Please Help - Late Dining & Young Baby

As others have said, you have several options! Stay one the waitlist for early dining, and call periodically to check if you've been moved. If that doesn't work, once onboard the ship, head straight to wherever the Navigator says for dining changes, and ask about being moved to first seating.

Your idea about putting baby in the nursery around the normal bedtime and having him to go sleep there is a very good idea, too. Even if you get moved to first seating, you may want to do this a couple nights to enjoy dinner with your partner!

And, if you want or need to skip the dining room some nights, there are several flex options:
1. Cabanas (except first and last night)
2. Quick service options by the pool (pizza and grill items)
3. Room service

We have done 19 cruises starting when our DD was 1 and she is now 6. We have done main dining on every cruise we have taken other than the last one a couple of month ago...........................and we will never do second seating again.

It is just too late for our family to eat and have a good experience. We are much better eating earlier and not having her nod off at dinner because she is so tired.

Just what works for us. Good luck.

I can't offer better advice other than what's already been stated. However, I wanted to wish you luck for a great cruise! I have early sleepers, too, and changing their bedtimes for a busy vacation would make them extra sleepy (and a little grouchy) at night and the following day- not fun for them or us. Regardless, from what I've seen on this board over and over again, it will work out one way or another! In some cases, the dining room will even contact you each day to let you know that a family won't be dining and offer their table for the evening. Best wishes for a great trip!

I am so happy I found this thread! I booked yesterday for an August cruise and we're waitlisted for main seating. The problem is that my DS is a newly diagnosed diabetic and if we don't keep to a basic schedule for meals he gets very sick. You're all giving me hope that we will get into main seating!

I am so happy I found this thread! I booked yesterday for an August cruise and we're waitlisted for main seating. The problem is that my DS is a newly diagnosed diabetic and if we don't keep to a basic schedule for meals he gets very sick. You're all giving me hope that we will get into main seating!

In your situation I would call DCL special services and note that need on your reservation. Your case is a medical necessity and requires accommodation.

In your situation I would call DCL special services and note that need on your reservation. Your case is a medical necessity and requires accommodation.

My travel agent did note it on the reservation for dining and for the kids' club and she is going to get me the phone numbers I need for that also. I'm just such a worrier.

Have you accounted for any time zone change? I ask because we live on the west coast and when sailing from the east coast, the late dining time actually coincided with when our kids would eat normally. We just kept them on the west coast clock so to speak.

My travel agent did note it on the reservation for dining and for the kids' club and she is going to get me the phone numbers I need for that also. I'm just such a worrier.
Daze-That was us. My son isn't newly diagnosed but is a type 1 and no way he can eat that late or it would seriously mess up his numbers. I called every week and they kept noting it on the account. Eventually we were switched. If you don't get switched then ask as soon as you get onboard. PS everything OK? Is there anything you need? I'm pretty well connected in the diabetes community and can offer information or support groups if you need it!

If I can just add a question to this thread....we're waitlisted for main dining for our cruise in January 2020. I see a lot of people mentioning that they call and/or chat with an agent about switching, but does this help your case any more if you're already waitlisted? We're booked through a TA so I'm not sure if they would just direct me back to them anyways? Thanks!

Daze-That was us. My son isn't newly diagnosed but is a type 1 and no way he can eat that late or it would seriously mess up his numbers. I called every week and they kept noting it on the account. Eventually we were switched. If you don't get switched then ask as soon as you get onboard. PS everything OK? Is there anything you need? I'm pretty well connected in the diabetes community and can offer information or support groups if you need it!

Thank you so much! How sweet of you to ask. I have some experience with T1D because my mother was diabetic from the time she was 16. My only concern right now is being on the cruise and trying to guess at the carbs so we can give him the right dosage of insulin. So far we've been home and I can just look at wrappers and boxes.

If I can just add a question to this thread....we're waitlisted for main dining for our cruise in January 2020. I see a lot of people mentioning that they call and/or chat with an agent about switching, but does this help your case any more if you're already waitlisted? We're booked through a TA so I'm not sure if they would just direct me back to them anyways? Thanks!
In theory, no.

But, it's often suggested, once you're on the waiting list to give DCL a call periodically to "confirm" that you're on the wait list (basically the "squeaky wheel" theory).

It's been reported by some that, on occasion, they've gotten a CM who was able to make the switch for them.

In theory, no.

But, it's often suggested, once you're on the waiting list to give DCL a call periodically to "confirm" that you're on the wait list (basically the "squeaky wheel" theory).

It's been reported by some that, on occasion, they've gotten a CM who was able to make the switch for them.
Thanks for the response!

Thank you so much! How sweet of you to ask. I have some experience with T1D because my mother was diabetic from the time she was 16. My only concern right now is being on the cruise and trying to guess at the carbs so we can give him the right dosage of insulin. So far we've been home and I can just look at wrappers and boxes.
We call it SWAG (Scientific Wild A-- Guess). Thats what happens whenever we travel!

Wow, I'm so touched and overwhelmed by how incredibly helpful everyone is here! When I made the account to ask the question, I was hoping for maybe one or two replies from people with experience hoping no one would judge me for being so worried about my baby's bedtime -- I didn't expect so many super kind and thoughtful answers and tips. I feel like crying, everyone is so nice. Thank you everyone so much! I'm writing down all of your advice and opinions, including but not limited to not worrying too much at this point <3
In Alaska the onboard times are later, maybe you could have some early dinners at a local restaurant close to the port.
This site is very helpful where you can find suggestions where others have tried. I have used this for our upcoming Alaska cruise. We will be eating local at Ketchikan & Skagway

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter