Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

Poster WDW1974 over at wdwmagic, considered among the most accurate insiders out there with a great track record, posted an update on DVC.

He said that DVC is in fact coming to the Caribbean Beach property, but it will be a separate resort.

He also said there are plans right now for DVC at the Contemporary, Coronado Springs and adjacent to Epcot, with Disney continuing to "turn WDW into The Timeshare Kingdom of the World."

The Coronado part seems out of place, though I guess not all that dissimilar to a CB Tower...I wonder if this lends credence to the idea of the "moderate" DVC. I still think if they ever did something like this, they would want to make it difficult to exchange between the two groups.

Doesn't look like a boat, as the water ways are being moved in such a way in the permits that would preclude water transport. It looks like elevated transport of some type, if it's transport.

The Coronado part seems out of place, though I guess not all that dissimilar to a CB Tower...I wonder if this lends credence to the idea of the "moderate" DVC. I still think if they ever did something like this, they would want to make it difficult to exchange between the two groups.

The fact that he specifically mentioned that it will be a separate resort makes me think it won't be a moderate. I wonder if it will even carry a Caribbean/tropical theme?

Coronado threw me off as well, but as you said it isn't dissimilar from the situation at CBR. Either they could build a new section of Coronado with deluxe accommodations and its own deluxe pool, or they could just use a portion of the land to create a separate resort altogether.

The fact that he specifically mentioned that it will be a separate resort makes me think it won't be a moderate. I wonder if it will even carry a Caribbean/tropical theme?

Coronado threw me off as well, but as you said it isn't dissimilar from the situation at CBR. Either they could build a new section of Coronado with deluxe accommodations and its own deluxe pool, or they could just use a portion of the land to create a separate resort altogether.
Permits were filed a while ago for moving retention ponds at Coronado.

This get's even more interesting when you consider the shape of this building proposed for CBR..

upload_2017-2-14_12-25-5.png

and this one just south of the Boardwalk parking lot..

upload_2017-2-14_12-26-6.png

Connect the dots...

upload_2017-2-13_18-1-3.png

I am fully aware that I might be reading to much into this and seeing what I want to see, but it's is interesting.

Thinking about this again....My logic might be all wrong when it comes to the deluxe possibility.

I'm comparing Bay Lake/Poly/Boardwalk/Beach Club to what I imagine they could try and do here. In my mind they come up short no matter what they do, Add character breakfast, Stormalong 2, Nice Rooms, Valet, etc.... However, if its the only available DVC to buy into, what choice then does the consumer have besides resale? It might not matter if it doesn't really stack up in terms of deluxe as compared to those other ones. Those will be sold out, and if someone wants a new DVC contract, then they will convince themselves that the CBR tower is up to standard. Will never make it so, but perhaps this is what they are thinking.

That being said, direct bus transport will be the new hot ticket. I believe I remember reading that their dispatching system is getting updated. I hopeful that some number cruncher has done the math, and they are starting to realize that people stuck waiting for transport, can't be in the park spending money. They fact that you can get food at some bus stops now, indicates to me that they are starting to think that way.
I would not be surprised if there becomes an option to use the park hopper express transport stations, where you get security screened at your resort before boarding. If you had the option to be screened at your bus stop at a deluxe and enter the side entrances that the express transport offers, would you see that as a perk? I certainly would. I could see that as a pilot program at CBR with only service to DHS and epcot. The epcot express transport entrance is on the CBR side of the park I believe(buena vista, to backstage rd, to overpass road into the test track area

Yes please! Sign me up too. I understand the necessity of the security checks but no matter how cheerful and open minded I tried to be it seemed like I'd end up irritated and grumpy at the start of everyday due to how disorganized their process was. I'd wait in a line at the back entrance of Epcot to get to the front of the line only to be sent to the back of another longer line so they could get a stroller through. I noticed it happening to other parties other days. Would a sign be so difficult to put up? One day my husband had kiddo and they make him leave her on the side while he went through. I went and got her when I was done and the security guard didn't even notice and yells to my husband "wait, your stroller" ummm...you mean the one you are lucky some random stranger didn't kidnap! Every park it was a different system when you had a stroller and it certainly wasn't safe how many times they MADE us leave a child "unattended" I was livid.

Anyhow....sorry for ranting, back on topic

The thing that is interesting to me, is if it's a ski lift/gondola type of conveyance, it really is a challenge to make that work with ADA. A ski tram, can accommodate wheel chairs etc, but wouldn't have the capacity. Gondolas, could be made to work no doubt, but it would be very slow loading.
The "corner" in the boardwalk parking lot is curious to me, doesn't make a lot of sense. You could straight shot to the station at DHS. Doing a large V. Assuming a similar "corner" near the CBR tower, would indicate it is a loading station as well. That makes a loading station in the boardwalk parking lot a bit of a head scratcher.

I'm not convinced that if it is a new transportation option, that it is necessarily all one line, nor even they same type of transport through the whole thing.

This get's even more interesting when you consider the shape of this building proposed for CBR..

View attachment 220142

and this one just south of the Boardwalk parking lot..

View attachment 220143

Connect the dots...

View attachment 220144

I am fully aware that I might be reading to much into this and seeing what I want to see, but it's is interesting.

Holy Shnikee! I may be crazy, but being a ski expert (as my name clearly indicates that I am) those DO look an awful lot like router buildings for a detachable gondola/chair/skyway lift system. One large building (lower right) for maintenance and storage and the outer buildings to route the cars. Detachable so they can be taken out of service in bad weather, and also so it could be very fast.

A quick search on gondola costs say it would only run about $10 million - with the multiple stations, say at worst double that to $20 million. Much, much less than the $50 to $90 million we were tossing around earlier.

Three major problems with the idea.
1) Sight lines/ Disruption of theme: Though they could probably run it with a reasonably low profile, it would still need to go over roadways and such, and run probably between 20 and 30 feet in the air. This isn't really a problem for the DHS to CBR leg, but it IS a problem for the section flying over CBR espeically (not many chair lifts in the carribean) and to a lesser extent the one entering the international gateway.

2) Maintenance/Staffing: I had talked a few pages back about staffing a walk-in entrance to Epcot. The problem with this is you would have to staff FOUR Gondola stations. That means you need at least 2-3 attendants at each station at all times while operating. You also need a maintenance staff to maintain the equipment.

3) Lightning Storms: Sure Disney World had a skyway for 25 years, but would have to take into account the weather. It would be pretty quick to empty it, but you can bet that that there would be many times during summer storm season when this would be shut down mid-afternoon, forcing people to take alternative routes.

length on chair by my estimation if a lift.
dhs to cbr south. .74 miles, 3.7 minutes
cbr south to CBR north, .41 miles/2.05 minutes
Cbr north to boardwalk lot, .64 miles/3.2 minutes
boardwalk lot to international gateway .46 miles/2.3 minutes.
So about 11 minute ride time total.
Thats a rough guess based on the most recent lift built at my former resort.

Holy Shnikee! I may be crazy, but being a ski expert (as my name clearly indicates that I am) those DO look an awful lot like router buildings for a detachable gondola/chair/skyway lift system. One large building (lower right) for maintenance and storage and the outer buildings to route the cars. Detachable so they can be taken out of service in bad weather, and also so it could be very fast.

A quick search on gondola costs say it would only run about $10 million - with the multiple stations, say at worst double that to $20 million. Much, much less than the $50 to $90 million we were tossing around earlier.

1) Sight lines/ Disruption of theme: Though they could probably run it with a reasonably low profile, it would still need to go over roadways and such, and run probably between 20 and 30 feet in the air. This isn't really a problem for the DHS to CBR leg, but it IS a problem for the section flying over CBR espeically (not many chair lifts in the carribean) and to a lesser extent the one entering the international gateway.

2) Maintenance/Staffing: I had talked a few pages back about staffing a walk-in entrance to Epcot. The problem with this is you would have to staff FOUR Gondola stations. That means you need at least 2-3 attendants at each station at all times while operating. You also need a maintenance staff to maintain the equipment.

3) Lightning Storms: Sure Disney World had a skyway for 25 years, but would have to take into account the weather. It would be pretty quick to empty it, but you can bet that that there would be many times during summer storm season when this would be shut down mid-afternoon, forcing people to take alternative routes.
So Gondola seems to be the current rumor based on what we have seen. Theming this would be weird. I don't think staffing would be much different than having people at monorail stations. Lightning is an interesting issue as well.

Don't forget wind. Wind can cause the lift to run at reduced speed or close all together. Lightning is the big issue though.

The staffing would not be crazy in terms of comparison to any other new type of transportation option.

Much rather it be more of a people mover than gondola. The latest pictures Dan posted just make too much sense for this to be something other than a new transportation option. But what do I know

Would the parking lot trams work on this route?

Would that be cheaper than building a gondola/lift?

Can the gondola go under water?

While a parking lot tram would work, I don't see that necessitating the construction of a building near the waters edge at DHS.

What is tough for me to reconcile is that roundabout route.
Why go International gate way to boardwalk lot to CBR to cbr then DHS.
Wouldn't you want to go IG to Boardwalk lot to DHS to CBR?
Makes it impossibly long to go from DHS to IG, but maybe they figure the boats already do that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter