Playing the game by the rules

I have to add to this rant... the ONLY thing that irritated me on our cruise was when we docked in St. Thomas, and some passengers apparently thought they didn't need to take the whole family with them to immigration. It's made very clear that one member of the family can't clear immigration for the entire family, and that they have to go through at a certain time. There were at least three different people who tried to do this, with the excuse that their kids just weren't morning kids, or they couldn't budge their wife, etc. Then they argued with the staff when they were told they had to get the rest of their family. We weren't excited to get up at 6:00 a.m. but we knew that was the requirement, so we were there. Then we got back to our room and tried to go back to sleep, we had to listen to announcements for the people who decided they were above it all and could sleep in.

Other than that, everything was PERFECT!!!

Originally posted by shmoogrrrl
Did you mean that Pun? :) (the whole safety regulations and getting burned up thing?)

Little bit, yeah ;)

For the most part I agree, so no flames. I would respectfully disagree that asking for a change in dining rotation is asking to or wanting to "break the rules", though.

I have a complicated opinion on this.

For some things, such as bringing home appliances, YOU'RE ON VACATION! Life is just a bit too short to be worrying about that wrinkle that noone else will notice. You're paying a huge sum of money to go on the cruise, enjoy it, don't bring all the tedious housekeeping habits from home with you.

The only comment I have to add about the dressing bad for dining, some people need to learn some self-respect! I would be thoroughly embarassed to dine in any of the restaurants in less than a polo and slacks. And definitely rise to the occasion and dress very nice on the formal nights. There is no excuse for just being plain lazy.

And my thought of kids messing with the elevators isn't gee isn't that cute, but more along the lines of where are these kids parents? I personally use the stairs as much as possible shipboard for fitness, but it's inconsiderate towards the people who may not be in good enough health and have no choice but to use the elevators.

A lot of it falls to people not having good solid self-respect and self-discipline. And I feel sorry for those people, that they go through life like that.

What bothers me being the mother of 2 young sons is the number of children allowed to roam the boat alone. I guess people have a false sense of secruity since the ship is contained or maybe I am paranoid :(

I saw groups of children all over the ship at all times with out adult supervision and most of the time the groups ranged with 6 years old keeping up with much, much young toddlers and preschoolers :rolleyes:

Flame me if you must but I would not have the peace of mind to let my children roam the ship for fear of falling over board, getting lost, being hurt, breaking the rules or God forbid running into a Chester the Molester.:mad:

Just my thoughts!

B & W's Mom!
I don't think kids much under 10 should be by themselves on the ship. I know that once you are over 10 I think you can sign yourself out of the clubs. My DS will be 11 on our next cruise so he will be able to sign himself out, but we plan on knowing where he is when he does. Call me over protective, but as you said you just never know what kind of individual may be sailing that would do something terrible to your child....... I also don't want him doing something that would annoy another passenger.

I'm with you Fay Ray-you never know what type of individual a child could run into on the way to their room or wherever. Thats why my daughter is with us, my son, or a counselor and we pick her up. Call me paranoid also, but I don't mind she's always safe.

Mark, the interesting thing about the time we saw the kids playing with the elevator buttons was that the parents were standing right there! I think they were planning to go into Beach Blanket but for some reason were standing around...asking about the drinks for sale in front of the restaurant or something. I'm sure they saw what the kids were doing, but they didn't care.
It amazes me how people take chances with their children. In that case, the kids weren't in an danger, but at the airport I saw some parents that would be a child abductor's dream. They had a little girl who was playing with two other little girls whose parents were seated nearby. The mom of the two was keeping a close watch, but the other parents were oblivious. Finally, the "watching mom" went to take her little girls to the restroom, and the other little girl just went following along. Her parents didn't even notice. I only figured out what was going on because the other mom brought her back and said, "We're going for a walk now. You need to stay with your own mom and dad." Very scary!!
Reminds me of another nominee for Mom of the Year that I saw once at Six Flags. We were waiting at the guest services line, which is inside a building. A woman a couple of people in front of us had a little boy. He was jumpy and fidgety, but not any more than you would expect from a kid of that age being forced to stand in line when he wanted to be out at the rides. Finally the mother said, "I'm sick of you! Get outside where I don't have to look at you!" This kid was maybe all of seven years old and she sent him out by himself. I never forgot that...I wanted to slap her, but I didn't feel like getting hauled off by security.I'll get off my soapbox now, but it really bugs me to see the things that some parents do. It reminds me of when I was doing my internship and counseling kids and teens. Half the time, they had more sense than the adults.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Last cruise parents had their kids "playing trucks" at the adult pool because it was "too crowded" at the Goofy pool. :mad: One out of six CMs said something to them, but they still ignored the rules. It is not right. We love anything Disney and really love the idea of adult areas on their ships. If they did not have the adult areas we would not cruise on Disney.:(

On our 3/15 cruise I saw a cast member tell a family with children to leave the adult pool and the cast member didn't leave their side until the family left! I also saw cast members telling teens (under 18) that they could not enter the adult bar Rockin' Bar D. I was pleased to see they still were enforcing the rules. One thing nice about Disney is that they do have the adult only areas. Kathy

Originally posted by WDWLVR
... The kids had video games at the table with them. One had a portable DVD player at the table with them...

Ooops, I do let my kids bring their Game Boys to dinners out, both on the cruise and in restaurants. It makes them much better behaved when they are on their short-tired-out-fuses. Not making excuses for the family cited here, but the Game Boys do make my guys much better behaved. They have to keep the volume off, and the games are gone once the food arrives, and they must respond to the servers themselves politely. We did have a table to ourselves so I figure we were not bothering anyone, or at least bothering everyone less than if they DID NOT have the diversion. Now come the flames.

Carla

Originally posted by pouncingpluto
It does really bug me when parents say they want to bring their kid to one of the adult-only areas, though. The whole reason that there are adult-only areas is that many adults feel the need to be in the company of ONLY adults sometimes. Even if the parent doesn't feel that need, he/she should realize that the vast majority of people who are in the adult only area do feel that way. If they didn't, they'd be out in the main areas.

I agree completely! I LOVE kids and part of the fun of DCL is seeing the kids having fun. BUT, we are a childless couple, too, and adult-only areas are called such for a reason.

Rules are there for a reason and if everyone broke them, it would be a huge mess. As adults, we find out that we don't always like every rule made, but you have to respect those rules and follow them anyway. We need to be good examples.

Originally posted by abitjaded
Ooops, I do let my kids bring their Game Boys to dinners out, both on the cruise and in restaurants. It makes them much better behaved when they are on their short-tired-out-fuses. Not making excuses for the family cited here, but the Game Boys do make my guys much better behaved. They have to keep the volume off, and the games are gone once the food arrives, and they must respond to the servers themselves politely. We did have a table to ourselves so I figure we were not bothering anyone, or at least bothering everyone less than if they DID NOT have the diversion. Now come the flames.

Carla

I don't actually see a problem with the video game thing because Dinner can be pretty long and I'd imagine tough for kiddies to sit through night after night. (Mine is so little that she actually does well sitting there for now but as she gets more active, I am sure that will change!) I say go for it with the Gameboys and such as long as the sound isn't really loud and, as you said, they respond to the servers when necessary! No flames here!

Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter