• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help...Buy or Rent?

EeyoreAlwaysInMyHeart

Some days look better upside down...
We recently returned from our third Disney World trip in as many years. Our two kids are currently 4 and 7, and we LOVE everything Disney (my husband and myself included). We went to Disney World before kids, are loving every minute of taking our kids, and look forward to future trips without kids as well.

Our dilemma is in deciding whether or not it would be worth it to buy DVC or continue renting points for our vacations. We've rented for our last two trips, but paid out of pocket for our first trip (with the kids). We've fallen in love with the 1 bedroom villas and I don't know if a deluxe studio would ever suffice. So far, our favorites are BCV (so we can walk to Epcot) and BLT (so we can walk to Magic Kingdom and see the fireworks from our room).

From a lot of the advice I've heard/read, you mostly have to stick with the deluxe studios to maximize the value of your points. We've fallen in love with the added luxury of the 1 or 2 bedroom villas. Does it still make sense to own and always use our points on the more expensive rooms or would we be better off continuing renting points for each vacation? Right now, we've been averaging a trip every 1.5 years (mid-January or late September). Now that the kids are getting older and both will be in school, I'm afraid we'll have to start going during busier times during school breaks.

Finally, if we buy, does anyone know of the specific current benefits (other than the ability to use points at non-DVC resorts) we would lose if we bought resale? Specifically, the Top of the World Lounge access, special member parties, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You need to look at the cost to rent 1 bedrooms and owning points for a 1 bedroom. Owning you will probably save some money but you will give up some flexibility. Renting, if you want to skip a year no problem. If you want to book any resort at 11 months, no problem. Owning you are at the mercy of Disney with DVC rules and restrictions. Resale buyers can currently visit TOTWL at BLT and trade out to RCI which isn't much of a benefit IMO. Everything else Disney has decided that you don't get because you didn't pay more money to buy direct.

:earsboy: Bill

We always stay at 1 or 2 BR units. We find purchasing, over the course of 25 or so years, will save us big money so we felt buying in was totally worth it. We don't care to trade to stay away from DVC or anywhere other than on the east coast so buying resale was also a good choice for us. Anyway, price out how often you go, what resort you really prefer and see how it benefits you.

If you can pay cash for your DVC it might be an ok deal. If you want to finance, I think you would be better renting.

You will find a good amount of info just reading through the threads if you have not already.

DVC is a long term investment but can pay for itself in just a few vacations so for us, it was time to take the plunge when we had our son and knew we had another 20 years of Disney vacations ahead of us. However it can be expensive and it isn't the best option for a lot of families.

If you don't like studios, then don't buy planning to only be able to stay in a studio - that's a lot of money for something you don't even want. Plus as your kids get older, they get bigger and a studio will feel smaller. The "value" of a studio vs a 1 bedroom is subjective. Purely talking about monetary cost per head, studios are better than one bedrooms but a one bedroom is almost twice the space and has a full kitchen so the value is what you get out of it.

Also, If you go every year and a half you could take advantage of banking and borrowing points so that you don't need a huge contract either. I would do lots of research - sit down and really map everything out. Good luck!

You need to look at the cost to rent 1 bedrooms and owning points for a 1 bedroom. Owning you will probably save some money but you will give up some flexibility. Renting, if you want to skip a year no problem. If you want to book any resort at 11 months, no problem. Owning you are at the mercy of Disney with DVC rules and restrictions. Resale buyers can currently visit TOTWL at BLT and trade out to RCI which isn't much of a benefit IMO. Everything else Disney has decided that you don't get because you didn't pay more money to buy direct.

Bill,

Based on your number of posts you are obviously an expert at DVC but don't resale buyers also get some discounts on dining & shopping? I know I do and I'm a resale buyer.

Bill,

Based on your number of posts you are obviously an expert at DVC but don't resale buyers also get some discounts on dining & shopping? I know I do and I'm a resale buyer.

Not if you bought after April of this year, DVC changed the rules again and the ID cards. You need a blue one for discounts, new resale buyers get a white card.

Not if you bought after April of this year, DVC changed the rules again and the ID cards. You need a blue one for discounts, new resale buyers get a white card.

Don't forget -- post 4/4 resale buyers still get access to DVDs at their DVC resort...of course, I've heard many of the rooms do not have DVD players anymore. Huge perk!

And "special member parties" aren't much of a benefit. You book at 11/7 months; Disney announce parties at 3-4 months.

We also love the 1 bedrooms and stay in them almost exclusively. Occasionally, we stay at BLT and tried the Poly once and for those stays, we went with a studio due to cost of the 1 bedrooms at those resorts.

IMO, the only real benefit to buying direct for us is access to the DVC annual passes. The GOLD passes are are significantly less than the regular annual passes (but they are blacked out for the Easter & Christmas / New Year's weeks). I used to feel the same way about the Tables in Wonderland card, but the price on that has risen enough to make it not a good value for us. IMO, the other benefits are either incidental or a poor use of points.

If you decide to purchase, consider buying the bulk of your points via resale and then a small add-on directly from Disney. The 25 point add -on contract (smallest Disney sells) will give you access to all of the membership extras and you will still spend a lot less overall than if you purchased all of your points direct, even though it will cost more than buying all the points via resale.

We bought DVC specifically because our family no longer fit in a regular hotel room/studio (opposite sex kids who couldn't share a bed) and we were sure we'd be visiting WDW every year. It's been a wonderful value for us. And DH and I still prefer the full kitchen & laundry in a 1BR even for just the two of us.

We recently returned from our third Disney World trip in as many years. Our two kids are currently 4 and 7, and we LOVE everything Disney (my husband and myself included). We went to Disney World before kids, are loving every minute of taking our kids, and look forward to future trips without kids as well.

Our dilemma is in deciding whether or not it would be worth it to buy DVC or continue renting points for our vacations. We've rented for our last two trips, but paid out of pocket for our first trip (with the kids). We've fallen in love with the 1 bedroom villas and I don't know if a deluxe studio would ever suffice. So far, our favorites are BCV (so we can walk to Epcot) and BLT (so we can walk to Magic Kingdom and see the fireworks from our room).

From a lot of the advice I've heard/read, you mostly have to stick with the deluxe studios to maximize the value of your points. We've fallen in love with the added luxury of the 1 or 2 bedroom villas. Does it still make sense to own and always use our points on the more expensive rooms or would we be better off continuing renting points for each vacation? Right now, we've been averaging a trip every 1.5 years (mid-January or late September). Now that the kids are getting older and both will be in school, I'm afraid we'll have to start going during busier times during school breaks.

Finally, if we buy, does anyone know of the specific current benefits (other than the ability to use points at non-DVC resorts) we would lose if we bought resale? Specifically, the Top of the World Lounge access, special member parties, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
The 1 & 3 BR will return a lower $$$ value than a studio or 2 BR (compared to 2 hotel rooms) but it is still going to be cheaper most of the time owning than renting points and usually both cheaper than cash. Also realize that for times that tend to be heavily discounted with cash, the savings is a lot less in general than owning and at times, may be close to the same. Owning is the best way long term if one meets certain criteria. These are that they are OK with the compromises, will only use the points for DVC resort stays, can plan ahead and reserve (at least 7 months) and can afford it (to me that's pay cash & no consumer debt). I'd buy resale then do a 25 point add on retail to get the discounts. I wouldn't go under 150 points normally but a week a year for a 1 BR will be more in the 250 range. If that's what you're looking at, I'd probably look for the best contract in the 150-230 range then you'd have room for the 25 point add on without it being "extra". In this example, even if you ended up at 175 total, you could try it and see how things were going and a loaded contract at this level will play more like 220 for a few years anyway. Then if you decided you needed more points, possibly consider a second home resort instead. You might tire after a while or sometimes life happens and you wouldn't have to rent out points or dispose of them in some way.

Your travel habits may change as the kids start getting older.

Our kids are 3.5 and 7. I was commited to Disney until this year, where I've started looking at Atlantis, Universal and Discovery Cove for the older one. Although the older one still loves Disney, I hazard to guess once he reaches Harry Potter (in the next few years) he may hanker for Universal instead, or be perfect for Discovery Cove. We are no longer as committed as we once were, but every family is different.

If you are fully committed to Disney for the next 10 years or more, then my advice is to buy. If you think you might change your travel habits, then renting is a decent option.

When we bought 6 years ago, when the market was down, my analysis had us conservatively breaking even at between 5-7 trips if buying, and 10-14 trips if renting. The analysis is different now because the pricing of the resale DVC is more than it was in 2011. Crunch some numbers and try figure out what your likely future holds. Good luck!

Our kids are 3.5 and 7. I was commited to Disney until this year, where I've started looking at Atlantis, Universal and Discovery Cove for the older one. Although the older one still loves Disney, I hazard to guess once he reaches Harry Potter (in the next few years) he may hanker for Universal instead, or be perfect for Discovery Cove. We are no longer as committed as we once were, but every family is different.

If you are fully committed to Disney for the next 10 years or more, then my advice is to buy. If you think you might change your travel habits, then renting is a decent option.

When we bought 6 years ago, when the market was down, my analysis had us conservatively breaking even at between 5-7 trips if buying, and 10-14 trips if renting. The analysis is different now because the pricing of the resale DVC is more than it was in 2011. Crunch some numbers and try figure out what your likely future holds. Good luck!

Our kids are now at the Harry Potter age. We found it quite easy to rent a low cost off site hotel at Universal for a couple days. Followed by a stay at AKL. Best of both worlds.

We stayed at the Double Tree at Universal it is with in walking distance. No where as nice as one bedroom at AKL but also 100 bucks a night.

From a lot of the advice I've heard/read, you mostly have to stick with the deluxe studios to maximize the value of your points.

? Not sure that was advice, but rather just what certain people do.

If maximizing points value is what you intend to do, then yes, do that.

If maximizing your enjoyment of your timeshare is what you intend to do, then do NOT do that unless you love studios.

We have 160 points, and we use them as we want to use them. This and next Feb I have a studio booked for Princess for me and my cousin. This Dec I have an OKW 2 bedroom for two nights for extended family, then a studio booked at xmas for my 3 person family. We've gone 1 bed to 2 bed and back as our needs and wishes change.

Sometimes we have to go with normal hotel rooms if our wishes to be at WDW exceed our available points. etc. We use it how it works for us. We don't let some philosophy of maximizing points dictate our stays.

If you don't like studios, then don't buy planning to only be able to stay in a studio - that's a lot of money for something you don't even want.

Exactly.

And "special member parties" aren't much of a benefit. You book at 11/7 months; Disney announce parties at 3-4 months.

So true. Glad I'm not the only one that notices that!

Our kids are now at the Harry Potter age. We found it quite easy to rent a low cost off site hotel at Universal for a couple days. Followed by a stay at AKL. Best of both worlds.

BEST of both worlds is to stay onsite at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, or Portofino to get the early entrance to Wizarding World AND unlimited Express Pass from checkin to park-close check out day. And start the trip at WDW if you must, LOL, so you don't have to go from Express Pass to sad and clunky FP+.

We are well past Disney age and Universal age with a seventeen and eighteen year old. She's headed off to London with school for Spring Break - she's been to London before and its definitely near the top of her list - but she likes New York and Washington DC too. He likes surfing and beaches and all inclusive resorts. My eighteen year old stayed home this last Disney trip. My daughter still went and had a good time, she brought a friend - but it was our first Disney trip in four years.

And it happened fast.

We only ever really went every other year - which is one of the reasons my seventeen year old has already been to England, Scotland, Ireland, New York, Washington DC, San Francisco, Mexico, Hawaii, the Bahamas, and Munich.

We've been able to make DVC work with every other year (we spent one cycle at Hilton Head with my Girl Scouts) - but I'm really glad we never bought enough points for every year or gotten ourselves into a rut or all these other opportunities wouldn't have happened.

We only ever really went every other year - which is one of the reasons my seventeen year old has already been to England, Scotland, Ireland, New York, Washington DC, San Francisco, Mexico, Hawaii, the Bahamas, and Munich.

If we bought into DVC, this is how we would use it, as we plan to travel elsewhere as well. Can you share how many points you feel are enough to do every other year? What types of rooms do you stay in? How long were/are your Disney trips? Thanks!

We have 150 points. We usually have a two bedroom for about a week in August now that the kids are older - we used to do October when we could pull them from school - but that ended in middle school. We own Boardwalk, so have stretched points by booking standard view. We've also combined a lot of points for short trips in a Grand Villa - four nights. And done one two two bedroom short trip with my family - four nights. We have almost always stayed at BW - we did one add on night at VWL years ago, and did one August trip at BCV years ago. We always book at eleven months

We do Universal at a Universal hotel for FOTL. We do Disney cruises on cash. We do Hawaii on Maui and not Aulani.

When we bought, the rental market was completely private. In your shoes, I'd rent - unless you have spare money to tie up in this. Renting gives you the most flexibility - and the least emotional attachment. We bought for a song after 9/11 on the resale market.

If we bought into DVC, this is how we would use it, as we plan to travel elsewhere as well. Can you share how many points you feel are enough to do every other year? What types of rooms do you stay in? How long were/are your Disney trips? Thanks!
I presume you're looking at those other options outside of DVC. EOY can be workable but once you get past that the risk is usually too great even if the numbers seem to work OK on the surface.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter