Plates, silverware and pots in pans in villas under new guidelines.

Does no self food service mean.
you can't buy food items for villas at resort?
Self food service would be a buffet or salad bar or even just a cookie tray if the guest is themselves taking the food off of the serving tray. Packaged food would not qualify. Soda and coffee stations probably would.

I have always handwashed the dishes we need right away, then put all the rest, including any utensils trays in the dishwasher and run a load. While they're in there, I use a disinfectant wipe to wipe down the shelves and door pulls. Sometimes it takes two loads. Call me paranoid, but in our many trips, we've never gotten sick. So COVID-19 wouldn't change it for us.

I'm the furthest thing from a germophobe but I always throw the glasses, coffee mugs, plates, and silverware that I think we'll use right in the dishwasher when we arrive. We don't usually do big meals in the villas so I don't do the pots/pans. My family always thinks I'm nuts, but it takes 3 minutes. I just don't trust that those things are clean. Once clean I usually just leave everything on a towel on the counter.

I hope everyone here is well. We live in Ontario, not far from Niagara Falls. The same mandate was put in place here as well. I am the same as many posts here. Any hotel or resort we have stayed at we always wipe everything down, run the dishwasher and clean the bathrooms and wipe the switches. Maybe over doing it but I work in a school and there are germs everywhere! (I really do love my job ).

Doubt DVC falls in to hotel but they might do it anyways.

Free pots and pans set with each reservation lol.

There would have to be a work around to it. I am in the same mind that everything else that can't be put in the dishwasher is of bigger concern.

Doubt DVC falls in to hotel but they might do it anyways.

Free pots and pans set with each reservation lol.

There would have to be a work around to it. I am in the same mind that everything else that can't be put in the dishwasher is of bigger concern.

This.

I can wash plates, silverware etc that we need and know they are ok even better than the disposable. The rest of the items in the room can't be cleaned as easily. It's not logical and gives a false sense of security. Places like hotel rooms that don't have in room dishwashers are different of course.

I am curious, for all the "other surfaces" that aren't easily disinfected...walls, cabinet doors, shower curtain, etc...

If Disney could invest in some sort of high-powered UV light...drop it in the bathroom and turn it on while cleaning the main part of the room...then when you've done the main part of the room, move it out to the main area of the room, and turn it on while cleaning the bathroom.

5 minutes of high-powered UV light is about all it takes to kill COVID and one that is bright enough in the middle of the room should be able to reach most surfaces, even if some of it has to reflect off the walls and other objects.

At that point, a surface disinfectant for the high-touch areas (door knobs, faucets, light switches, phones, remote control, thermostat, etc.) to be extra sure for those, and you've probably got about 98% of surfaces in the room.

Another possibility would be "mist" disinfectants. They are using these at car washes in my area. There is a machine that turns disinfectant in to a fine mist. They ask that you turn your AC on full blast with the air on recirculate and step away from the car. They then blast this mist inside that gets propelled around by your HVAC and let it circulate for a couple of minutes. The mist gets itself on to all your surfaces, inside all the nooks and crannies, etc. Then they go at the high-touch areas with a surface disinfectant (screen, wheel, door handles, etc.) I could imagine something like this, just on a much larger scale. Get a large fan that moves a lot of air around the room, and essentially a "bug bomb" of sorts, except filled with Lysol instead of insecticide...lol That too would also get pretty much all surfaces in a room

Pillows! What about the pillows you lay your head on at night? Last year for the first time I brought my own pillows after reading something on these boards. After this whole CV-19 thing I think everyone should bring their own pillows.

My family and i have been dvc members since 2005 and we were suppose to come in april of this year. Now hear all these new guidelines has my family worried . as dvc members we pay a lot to stay where we are and to tell us that all these stuff may be taken away. When we first starting coming before we became dvc members my mom packed a coffee pot looks like she will have to do that next trip. Let's guess what they they take away from us next i betting the washer and dryer any takers...

All these posts and not one person has yet to ask the obvious question. Why? Who in a dark hot place thought this was necessary and why? There's a lot going on that's absolutely stupid, but this has gotta climb into the top 10 in a hurry.

There is not one shred of evidence to support this mandate. If touching things matters that much by staff, then you may as well not open up at all. Or pick up a phone in a room. Or turn on a faucet.

Last edited:
All these posts and not one person has yet to ask the obvious question. Why? Who in a dark hot place thought this was necessary and why? There's a lot going on that's absolutely stupid, but this has gotta climb into the top 10 in a hurry.

There is not one shred of evidence to support this mandate. If touching things matters that much by staff, then you may as well not open up at all. Or pick up a phone in a room. Or tun on a faucet.

Really? I didn't ask that? Perhaps not as simply but questioning the choice of those items was actually asking that question.

We are creating pollution and using so much antibacterial stuff (before this virus, we were told not to use so much antibacterial stuff for fear of getting a super-germ).

Pretty sure we’ve been told repeatedly that washing our hands and cleaning our houses is the thing to do. People jump to hand sanitizers and bleach because they are fast, but *cleaning* works.

I have used sanitizer about 5 times in54 days, and those were perfunctory uses to make others feel better. My hand washing game is good (after my son and I got noro twice (while at home, not on trips or cruises) in a couple years).

I‘m not interested in a bunch of super bugs. Something that kills 99% of germs leaves that 1% of the biggest baddest that can survive...

Coffee makers? Those things that heat to boiling AKA a temperature that destroys every virus ever discovered?

Ok Florida.

Thanks-I've gotta admit that I don't "get" the reason to remove coffee makers either.
Also, I thought we had the argument about cups, plates, etc. already when DVC tried to say that the reason they went to disposables (was it just in studios?) was that they couldn't guarantee that these things would be sanitized between guests. But then they were being sanitized. Do I remember wrong? Or did something change? Anyways, the removal of the coffee makers makes no sense to me-just tell me to bring my own cup.

I am speculating that they may remove the items from the room, and provide them upon request. Upon check out, they are removed from the room to be cleaned/sanitized/etc.

I bet they put a stock a paper/plastic utensils, plates, bowls, cups, etc. in the villas. Then pots/pans/bakeware/etc will be provided upon request.
i see this as a likely choice to. it still provides to the guest and can be sanitized once removed. but limits the amount of items that will be touched in the villas

I think you may be right, it sounds logical, check out system. I was wondering after looking at list, refillable mugs. Anything self serve is to be gone? That will be a bummer, saves a lot of money on beverages.

I am not sure I understand the concern about all of these household items - coffee makers, pots, pans, etc. - being of more concern and needing to be removed more than light switches, the refrigerator, the toilet,etc. Whenever we have gone into a hotel, we always wipe off items and wash dishes before using (or we don't). Why would they remove these things now? We are still sitting on the sofas, opening the doors, sleeping on the beds... I just don't understand the concern with the coffee maker and kitchen stuff.
We always put dishes in the dishwasher in 1 and 2 bedrooms, as soon as we hit the door. This way we know they have been washed. The coffee pot deal, not sure about this one either. If they take them away, we will purchase a Black and Decker like we currently own, and keep in Owners Locker. Its not glass so no worry, but a morning without coffee on the balcony in WDW isn't a good morning at all for us. And the thoughts of the furniture, beds and such, yes, how will they sanitize those. So much has to happen before they can truly make these places as Covid-19 free as possible. And housekeeping, being under stress to turn rooms around, how truly germ free can and will they make it. Lots of questions.

I guess we will all have to be packing our own Lysol wipes to wipe down as many surfaces as we feel is necessary for our own personal health and wash in dishwasher all the dishes, flatware and cookware we need during our stay. I guess this is a time for each of us to take control of the cleanliness of our surroundings as we each feel is needed for our own personal safety. Some may be ok with the normal cleaning done by housekeeping others clearly are not so to each his own.

As far as the upholstered furniture; not sure what you can do about that. The bed, again not much you can do there except bring your own pillows.

Good luck everyone, stay safe and stay healthy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter