• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please Help Choose a Resort!

Another vote for the Poly! We just stayed there in May. It was also my dream choice like it is for you and I was also concerned about cost. I do not regret it one bit!!! It was awesome!

(We have also stayed at PO and did not like it. Room was very outdated and transportation was not very good. Will not do again.)

I'll try to resist the temptation of telling you which hotels I personally enjoy and instead try to give you information that is relevant to your needs; and try to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each.

1. First, if you are very much torn between different hotels, a split stay is always a fun option. Disney also makes it easy. They will happily transfer your luggage for free (though it will be in transit for several hours). In your case, it might be fun to do a six night/one night split to see two hotels.

2. Second, while I hear you say this may be your only trip, well...maybe don't completely rule out the possibility of a return visit. I don't say that to sell WDW, I say that because it is hard/impossible to see everything in one visit. If you mentally consider that maybe a return trip might be possible, then right off the bat, you remove a great deal of stress.

3. It is important to me- that you say you are going to be the only adult with 4 children. Navigating WDW crowds as a solo parent is a challenge in itself. A helpful grandparent of aunt/uncle could be helpful. Hopefully your older children are old enough to be helpful and somewhat responsible, but you're still going to have to keep a close eye on everyone. All day, every day.

In short, you know your kids, while we don't. How they handle crowded areas matters- especially as you are the solo parent. It also matter is they are prone to running off, or they are picky eaters, or they are excellent map readers, or they have similar or very divergent interests.

If your 5 year old is too scared to ride the biggest thrill rides, what will you do? Let the older kids go on the ride without you, or skip the ride? Will you have a stroller? Are naps something you'd consider? Are you all able to get up early? Stay up late?

Not to be gross, but bathroom usage can also be a factor when you are a solo parent. If you are in line, and the 5 year old has a sudden urge.. well... two adults might be able to split up. As the solo parent, you'll do well to be pro-active when it comes to bathroom usage.

4. So with all of the above to consider, and what I know after many trips to WDW, convenience is going to be your friend.

5. Study the layout of WDW. MK is a ways from the other 3 parks. If you think you'll be going back and forth mostly to MK then close to MK makes sense, but if you plan to spend time in all four parks- it might be best to be located more centrally - especially if afternoon naps are on your list. While most 11 years olds don't take naps at home, they might at WDW. You see, crowds peak between 11am-4pm. It really pays to sue the peripheral park hours as much as possible. Again, you know what is possible for your family. WDW parks = walking all day.

BC= close to BOTH Epcot and HS, centrally located within WDW, great pool, not great for breakfast (unless you choose Club level), great staff!, fun themes, not all rooms have balconies

Poly = great theme, fun pool, close to MK, but not the other 3 parks, easy access to all monorail eateries, some rooms don't have balconies, to get to food area- you have to walk OUTSIDE, uncovered walkways, if you have a stroller Poly layout is inconvenient (monorail is on the upper floor of the lobby building, which is separate from your longhouse.)

CR = layout of the hotel is super compact (you'll REALLY appreciate that when you are there), a MONORAIL runs through it!, walkable to MK, not super close to other 3 parks, less exciting pool, even EASIER access to all monorail area eateries, all rooms have balconies. Tower rooms offer bonus convenience.

POR= less $, sprawling resort (as in long walk from your room to food court/pool/buses), food court is fast/easy kid-friendly fare (but also a bit dull), campfire w/marshmallows is fun, pool is nice, you also get easy access to POFQ, no balconies, all corridors are outdoors, walk to food court is uncovered. The POR rooms that sleep five are located in buildings that do NOT have elevators

The CR pool has a splash park, and a fabulous quiet pool. the main pool has a slide, but nearly as well themed as the rest of the hotels you list.

One easy way to narrow your hotel choice is to consider where you want to eat. We tend to eat at our hotel food court before 8:30am, then QS lunch in the parks, then a sit-down meal for dinner. Once in while we do a sit-down lunch and QS dinner.

7. More recently, we've come to REALLY appreciate the value of the concierge level. If I was in your shoes, club level would practically be a must for me. You get extra service from the hotel staff, plus access to a special lounge that serves food 7am-10pm, and is often just a short distance from your room. The lounge serves breakfast (7am-10am), appetizers (5-7pm), plus mid-day snacks/beverages, and evening desserts. The appetizers aren't quite substantial enough to = a real dinner, but they often include items like chicken skewers, dumplings, cheese, veggie platters, breads, simple sushi, PBJ, etc. Desserts are an assortment of tart sized treats. Breakfast is continental - no bacon, but plenty of fruit, cereal, milk oatmeal, yogurt, bagels, etc. the lounge also serves beer/wine (included). You also get 24 access to whole fruits, and soft drinks (though the cooler isn't replenished after 10pm). Breakfast is also MUCH quicker than the food courts, or sit down meals. Beer, wine, and lattes are also included.

Also, at every WDW resort, the whole club floor is ONLY open to CL guests. While you can't let the kids go to the food lounge by themselves, as a solo parent, the whole CL floor= a fairly safe space. It isn't 100% free of other guests, but it will give you a little breathing space to relax. Eating every breakfast in the VERY BUSY food courts- as a solo parent with 4 kids- will not be nearly as relaxing or stress free - as they are very busy.

Consider something simple....you get all your food, but forget to grab a spoon for your cereal. In the busy food court, what do you do? Do you leave your kids alone? Send the 11 year old to find it?

In the smaller semi-private CL, you can watch the five year old walk over and get his own spoon.

Similarly, as a solo adult, I don't think I'd ever leave my kids alone in the room while walked all the way to the food court, but with most CL rooms at BC and CR, I'd have no problem walking to the lounge to get a soda (for a moment) while the kids napped on the room. (If you go this route, DO request a room near the lounge.) All CL rooms are near the lounge at CR, the rest are split levels

A bonus of both the CR and the Poly CL's though is that you can see the MK fireworks from the lounge! At BC, some rooms are fireworks view, most are not.

The downside of the CL experience is that if favors spending time at your hotel. If you know you won't be returning to your hotel in the afternoon or before 10pm, then CL isn't worth the extra cost. If you are planning to return to your resort in the (late) afternoons, plus one whole day at your resort- then compare the cost to CL against the dining plan/other food option costs, and how you like to eat. It wouldn't be a good deal for many families, but in many cases, it really adds up.

Last edited:
With the additional info you've given, OP, I'd DEFINITELY say the Poly. You have two MK days and it's super convenient to that park and Epcot.
I would recommend a standard room and not a studio for your crew, so you get two real beds.

Wow, you guys are amazing! You've given me a lot to think about. I had never even considered a split stay, but that does sound appealing.

I'm not terribly concerned about taking the kids myself. I'll likely end up renting a stroller for my youngest (it is a lot of walking) and they are all good travelers. The oldest two are particularly independent and can ride together on the few rides that my youngest could not (she's 40" now). My only concern would be long lines if we are unable to wait with them. Surely many others have managed somehow! Right?

I'll be in the minority and say POR. When I'm not travelling with my husband, I am more likely to not splurge as much on the hotel room. The kids and I can "rough it" in the smaller room or less convenient resort and save that money to spend on more adventures while we are there or a different trip later.

My choice would be the Poly or CR. The rooms are large and spacious (and quite a bit larger than the BC or POR) and all rooms come with a daybed (which is not a guarantee at the BC). At the BC/YC, not all rooms come with a daybed and while parties of 5 are given preference for those rooms, it is not guaranteed you will get one (they will, however, provide a roll away if needed). The BC is nice as it is convenient to be within walking distance to Epcot, but we prefer staying on the monorail as we find a greater variety of dining options at the Poly/CR/GF & WL than we do around the Epcot resorts. Good luck deciding and have a great trip :wizard:.

I agree! Also, your touring plan suits the location of the Poly in particular. With a day also planned for the resort, I would definitely give the edge to staying at the Poly.

Wow, you guys are amazing! You've given me a lot to think about. I had never even considered a split stay, but that does sound appealing.

I'm not terribly concerned about taking the kids myself. I'll likely end up renting a stroller for my youngest (it is a lot of walking) and they are all good travelers. The oldest two are particularly independent and can ride together on the few rides that my youngest could not (she's 40" now). My only concern would be long lines if we are unable to wait with them. Surely many others have managed somehow! Right?

With only 6 nights, I wouldn't attempt a split stay, especially as a solo parent with 4 children age 11 and younger. I love split stays, but it wouldn't be worth the extra work for such a short visit. I would focus on making everything as convenient and easy as possible.

BTW: Mickeyluv'r made a lot of really good points about travelling solo with 4 children to WDW. Perhaps others have managed it somehow, but it will not be easy, IMO.

Good luck!!!

Enjoy your trip!

Given your situation, another vote for Poly here! YC/BC are my favorites, but for you, I think Poly will probably work the best. Have fun!

With only 6 nights, I wouldn't attempt a split stay, especially as a solo parent with 4 children age 11 and younger. I love split stays, but it wouldn't be worth the extra work for such a short visit. I would focus on making everything as convenient and easy as possible.

BTW: Mickeyluv'r made a lot of really good points about travelling solo with 4 children to WDW. Perhaps others have managed it somehow, but it will not be easy, IMO.

Good luck!!!

Enjoy your trip!

Ah, we have split stays down to a science. If we don't up-pack our clothing they are super easy. The only thing we really unpack - more or less- is our toiletries. And even most of those items stay in their ziploc bags (like otc meds). The hardest part is MAKING IT AN ABSOLUTE rules to re-pack my phone cable EVERY morning. If I follow that one rule, I never leave it behind. Pack-up only takes a few minutes to sweep the room.

OP, glad to hear your kids are good park-goers and helpful. That makes a big difference. Still, and this is why I'd not pick POR- EVERY time you get on the bus to/from the parks, you are going to have to take EVERYTHING out of the stroller and FOLD it up, while keeping track of everyone. As the only adult, itwill be a lot to keep track of.

And you will be doing that sort of thing all day long. I have many extended-family trips to WDW under my belt, and many times, I've taken the kids for a few hours by myself, and even when they are great kids, it is a tiring responsibility to be the solo adult in crowds. Not over whelming, just takes some extra effort and a slower pace.

I have no doubt, you will have a super fun time, it's just I'm thinking some simplicity will be much appreciated. Even when we go with a group of adults and plenty of extra hands, it is OH so much easier to take the monorail over the buses when you have a stroller and a group to watch. It is also just SO much better when you can get back to your hotel in 15 minutes -instead of an hour+ ride to the bus (esp when you are tired).

We are planning our first (and very likely ONLY) trip to WDW March 1-7, 2018.

We are a family of 5 and having two Queens and a pulldown/daybed is important to us (hence no Studios). We are planning 6 nights/7 days. One entire day in the middle of our trip will be a resort/pool day. Having a nice pool and good TS restaurants nearby is important to us. Having said all of that which would you choose?

1. Poly Standard Room $$$ (my favorite option, but the most expensive and I'm not sure it is worth the big splurge at $575/night)

2. Beach Club Standard Room ($499/night)

3. Contemporary Garden Wing Standard Room ($467/night)

4. Port Orleans Riverside Preferred Room ($290-ish/night)

I am hoping for a decent room discount at some point this fall. Does anyone have an educated guess as to what a Deluxe Room discount would be? TY!

Avoid the Contemporary Garden Wing. It's a waste of money. YOu do not get what you pay for. I was highly disappointed. The only other place on the WDW property I stayed at was the Swan and I was highly impressed. Weird, right?

I want to say more about the Contemporary Garden Wing because I have such strong feelings about it. I stayed there for 4 nights last month.

The Garden Wing is 3 floors with relatively short ceilings. It is a shlep from the main building. It is awesome to have the monorail in your hotel but it's not really in your hotel. You have to leave your room, walk outside about 300 feet (from the exit of the garden wing), enter the main building, and go up two escalators. The Garden Wing stretches all the way to the lake so you could be much further away then I was (like 15 rooms in from the entrance). It doesn't sound like a big deal but it was highly inconvenient and irked the #$%^ out of me. Esp in the a.m. when I wanted to not waste time getting to the parks or at the end of the day when I finally arrive at my hotel after a long day, my feet hurt, I'm sweaty, hot and uncomfortable, but yet I still had to walk another million feet to my room. And if you want to grab a quick snack or need something in the shop you have to shlep back out, walk to the main building, go up to the 2 escalators, and so on. I was so upset that I paid over $500/night for that.

Also re: monorail - to go to Epcot you have to wait for it, get off at one stop, go up a ramp and down a ramp and wait for another monorail (in the heat). I rather get on an air conditioned bus. When I left MK at 11:30 at night the monorail closed and I walked back to the hotel which is not a big deal but it would be nice if it didn't close so early.

It's a relatively lame pool for a WDW resort, but it's fine. As a mother with 4 young children you may appreciate it's relatively small in size. There are about 6 lifeguards on duty at all times and they watch everyone in that pool like a hawk.

The food at the pool was acceptable.

The food at the food court was two thumbs down.

The food at the Wave restaurant was two thumbs up.

I guess you can say I am bitter. Esp because I always wanted to stay at the Contemp since I was a child and it was disappointing. Also, about two weeks before I was supposed to leave for my vacation I decided I wanted to go early and the Contemp was booked so I booked the Swan for the first 3 nights. I expected it to be mediocre. It was half the price of the Contemp and sooo much nicer. Clean, comfortable, accessible, buses to the parks arrive within 10 minutes, good central location, the pool is excellent and relaxing. The bar food at the Dolphin was good.

I cannot really compare the Contemp to other WDW resorts because I have not stayed anywhere else on the property (except the Swan of course, which I don't know if you would consider a WDW resort). However the pools at the Poly and the BC look like a lot of fun.

So that is my recent experience. It feels good to get that all out.

I hope you and your family have an awesome time.

Last edited:
I want to say more about the Contemporary Garden Wing because I have such strong feelings about it. I stayed there for 4 nights last month.
Interesting review. While I confess, it has been a while since my most recent Swan stay, we really liked it every time. To us, the Swan feels like a WDW deluxe. Both Swan/Dolphin are located right in the belly of WDW, share boats with HS/BC/YC/Bwk/Epcot, and have pools that are just as nice as any WDW pool (certainly better than CR's). Oh, and the dining is very good. You just don't get quite the same MYW package offerings.

When I speak well of CR, I'm thinking of the Tower rooms. (We prefer the less expensive Bay Lake view, which ="standard view.") We've not stayed in the garden wing rooms. Potential pluses of G Wing is they are close to the pool and laundry room.

What you say about long walks within hotels though is true at most WDW hotels. Most have LONG walks, and room location makes a very big difference! We don't care about views, just convenient room locations! One of the biggest pluses, IMO of the CR tower is that all rooms are not too bad to the elevator.

[Probably the large moderates are NOT for you, Heather. Lots of walking to get anywhere, but you might like Universal's Royal Pacific. Short walk to IoA.]

My experiences with food at CR are a bit the opposite. The food court is decent. Wave was good for breakfast, but our last dinner there was terrible. Chef Mickey's was also not a favorite, but it was long ago. We usually hop to GF and Poly for dinners.

The way Heather describes the garden wing, is similar to layout of Poly and most of GF (except main building GF).

Poly's layout is offset by the awesome theming and proximity to the TTC and MK, but I agree teher's a considerable difference between CR Tower and CR Garden Wing. I should have been more accurate in my earlier post.

A big issue for me was that it was not disclosed to me that my room would be in the G Wing. When I think of the Contemporary I think of the main tower. I didn't even know an annex existed and so I did not make an educated decision when I decided to put down $2300 on four nights. I would not have chosen to spend that kind of $ on the annex. (My friend calls it "the annex" LOL!).

You make it sound like I'm lazy. Maybe I am projecting? What I'm saying is that after you've walked around the parks all day long, most people just want to chill out as quickly as possible once they arrive at the hotel. You are right, the other resorts are not a great fit for me, although I like being on the Disney property. I wouldn't stay at Universal because I'm strictly a Disney girl :).

Different strokes for different folks, right?

I admit, I am a princess and I like my creature comforts.

Another Poly fan! And I've stayed at all the resorts you are considering. Not a fan of the contemporary, it just feels cold to me. Poly theming is so much nicer. Just returned from 12 nights at beach club villas which I love but agree with other posters that for your trip Poly would be better .

Another vote for the Poly. The location and wonderful resort atmosphere can't be beat. Restaurants are great and monorail/boat access is perfect. We love Ohana - it is a must do restaurant for breakfast and dinner on every trip we take. Capt. cooks is excellent for a quick breakfast or lunch. My kids love the poly pool. We had reservations to stay at the Beach Club on one trip. My kids went to the pool and enjoyed it but it was very busy and made it hard to watch my little ones. The rooms were also smaller. I love the size of the rooms at the Poly. If you have to keep your eye on 4 kids, the large BC pool may be overwhelming. The theming of the resorts you are trying to choose from are all very different as are the amenities. Decide what is most important to you - location, dining, resort size, room size, price...... and that may help narrow it down. We are all going to have our favorites on this board and truely you can't go wrong at any of the resorts on your list. Choose whatever will bring you less stress and more fun! If this is a one time trip, make it exactly what you and your kids will love! Good luck and let us know what you decide

A big issue for me was that it was not disclosed to me that my room would be in the G Wing. When I think of the Contemporary I think of the main tower. I didn't even know an annex existed and so I did not make an educated decision when I decided to put down $2300 on four nights. I would not have chosen to spend that kind of $ on the annex. (My friend calls it "the annex" LOL!).

You make it sound like I'm lazy. Maybe I am projecting? What I'm saying is that after you've walked around the parks all day long, most people just want to chill out as quickly as possible once they arrive at the hotel. You are right, the other resorts are not a great fit for me, although I like being on the Disney property. I wouldn't stay at Universal because I'm strictly a Disney girl :).

Different strokes for different folks, right?

I admit, I am a princess and I like my creature comforts.

I agree with you on the garden wing - although I was a child, we stayed at CR in the early 80's in the garden wing and I still thought the main building was a different resort. :rotfl:

In your situation, I would say either CR or Poly for access to MK. Rooms at both will be large, giving you and the kids plenty of room. Garden Wing rooms may be far from hotel services, but so can some of the longhouse rooms at Poly. To me, the big difference of the two is theming--not sure your kids will mind either way--but I much prefer Poly. Not much of a theme at CR, but the rooms are very nice. Deciding factor for you, however, could be the pool--by far, Poly hands down--not even close. Is that worth the extra $100 bucks per night for 6 nights? We can't make that decision for U! Hope you're able to keep everyone together in the parks--that's quite a crew for you to supervise on your own. Good luck and I hope you and the kids have a wonderful experience!

I would say Poly or Beach Club. I've stayed at both. I prefer the Beach Club for its theming, swimming pool and quick walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk. The pool even has a lazy river. We found the CMs at the Beach Club super-friendly and efficient. Also, the lobby is lovely. However, a lot of people love the Poly. While I wasn't among them the two times I've stayed there, it is extremely convenient and recently renovated. I have not stayed at the Contemporary, but it doesn't have the theming that the other properties have. Part of what is special about Disney resorts is all the little touches that contribute to the larger theme. While the Contemporary is certainly great in terms of location, it reminds me of the Hyatt at the Orlando airport---a very nice property, but not special. I haven't stayed there because I don't think I would feel that I was getting deluxe value for my money when the other resorts have so much more theming. The Poly definitely is thorough in its theming, a unique part of Disney history and you can walk to both monorail stations. Also, the Poly beach is a great place to watch the fireworks. I have not stayed at the POR, but I did tour the property. It is a really nice resort, but if you think this may be your one and only trip to WDW, go for a deluxe---either Poly or BC.

For budgetary reasons, I'd pick POR. The savings would pay for some of your TS meals. That, and POR is a wonderful resort. It also doesn't make a lot of sense to me to pay the premium for a better pool for the whole week when you'll only be using it on one day. I'd avoid the CR for the lackluster pool and inconvenient location of the Garden Wing rooms.

That said, if you're going big, just go for the Poly. It's my favorite of the resorts your listed, and it has some GREAT dining options. (You can get Dole Whips EVERY DAY!)

A big issue for me was that it was not disclosed to me that my room would be in the G Wing.

You make it sound like I'm lazy. Maybe I am projecting? What I'm saying is that after you've walked around the parks all day long, most people just want to chill out as quickly as possible once they arrive at the hotel. You are right, the other resorts are not a great fit for me, although I like being on the Disney property. I wouldn't stay at Universal because I'm strictly a Disney girl.

I wasn't meaning to imply that you are lazy at all. I totally agree with what said. Though for me, I'd put the emphasis on how I value my time. time=money. If walking 10 feet extra saves 15minutes of my time, (say entering a park), then I'll happily walk to the shortest queue. what drives me a little nutty though is the way that just about EVERY WDW path winds as much as possible.

If you have never tried US (or not for a long time), it is very worthwhile, IMO.

I too would be upset if I didn't know the location of the garden wing rooms. I also agree WDW doesn't always do a great job of communicating details like that.

I've had multiple conversations over the years that were kind of funny when asking about a "bay Lake view tower room" at CR. Many of the phone CM's don't understand, and confuse that with the similarly named DVC Bay Lake Tower next door. I can't believe that name was approved. Just dumb.

Then again, I'm also surprised that the odd CR (tower room) sinks were ever approved. OH, OP, that is something to know about CR, the bathroom sinks are kind of bizarre. There are technically two sinks, but they are VERY shallow, square, and flat. So flat that water doesn't drain out of them. There's a permanent puddle until they are wiped. There's also no bathroom counter space. What many folks end up doing is using one of the sinks as counter space. Except you can put anything electric in a skink! I'm so surprised the whole layout was ever approved! the upside of Cr, is that there is ample desk/shelf space outside the bathroom compared to many other hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter