Please help me decipher if this is a scam...

kstgelais4

DIS Veteran
I listed something on craigslist a few weeks ago. It didn't sell for that price and I really want it gone so relisted it for a new lower price or BO. I have gotten a few responses on the new lower price, but no commitment. Today I got an emailfrom a guy who reponded to the higher priced ad. He told me he was interested and wanted to know if it was in good condition and still available. I replied that it was and that I really needed it gone, so to make an offer. This was his reply
Thanks for the message....am satisfied with the price. I will like tomake an outright purchase.I will proceed in issuing out a certifiedcheck to you and upon the confirmation and clearance of payment i willcome for the pick-up at your location.please get back to me with your Full Name to be witting on the check Home Address (NOT POST BOX)Your city and zip codephone numberThe payment will be mailed out IMMEDIATELY to you when i receive theinformation.Please do withdraw the advert from Craigslist,so i can berest assured that it is sold to me.Kindly get back to me asap.** I use a hearing impaired phone # and will receive your calls via email ** Thanks once again

Scam right?

Yup, I'd say scam. I would only deal with cash and face to face deals when using craigslist. Never accept a paypal payment or check mailed to you, money transfers, etc.

No way would I ever give out my home address to some stranger on CL. I'd say no deal and run the other way!

I listed something on craigslist a few weeks ago. It didn't sell for that price and I really want it gone so relisted it for a new lower price or BO. I have gotten a few responses on the new lower price, but no commitment. Today I got an emailfrom a guy who reponded to the higher priced ad. He told me he was interested and wanted to know if it was in good condition and still available. I replied that it was and that I really needed it gone, so to make an offer. This was his reply
Thanks for the message....am satisfied with the price. I will like tomake an outright purchase.I will proceed in issuing out a certifiedcheck to you and upon the confirmation and clearance of payment i willcome for the pick-up at your location.please get back to me with your Full Name to be witting on the check Home Address (NOT POST BOX)Your city and zip codephone numberThe payment will be mailed out IMMEDIATELY to you when i receive theinformation.Please do withdraw the advert from Craigslist,so i can berest assured that it is sold to me.Kindly get back to me asap.** I use a hearing impaired phone # and will receive your calls via email ** Thanks once again

Scam right?

Yep, it's a scam. My bank informed me about such a scam. They are fake certified checks. Some of these scammers are trying to get your bank information too. Then, they will clean out your bank account.

I'd be careful about meeting with these people. Police advise to meet at a public place, even a police station, to make the exchange of money. Thieves are robbing people when they come for the for sale item. Taking the item and robbing you of the cash for it...along with whatever else you have on you at that time.

Be careful.

Yup, scam. Girl in my office just got hit with it again. SHe was selling a mattress of $500.00. Some "Dr from Africa" sent a certified check from a trucking company for $6,000. Yup, thousands more than the amount! She calling the trucking company and was informed they have been getting 100's of calls with this scam. She sent the "Dr" an email requesting he call her and he did!!! She asked him why if he is a dr in africa he needed a mattress and had a trucking company, he promptly hung up!

Hi,

DEFINITELY A SCAM!!!

I had this happen to me on e-bay they sent the check even though I told them no and no and no.

The reason they want a real address and not a PO is because they send these checks via UPS so they aren't subject to Federal laws and punishment. If somehow they do send you a check don't open it contact UPS tell them what happened and so they can report the sender to the government for fraud. Have them come and take the check back. Also report it to your local police department.

Yep, it's a scam. My bank informed me about such a scam. They are fake certified checks. Some of these scammers are trying to get your bank information too. Then, they will clean out your bank account.

I'd be careful about meeting with these people. Police advise to meet at a public place, even a police station, to make the exchange of money. Thieves are robbing people when they come for the for sale item. Taking the item and robbing you of the cash for it...along with whatever else you have on you at that time.

Be careful.

I understand the seriousness of the message you are trying to get across but the part I bolded cracked me up. Some how I don't think my local Police Department wants to be the pickup spot for local craigslist sales. ;)

Did you really have to ask this question?

Yes. I did.

Thank you everyone else for your non judgemental comments. You just reiterated what I already thought. I just hope I can get rid of this item to a non scammer. lol.

yes the same exact email was sent to my dad about a year ago. RUN!!!:goodvibes

On our local (Rochester NY) news today there was a report of homes for rent in our area on Craig's List....owners had their homes listed for sale with real estate companies, not Craig's List. One woman was interested in renting a home from someone who was away on an extended visit to Africa....fortunately she drove by the home to look at it and there was an open house....the scam then came to light!

I love how the scammers are always willing to pay the higher price, and will often give you extra money for your troubles. :rotfl2: If they were smart, they'd at least dicker a bit to try and make themselves look like a real buyer.

Same thing happened here to a family member selling on Craigslist. The buyer told her that they would send a cashiers check and needed the item shipped. He then sent an email and said that the cashier check was mistakenly made for a larger amount and wanted her to cash it and send her the money back Western Union...convenient since EVERYONE always goes to the bank, gets a cashiers check for the wrong amount, wants to buy from craigslist and thinks that the other person is their personal banker!

I guess it takes all kinds...:scared1:

Scam right?

S C A M :eek:
RUN do not walk!

Yes, sounds like a scam. However, craigslist isn't all bad. We've sold a lot and purchased enough from craigslist. Try to meet at a public place though. If you can't, I always make sure my hubby is with me. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter