineraries for Japan include at least as much time in Kyoto as Tokyo. (here's one)

You really need to think about what you want. Which is more important- seeing historic or architecturally unique things that make Japan unique, things that you can't see in the US- or having a good time in a major city that is definitely different from the US but not so much the picture postcard that you may think about Japan? Also, how much do you want to do each day?

Take a look at what you'd want to see in Tokyo (and maybe some sample itineraries) and see how much time you could budget for fitting that in. Also look at what you could see in Kyoto and see whether that interests you. With the internet, it's really easy to find information and photos etc. (I didn't have internet for my first trip so I only had a guidebook to help)

Personally, if I had 6 days for a first trip to Japan, I'd only spend 3 at most in Tokyo; I'd want to give at least 2 full days to Kyoto/Nara. You may not see everything in Tokyo (you may not see everything even if you stayed 6 days...), but what you'd see in Kyoto is more interesting than what you'd miss. In my opinion. :) Everyone is different, though and you will have an AWESOME time whatever you decide! :)

Thanks for the advice! I am definitely going to mention this to the other girls!

We're booked into the Sheraton for 3 nights in October. I hope that you will report back here with a TR when you return from your vacation!! Looking forward to hearing your opinions on the hotel. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter