Please help a Southerner survive a snowy vacation!

Florida Girl here...

So while I have never been that kind of cold...We love North Carolina, Tennessee... and I know it doesn't get that kinda cold there... We do travel internationally during cooler months, and have gotten into seriously dipping temperatures while traveling... surprise, it's 25 and raining, and the wind chill was nuts, still we were out and touring... Thankfully I did have some layering items for us to use... a few long sleeve shirts, cami's, long socks.

I have learned that it is all about the layering... then water and wind proof on the outer wear...

UniQlo - has some really good items for warm wear, and there is one at Disney Springs... Great for layering... "Heattech" is what they are called...

Check out Bass Pro shop, Calbella's, lots of good things - hats, gloves, socks, scarves, some ear warmers, and the warmer packages, They make socks and gloves that you can put them into the garment... Check the Hunting, & Camping sections... DH is an outdoors guy...

Fleece pants, and sweat shirts for inside the cabin, fuzzy warm socks for sure...

Good Shoes to keep your feet warm and dry... I would spend for this...

Good jackets that you can wear comfortably with all the layering underneath...

What is the heat source in the cabin? I've got to say that wood heat is HOT. My parents heat with wood and I bring shorts to wear in the house when we visit. I could never sleep in fleece.

Cross country skiing - you will start out cold, but it is a work out! You will get hot. I usually end up with my mittens in my pockets and my coat unzipped.

Snowmobiling - is freezing. You are sitting in one place, not moving, in the wind. Whatever you have on should be both waterproof and wind blocking - fleece is warm but the wind blows right through it.

^^ I agree, you need to dress for the type of outdoor activity you plan to do. Something strenuous like skiing is a lot different from driving a snowmobile. In a cabin, how well you can regulate the heat source will also matter. Some cabins have a large stove/fireplace for heating and it is not like setting your thermostat at home.

Wood heat can also be very drying! When we had a woodstove, I would always keep a pan or something full of water on the stove, usually with potpourri in it, to add some moisture to the air. I'd also leave a tea kettle on their, for instant hot cocoa, but don't do that if you're going to be out for a few hours.

That said, I love me a wood stove--it takes a bit of practice to learn to control the temperature (to some degree--definitely NOT like your thermostat at home!). It's also very handy for drying mittens, etc.--those also add moisture to the air.

NH native here. I'd order online through either landsend.com (search for promo codes as the ones provided are not the best) or llbean.com. Note that landsend.com has a "school" section which has less expensive versions of fleece and jackets for kids and adults plus you can use the promo code and it is part of the website. Now is the time to get everything on sale. Layers are where it is at.

I would suggest warm leggings/long underwear, especially under snow pants as your legs will freeze. Jeans will just make you cold. Fleece or flanned lined jeans are really nice though!

Long underwear shirts (silky) and a warm, long sleeve thermal shirt topped with a fleece vest and warm jacket is best. If it is really cold (like -20) add a thin fleece jacket or a second fleece vest.

With all these under clothes, jackets have to be roomy. Ones that have lots of pockets and zip plus velcro closures are best.

Hats, scarfs and socks should be wool or wool blend. I've worn two hats, two scarfs and gloves under mittens many times. Many people wear thin cotton socks under the wool and if boots aren't warm enough, several pair. You can buy hand warmers at any store. Stores referenced above have glove liners (often silk).

Boots need to be waterproof with a removable lining. Take the linings out and let them dry out (from sweat) overnight. LLbean.com has the best and warmest IMO.

My husband used to work outside repairing outdoor equipment, so we have mastered cold weather gear.

Stay warm!

Last edited:
Boots - I assume you are renting ski equipment, which can include the boots. The PP who mentioned ski boots vs snow boots was talking about alpine skiing (downhill), cross country skiing will be completely different boots and skis. Just rent boots with the skis and poles; if you are going downhill skiing as well, you can usually rent helmets too. Have decent snow boots and you'll be ok.

For a short vacation, super expensive brands are not necessary; Walmart will be fine, especially with good warm socks. Maybe buy a size up to have room for layers - once layers start to feel snug it won't keep you warm (i.e. double warm socks inside boots normally worn with lightweight socks will make your feet cold instead of keeping them warm).

If the snowpants are bib style, don't worry about jacket length. The kids will prefer short and the bib will keep the snow out.

Non-wicking layers is key, not cotton. With waterproof/windproof outer layers.

Hi Everyone!
We are going to MN during our kids' Mardi Gras vacation in a couple of weeks. We rented a cabin on Lake Superior and plan on snowmobiling, cross country skiing, and whatever else we can tolerate at such inhuman temperatures. I went to to undergrad in PA and my husband lived in NJ, both a few decades ago, and we have been firmly planted where it rarely goes below 70 degrees ever since. We therefore own nothing warmer than North Face- type jackets.

I want to balance buying enough gear so we are not miserable with over-buying on things we likely will never use again, so I'm hoping I can get some guidance on that here! This is what we already have:

1) We all have borrowed snow pants .
2) I (only) own a pair of 30 year old duck boots from LL Bean.
3) The kids have "big" jackets that they've never worn before and are a tad too small but would work; they kinda look like ski jackets, but there still isn't that much to them in terms of lining.
4) We each have 467 pairs of cheap, long, fake-wooly socks (you know, the $5 kind from Walmart, some with sequins) that everyone likes to give everyone for Christmas (not sure they'll fit in a shoe or actually be warm).

That's it!

What would be the must-haves? I assume we need some type of long underwear to wear under the ski pants? Advice on which kind and where to get?

Do you wear thermal tops and sweatshirts/sweaters under jackets?

Do you think layering with thermal/sweatshirts will work with light jackets, or must we each buy good, big jackets?

Will the duck boots be sufficient with the right socks? And what type would those "right" socks be?

My guys all have rubber boots (the thin kind), but I'm sure those would be freezing. Do they need lined boots? Snow boots in particular?

Guess we will need gloves, hats, and scarves? I have a 20 yo pair of Isotoner gloves, but I guess those won't be too warm. The boys have plenty of warm gloves, but not a single set of matching ones. (How does that happen?!)

Any suggestions for brands, places to buy, discounts, etc. would be much appreciated! Again, I am fine with spending what we need to in order to enjoy the trip, but I'm afraid we may end up in the emergency room with frostbite or some other skiing-related calamity, so I would love to save where we can!
Thanks so much!!

LOL, I had to laugh at your inhuman Temperature quote! I live in N. Minnesota, and we visit the North Shore of Lake Superior every year. So maybe I can help.
Some background, we moved from the deep South several years ago. My winter jacket was a lightweight nylon one, LOL. When we moved up here, I didn't know what COLD was! I bought a neck to ankle down coat with hood, heavy boots, gloves, hats and looked like the Michelin Man. We have since adjusted.
I would recommend good long johns, wool socks (real wool). The feet getting too cold does happen alot. Also good boots with liners and water proof. Gloves are a must, and should be tagged for arctic weather. Also it's important to wear a stocking hat and a scarf.
If you try to buy your winter stuff down south, you won't get the right thing. I'd order online or just buy in Mn. We don't have taxes on clothes, which is a plus. Almost forgot sweatshirts are a must too, and layering is good. If you get too warm while out, you can remove a layer.
I'm curious, where are you staying at (town?) We usually stay at Grand Marais. Check it out online, it is a beautiful, , artists community.

Since no one else has mentioned it — you will all need to use a good sunscreen on your face, ears, and neck. Also, you will need a lip balm with good SPF. And everyone needs sunglasses. That snow reflects the sun’s rays something fierce. You can get a really bad burn. The wind does damage too. And, they’re talking an extended polar vortex in the next few days. Check the weather before you head out, and check it often.

OP here! Just an aside that today I talked with several people who all have Disney and other Orlando-area Mardi Gras vacations planned. The looks I've been getting when I share our plans...

I just looked at the cabin listing and it does not indicate what type of heating it has. I sincerely hope that does not mean there is no heating. There is a wood burning fireplace, but I'd rather not have to sleep at the hearth. I hate to ask the owner, because I think I previously irritated him with multiple questions about how soon the snow plows would come for us if it snowed a lot. :rolleyes1

We will be in Silver Bay, which is (I believe) about an hour south of Grand Marais?? We rented the snowmobiles from Gunflint Lodge, so we will visit Grand Marais at least once!

We will definitely rent the ski gear; I did not have the mental capacity left to figure that stuff out, so hopefully that will be easy to just walk in and ask them to dress us.

Thank you so much for all the details; I now have a massive shopping list made and lots of ideas on where to buy, and I have a friend's house I'm going to raid since they took a similar trip to somewhere frigid once (and only once). I am going to order more than I hope we will need and return what we don't use. Who knows, maybe we will want to repeat the trip one day? (I can't even type that without laughing out loud.)

Thank you, thank you! I'll report back after we return!

OP here! Just an aside that today I talked with several people who all have Disney and other Orlando-area Mardi Gras vacations planned. The looks I've been getting when I share our plans...

I just looked at the cabin listing and it does not indicate what type of heating it has. I sincerely hope that does not mean there is no heating. There is a wood burning fireplace, but I'd rather not have to sleep at the hearth. I hate to ask the owner, because I think I previously irritated him with multiple questions about how soon the snow plows would come for us if it snowed a lot. :rolleyes1

We will be in Silver Bay, which is (I believe) about an hour south of Grand Marais?? We rented the snowmobiles from Gunflint Lodge, so we will visit Grand Marais at least once!

We will definitely rent the ski gear; I did not have the mental capacity left to figure that stuff out, so hopefully that will be easy to just walk in and ask them to dress us.

Thank you so much for all the details; I now have a massive shopping list made and lots of ideas on where to buy, and I have a friend's house I'm going to raid since they took a similar trip to somewhere frigid once (and only once). I am going to order more than I hope we will need and return what we don't use. Who knows, maybe we will want to repeat the trip one day? (I can't even type that without laughing out loud.)

Thank you, thank you! I'll report back after we return!
My best friend graduated high school in Silver Bay 😀

As someone who has lived their whole life 45 minutes north of Minnesota you do not need to wear both long underwear and ski pants at the same time.
Layers is key . So are decent gloves,

There will be central heating. Lol. It don’t just be a wood stove.

just checked the forecast and it’s looks like mild temperatures the next couple weeks.

good for you for getting out of your comfort zone and seeing your beautiful country! Winter isn’t scary

Last edited:
We are from Texas & took a trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming this December. It was cold there! We saw 0 & never above 20. It was so much fun & we learned a lot about how to stay warm.

We did an all day snow machine trip to Yellowstone. It was snowing, cloudy & really cold that day.
We wore 2 layers of tops, 2 layers of pants, wool socks, warmers for feet & hands & a Fleece head liner. They furnished bib coveralls, coat, helmet & boots & mittens. We never got cold with all that!

On a dog sled tour : 2 layers under our coat, wool socks, snow boot, very good gloves, warm hat & we stayed perfect.

Several thin layers sure work better than bulky, very good gloves are important & wool socks. We had to buy different socks & gloves as our toes & fingers were freezing!

You have a lot of good suggestions here. Depending on your budget look at REI for gear. I am from Louisiana and currently live in WV and I have learned how to dress for winters here. I also hike in the snow. It is important the order that you layer. You definitely want a good base layer first. One that is moisture wicking. Then put on another mid layer. Stay away from cotton, reason being it doesn't dry fast. So if you get wet from water/snow/sweat it isn't going to dry fast thus it will make you cold faster. After that put on fleece, it will help keep your body heat from escaping. Also soft shell pants are a blessing. The ones I use are waterproof and wind proof. Wool socks and anything fleece. And like MagicalMawMaw said thin layers work better than bulky. When you get the right products you would be surprised at how well they actually work cause just throwing on whatever clothes thinking that the bulkier the better, your going to be miserable. And it is best to remember it is better to take off a layer if you get too warm than it is to put on a layer to get warm if you are already cold.

I was so confused with all the things I was told when we first started going to Colorado..
I bought our snow gear at goodwill... I lived in East Texas so these things would just sit at the resale shop and sell for 5.00 I'm glad you have some to borrow but keep your eye out.
For our base layer for the kids we bought pjs at Walmart or old navy for $5-10 a set.
Mid layer was his sweatshirt or jacket then
Top layer was his coat.
It's worth buying some snow gloves for the kids because the cotton ones will get wet quick and then they are worthless. I bought mine on ebay new for $10 each.
It's funny now .. but the best thing for your face is a gator it's nice that they are so easy to find.

If you choose to wear jeans you can scotchgard spray them and they will bead water off and they are fine if you are not rolling in the snow.

AmazonSmile : Grabber Hand Warmers - Long Lasting Safe Natural Odorless Air Activated Warmers - Up to 7 Hours of Heat - 10 Pairs : Camping Hand Warmers : Sports & Outdoors

AmazonSmile: Grabber Hand Warmers - Natural Odorless Air Activated Warmers - 7 Hours of Heat - 10 Pairs: Sports & Outdoors

Both links say hand warmers but one is a toe warmer.
We live in NJ so it's cold but not quite MN cold. We used the toe warmers for our glacier hike in Alaska and they kept our feet toasty warm. The key is keeping dry which is not so easy.
I agree that mittens are way better than gloves and LLBean is my go to site for good quality products to keep you warm outdoors.
JMHO but I would buy goggles vs renting them. I don't care what they use to clean them, that is gross during a pandemic. Poles, skis, ski boots, rent. They don't sit inches from your nose and mouth for hours.

Have a great trip!! It will be a memorable trip for sure.

I live in Michigan and it can get cold and snowy. You might want to look at some of the Triclimate North Face jackets (3 in 1) I have found them on great sales in the past and at least those you still might be able to use parts of them when you return home. Good Luck

Hi rnorow1, I have to agree with some of the other posters as far as not spending too much money on clothing. Definitely hit the thrift stores either at home or when you arrive. I know that you're down south, but some people drag stuff down there then realize they don't need or want it. In MA we have a few consignment shops that cater to sports enthusiast. You could find the gear you need at a reasonable price. They sometimes will also have things like skates and sleds. Then when you are ready to head back to the warm and sunshine, donate or consign all your treasure. If you donate the items be sure to get and keep the receipts for tax purposes. Have a great trip and just keep singing "the cold never bothered me anyway"

Be grateful you aren’t coming this weekend. We will be below zero the entire weekend and Monday and windchills on Saturday/Sunday will be -25 to -40

I live in Syracuse where it has been in the teens low 20’s. We are considering a move to Minneapolis but it really too cold for me. Dress warm and take plenty of socks

TBH, we get like 2 "cold snaps" a year and otherwise, it's beautiful here. This coming week will be a bitter one, but you just make lots of chili and hunker down :)

OP - we are disc golfers, so are out in the elements a lot. Layers are your key. I do a long sleeve thermal tee, a hoodie, and then a lightweight jacket with waterproofing on the inside. Scarf, good gloves (waterproof), a hat, sunglasses. A few layers of socks. Good boots (I bought some Merrell's this year).

Our stores have switched over to bikinis and sunscreen here, so Amazon might be your best bet. But, thrift stores might have stuff, too. You can always sell on Ebay or the like after you are done.

BTW - Silver Bay/Grand Marais are INCREDIBLE and the scenery all along the North Shore is out-of-this-world. I bet you will end up loving it. Duluth on north is my favorite place in the world - even better than WDW ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter