• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning schedule with preschoolers

TotallyOverwhelmed

Earning My Ears
We can make ADR for our Feb trip this weekend. I know where we want to try for, but am totally at a loss as to what time of day to make the different meal reservations. As context, we are staying on site, not doing Magic Hours any days, will have a 2 year old and 4 year old at the time, will have grandparents with us some of the time, and have built in some off days to take it easy (and are not trying to do too much any day!). The kids are typically up really early (5:30-6:15) and often earlier when on vacation (although might sleep later if they are tired enough). They typically go to bed around 7, but can stay up later at times, especially if they have good naps. 2 year old takes a solid 2-3 hour nap each day. 4 year old doesn't nap at home, but will nap on vacation (and then stay up later than 7). They normally have breakfast around 7, lunch around 11:30 and dinner around 5. I plan to have plenty of snacks and easy to eat breakfast foods in the room and with us in case a certain ADR doesn't line up with when they are hungry that day. We plan a mix of days starting early and later, days doing dinner at the hotel and early bed and days staying at the park for dinner and a few evening things, and days of naps in the stroller on the go (both will nap in the stroller) and days of back to the resort in the afternoon to nap. Given all of that, what times should we aim for with ADRs? I'm thinking we should try to eat at off times to have a better chance of getting reservations and because feeding the kids earlier will probably be better. Here is our schedule and plan for ADR:

Day 1-- Arrive in Orlando and go to HS around lunch, nap in stroller, with a dinner ADR.
Day 2-- MK. Maybe try for rope drop, afternoon nap at hotel, and dinner ADR (only day we can try to stay for evening parade).
Day 3-- AK. Try for breakfast ADR. Stay through early afternoon. Nap at hotel, dinner in Downtown Disney with ADR.
Day 4-- Take morning off. Head to Epcot around lunch. Nap in stroller and a dinner ADR.
Day 5-- MK. Breakfast ADR. Nap at hotel, Dinner ADR back at MK.
Day 6-- Last day. Probably go back to MK, so make early lunch ADR before leaving for airport around 2. Hope kids nap on bus to airport or are tired when getting on plane to fall asleep.

Any thoughts? Although I've been to Disney as a kid, this is my first trip with my own kids!

With kids that get up early...I would diffidently at least do AM EMH at MK. It is THE best time to do fantasy land. If your kids get up really early and you don't do EMH, you are wasting park time when they are at their best. I would also at least be at rope drop at Epcot and them take your break in the afternoon rather than the am. Arriving in the afternoon at any park is going to put you in the largest crowds. Not good with littles. Think about your day as you make your PF+ too. Remember after they are used, you can get more now, but you have to use those so be sure you consider naps when you make them. I would try for ADRs as close to normal meal times as you can.

With kids that get up early...I would diffidently at least do AM EMH at MK. It is THE best time to do fantasy land. If your kids get up really early and you don't do EMH, you are wasting park time when they are at their best. I would also at least be at rope drop at Epcot and them take your break in the afternoon rather than the am. Arriving in the afternoon at any park is going to put you in the largest crowds. Not good with littles. Think about your day as you make your PF+ too. Remember after they are used, you can get more now, but you have to use those so be sure you consider naps when you make them. I would try for ADRs as close to normal meal times as you can.

Totally agree.

We rope drop (might as well.....the kids are up!) then power through as much as we can, eat lunch at the park, leave in the early afternoon, nap, etc and head back to the park for dinner and more rides.

I agree. If you're kids are up anyway, take advantage of that extra hour in the parks. You can get so much done during EMH!

Other than that, try to plan meal times close to your kids' regular meal times. Same with naps if possible. Nothing says "meltdown" like tired and/or hungry kids.

We have been to Disney alone, preggo and with littles ages nb and up... We are heading to the world again with our foster daughters coming along this time in 31 days! We will have 1,2,3,4 and 6 years old. Thats not a typo. LOL! I say your schedule looks great. Try and take your time at the hotel during naps and enjoy every aspect of your day. For me, I used to feel like I was missing out on the park during naps, but really Disney has so much to offer anywhere you are. I personally wouldn't do EMA because it makes for sure a long day if you are hoping to be back to the parks after naps to make a dinner ADR or fireworks exc. Everyone is different. Im sure your going to have an amazing trip. Just go with the flow and follow your little ones lead. Everyone will have a much better trip. (assuming your staying at a Disney resort) If you miss an ADR, try and just enjoy the hotels dining that day. We have tried some great hotel restaurants and many are wonderful. Pixie dust for you Mama! :hug:

also.. The fast pass+ system is ideal for us, because we don't have to get to the parks right when it opens everyday in order to get a FP and get on the popular rides (especially in fantasy land for littles) As well as EPCOT for (Finding Nemo and Turtle talk with Crush)...Hopefully that will help you too!

This is similar to our typical pattern (we've been most years since our eldest was 13 months, and she's now 7).

The only thing we've found tricky in the past is allowing enough time to nap and have a swim. Often we would successfully make it back for naps, but run out of time to swim before having to think about getting ready for a dinner ADR. And sometimes if we spent longer in the parks during the day, even getting back to the resort to rest, change and go back out again was a challenge!
On our last trip, and for our upcoming one, we try hard not to over schedule ourselves and don't plan on a table service dinner every night. Instead we might have a character breakfast and give ourselves a free afternoon/evening where we can eat and go back into the parks without any time constraints.

Hope this helps :)

Totally agree.

We rope drop (might as well.....the kids are up!) then power through as much as we can, eat lunch at the park, leave in the early afternoon, nap, etc and head back to the park for dinner and more rides.

I agree with this as well. We are here right now with 8, 5, and 2 year-olds. Almost every day, one of us leaves the park after lunch with the 5 & 2. 5 rests while 2 naps. Then, back to the park for dinner and more touring with the whole family.

If you are using Disney transportation, plan for a 4 hour break if you need a 2 hour nap, and a 5 hour break if you need a 3 hour nap. So, if I leave my husband and oldest at the park at 1:00, we make plans to reunite around 5:00, which gives my little one a two hour nap.

I would stick to your regular meal times. I think those ARE off-hours for most people. I've noticed that when we arrive at a quick service lunch before noon, there are plenty of empty tables, and by the time we leave around 12:30, the restaurant is packed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter