Please bring back the old WDW, boo to Fastpass+

z4tenor

Earning My Ears
For anyone who hasn't been to WDW in the last couple of years - be aware! The changes made to FastPass, transportation issues, Park Hopper, etc are enough that I may not be back for a while.

FastPass+ is a huge disappointment! Yes, it's great to make reservations 60 days in advance BUT please know that once you use those three FP for the day you will have very, very limited choices to choose from IF you can find one of those kiosks to add more. Example: EPCOT tiering system requires you to choose between Test Track and Soarin'. Understandable, but at 11:00 a.m. when we finally found the unmarked, hidden and extremely difficult to locate kiosk we had our choice of Figment, Turtle Talk, Spaceship Earth and NEMO several hours later. We stayed for 9 days and were disappointed every single day in every park. Same thing happened at DHS. We couldn't even ride the Movie Ride - 2 hour wait, no FP choice so after Rockin Roller Coaster, we left to return that evening to ride TOT during Fantasmic when the lines were shorter.

In years past, we could open a park and go to pick up paper tickets, ride, go get another one, ride, etc. We spent lots of money and time this trip just walking around fighting horrible crowds only to return to the resort frustrated early afternoon. This new FastPass system in a joke!

We finally thought we would just stay at EPCOT for Extra Magic Hours to be able to ride Test Track. After taking a DVC tour, we were given three VIP FastPasses and had saved them to use after Illuminations. Headed to FutureWorld, approached the FP line and were told that during EM Hours, the FP lines are closed! What? Defeated again! Why would I have VIP FastPasses that couldn't be used during EM? We chose not to wait in the 80 minute queue - that would put us in the park 30 minutes after closing anyway. I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind that decision - no FP during EM?

Don't waste money on a Park Hopper ticket, either because you can only use FP choices in one park per day - unless you want to choose some lame choice that might be available AFTER you get to the other park and finally locate the disguised and hidden kiosks. Can't make 2nd park choices on the app - only in person.

All week long, /we saw people jumping family members through the lines to use some kind of unlimited use paper FP card. Don't know what that's about either but Disney made me feel unwelcomed and taken advantage of this trip.

I'm sorry you don't like the new system. But I strongly advice anyone to try it before deciding they don't like it, and not make a judgement before taking their own trip.

I really like the new system! No having to get to a park right at rope drop and fight the crowds heading to Toy Story Mania or Soarin. You can sleep in knowing you have a fast pass! No running back and forth all over the parks hoping that when you get to a ride the FP time will fit in with the rest of your plans.

I also am confused by your statement about your Park Hoppers. They still function as they always have.

I love FP+. I always seem to be in the minority. Maybe it's because I'm young, and I adjusted quickly. I know it's a big change to some. And switching up routines is the worst :(

Never in my life have I been able to get 3 FP's for headliners all at convinent times before FP+. I got things to do at rope drop, and it doesn't include running to rides to get paper FP's. I remember with TSMM, 10 minutes into park opening, the return time would already be at 8:00pm.

I think it's all just a matter of personal preference. And I think everyone is entitled to their own FP opinions, and both sides have justified reasons. Unfortunately, debates sometimes get really heated over it :(

You can always go to DLR. I believe they still use the old system

I'm sorry you don't like the new system. But I strongly advice anyone to try it before deciding they don't like it, and not make a judgement before taking their own trip.

I really like the new system! No having to get to a park right at rope drop and fight the crowds heading to Toy Story Mania or Soarin. You can sleep in knowing you have a fast pass! No running back and forth all over the parks hoping that when you get to a ride the FP time will fit in with the rest of your plans.

I also am confused by your statement about your Park Hoppers. They still function as they always have.

We just didn't see any need to visit any other parks knowing we couldn't have a chance at anything other than standby

I assumed I should do our FP in the morning. In hindsight we will do evening next time so we can sleep in. Made our FP for mornings assuming that was smart and could get others but changed that about halfway brought our trip. We don't have young kiddos any more and there were quite a few of those left at MK. DHS was my biggest disappointment this trip. That being said the FP finally allowed a ride on Toy Story which was amazing

Last edited:

I agree with the OP. I preferred the original fastpass system because it was less restrictive and allowed for more spontaneity. The FP+ tier limitations at Epcot and DHS make it hard to enjoy the system much, and you are compelled to include FP+s for less popular attractions that seldom have a wait anyway. Gone are the days where you can just wait and see what you feel like doing that day. I'm a planner by nature, but even I don't like having to plan such a detailed daily vacation schedule in advance.

We just didn't see any need to visit any other parks knowing we couldn't have a chance at anything other than standby

I assumed I should do our FP in the morning. In hindsight we will do evening next time so we can sleep in
FWIW, I hated FP+ too. I made that same mistake last year. Next trip, I'm going to prebook our FPs for late afternoon/evening and do rope drop without FPs and see how that goes.

FWIW, I hated FP+ too. I made that same mistake last year. Next trip, I'm going to prebook our FPs for late afternoon/evening and do rope drop without FPs and see how that goes.

I've used FP+ 3 or 4 times now, and that seems to be what has worked best for me. You can still fit in a lot of rides in the first 2 hours or so of park time. Then have your FPs for when the parks are at their most busy. Unless you really want to see the parks with only a few guests, skip the ADRs at opening and do a late breakfast around 10:30. That really helps optimize your time. Hth!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter