Please help me be "happy" about SSR

I think SSR is the most underrated DVC resort. You are right that the location is not the best, and it's not as well themed as some others, but as others have stated, it has beautiful grounds and feels newer and nicer than a lot of the others. The pool situation there is nicer than most as well.

When we were in a hurry toget to a reservation somewhere other than Disney Springs, we simply used Uber, and that worked out great

Can you tell me where exactly the uber would drop you for each park? I know at MK they will drop you at the contemporary but how about the other parks? Are they allowed to drive up to the gates or at least close? We are headed to SSR Monday and while I'm super excited, I am concerned about transportation. We figured we would use Uber quite a bit as I am impatient for buses.

Give it a chance, experience it for yourself. Do not go with negative thoughts. You will be back. We do not own here. We have stayed at SSR quiet a few times. Like everyone has said, it is a lovely resort, beautiful grounds, spa, DS, great counter service, golf, etc.

What I miss about SSR is the hotel lobby. It feels like I'm staying at a rented condo instead of a "deluxe resort". That's not good or bad it's just different (haven't stayed at OKW either for same reason).

I am however very thankful for SSR as it seems to be the only place I book due to the last minute trips!

Like you, I thought I wouldn't like SSR because it was so far away from everything. The only experience I had with it was accidentally getting stuck on a bus that made a million stops there one day and I was like "It takes too long to get anywhere this is terrible!!"

BUT

Our very first stay as DVC members was Saratoga Springs. We're owners at the Grand Floridian Villas, but couldn't get a reservation there for our first night, but could get one at SSR. I was 7 months pregnant at that point (and so huuuuuge everyone thought I was having twins!) so I was pretty unhappy that we were staying at the far away resort. When we got there though? I LOVED it! It was, to be a Disney cliche, MAGICAL! We could see Disney Springs across the river from our room and see the big hot air balloon going up and down! A short walk away was a pool that also basically overlooked the river and it was GORGEOUS and it wasn't even the main pool! We even ended up walking around the grounds and walking to and from Disney Springs (even though I was more like waddling) and we just really loved the place. We even found the bus situation was fine the next day when we went off to the parks.

So don't be disappointed, you might love it like I do! Now when I can't get a reservation 7 months out for another resort I'm always like "Don't worry, we can stay at Saratoga again! That view was so amazing!" :)

Can you tell me where exactly the uber would drop you for each park? I know at MK they will drop you at the contemporary but how about the other parks? Are they allowed to drive up to the gates or at least close? We are headed to SSR Monday and while I'm super excited, I am concerned about transportation. We figured we would use Uber quite a bit as I am impatient for buses.

We did not use uber to MK, but yes the Contemporary would have been the choice there.
Actually, the uber drivers picked us up at our building at SSR twice, and once from the main lobby of SSR (that's probably the easiest by explanation to the drivers). Also we used it from DS once when we exited from the marketplace and they picked us up there.
We used uber to get to the Grand Floidian once. And at AK and EP the uber drivers left us off at the entrance ( or certainly close to it). Just like if you would have used a taxi, I guess. We didn't go to HS.
I would say we never had to wait more then 5 minutes for a driver.

Like I said, if we were in a hurry to make a reservation somewhere, we took uber. Otherwise the Congress Park bus stop was near by and it was no big deal. I'm used to taking the buses at Disney.
You shouldn't worry about the transportation - delays can happen at any resort. But as far as being concerned about it prior to your trip, I really don't think it's necessary : )

I have a friend who is at SSR now and I'm so jealous. Have fun!

We did not use uber to MK, but yes the Contemporary would have been the choice there.
Actually, the uber drivers picked us up at our building at SSR twice, and once from the main lobby of SSR (that's probably the easiest by explanation to the drivers). Also we used it from DS once when we exited from the marketplace and they picked us up there.
We used uber to get to the Grand Floidian once. And at AK and EP the uber drivers left us off at the entrance ( or certainly close to it). Just like if you would have used a taxi, I guess. We didn't go to HS.
I would say we never had to wait more then 5 minutes for a driver.

Like I said, if we were in a hurry to make a reservation somewhere, we took uber. Otherwise the Congress Park bus stop was near by and it was no big deal. I'm used to taking the buses at Disney.
You shouldn't worry about the transportation - delays can happen at any resort. But as far as being concerned about it prior to your trip, I really don't think it's necessary : )

I have a friend who is at SSR now and I'm so jealous. Have fun!
Thanks so much! It is a small concern. We are used to the Boardwalk and I love to be able to walk to 2 parks and just the one bus stop when we did have to wait. But super excited to hopefully be in Congress Park where the only request we made was close to the DS walking path. We love to eat and drink so being walkable to DS is super exciting!! I just have no idea how long it takes to get to parks from SSR or how long a walk it is from Congress Park to the SSR main Lobby. Live and learn I guess!

Thanks so much! It is a small concern. We are used to the Boardwalk and I love to be able to walk to 2 parks and just the one bus stop when we did have to wait. But super excited to hopefully be in Congress Park where the only request we made was close to the DS walking path. We love to eat and drink so being walkable to DS is super exciting!! I just have no idea how long it takes to get to parks from SSR or how long a walk it is from Congress Park to the SSR main Lobby. Live and learn I guess!

I totally understand about the convenience of BWV. It kind of spoils you, doesn't it?!

I would allow some extra time at the bus stop when using the bus to get to the parks because SSR is so big, so you never know...
Having said that, our trips to the parks from the resort buses seemed pretty "regular".
If you end up in the Springs section there's not much of a walk to the lobby at all. If you are in the Congress Park section, it's a walk that takes a few minutes, but most walks at Disney take at least a few minutes. It didn't seem that bad to me. I feel like I walk tons at Disney no matter what we're trying to do , but that's a good thing since we eat so much while we're there : )

It has the best dining (best quality choice and value for money) and best nightime none park place to visit in shopping and street entertainers etc within a short walk away. It is also peaceful with very nice grounds. It is massively underrated. Many people haven't been to or factored in just how good DTD is nowadays. Try Boathouse, Homecoming and the Mexican Frontera Cocina. Quick service- Blaze Pizza, De Luxe Burger, Wolfgang Puck, Earl of Sandwich,

My original purchase was BLT when sales first started which came with matching developer points to be used at SSR. If they hadn't been free, I honestly would likely have never stayed at SSR. For some reason, it just didn't appeal to me at all and I had it in my mind I wouldn't be happy. I couldn't have been more WRONG! It is at the top of our 3 favorite DVC resorts (BLT not making that list btw). It is so peaceful, close to Disney Springs and beautiful, I couldn't have been happier. In fact, when recently putting in a contract on a new DVC contract, it really didn't matter to me where my home resort was since SSR was always the most available in general. It's wonderful, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as I was!

1. Best community hall and cast
  2. Turf Club - patio dining
  3. Artist Palette
  4. High Top Springs pool followed by all others
  5. Cast members are aces
  6. Boat to Disney Springs
  7. Walk to Disney Springs
  8. Lovely walking/biking paths
  9. Pool activities at High Top Springs
  10. Beautiful, quiet rooms with great views

Let me just say that I understand how you feel...before we bought DVC we stayed at the BW area mostly, Swan/Dolphin, or whatever we could get on a discount. Eventually we bought DVC and bought at BWV. Love the location and nothing beats popping into EPCOT for the evening from there. But over time I will admit that we have really grown to like and appreciate both OKW and SSR. So while it may not be your first choice, if you don't get your waitlists, you may find that it's quite enjoyable and the next time you come down you might even consider it as a viable option. You will build memories there...

We love SSR and continue to be very happy with every stay there. We spent Christmas there 2 years ago with our entire family. They had Christmas activities for the kids every night. One night they had Donald there to meet and greet, and on Christmas Eve they had Santa - with sugar cookies and lemonade. There was no rush - we took many, many pictures. We are never disappointed with SSR and we have stayed at many other resorts on property.

We have stayed there 2 times and love the property. We like the congress park location for DS. We usually drive to the parks since DVC get free parking, so the buses don't make a difference to us.

My favorite moderate is POR and SSR has similar feel so really like it. Love the boat ride to DS. I'm more into the peaceful resorts. Don't get me wrong, love BCV and BLT and will stay there again, but I actually like the quiet pools. :)

I used to think "meh" when I thought about SSR....but NOT ANYMORE...THE NEW DISNEY SPRINGS IS A GAME CHANGER!! You will have a fabulous time!! After a fun full day of festivities the quite peace of SSR will welcome you back and you will enjoy it!!

1. Best community hall and cast
  2. Turf Club - patio dining
  3. Artist Palette
  4. High Top Springs pool followed by all others
  5. Cast members are aces
  6. Boat to Disney Springs
  7. Walk to Disney Springs
  8. Lovely walking/biking paths
  9. Pool activities at High Top Springs
  10. Beautiful, quiet rooms with great views
This post sums it up. It's a great resort and you will love it! I have to say, I don't think there is a bad dvc resort.

I think SSR is the most underrated DVC resort. You are right that the location is not the best, and it's not as well themed as some others, but as others have stated, it has beautiful grounds and feels newer and nicer than a lot of the others. The pool situation there is nicer than most as well.

Can't say i was particularly impressed, especially with the pools (used the main one & the carousel section). There's a DVC accommodation for every member's tastes. My then 5 y.o. GD who is a regular, asked why we weren't staying "at disney" that trip. Her favorite thing there wound up being the donald statue @ the pool.

I certainly was happy enough to be able to land there using extra points i had onhand VS paying cash somewhere onsite or off just a few months' out during a busy time:thumbsup2. Visited DS once that visit, was nice to be able to take the boat over vs dealing with the parking lot.

OP it's a lovely time of year to visit, I'm sure you will enjoy your first trip "home" and all the others to come.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter