Please help me problem solve

Candlz

PartyLite on VMK
We are at The Animal Kingdom Lodge. We live 90 miles away. We drove here and are supposed to check out on Saturday. Last night we were at Down Town Disney an our car wouldn't start. We called AAA and as it turns out - it wasn't the battery, our starter is gone. We can have the car towed home through AAA but we need to rent an SUV to get home.

Any suggestions on the least expensive way to make that happen...

BTW - renting an SUV through AAA looks like it will be $178 if we pick it up today at noon having it for the day here and returning it at at home on Sunday.

We are at The Animal Kingdom Lodge. We live 90 miles away. We drove here and are supposed to check out on Saturday. Last night we were at Down Town Disney an our car wouldn't start. We called AAA and as it turns out - it wasn't the battery, our starter is gone. We can have the car towed home through AAA but we need to rent an SUV to get home.

Any suggestions on the least expensive way to make that happen...

Do you have any kind of coverage through your insurance (not sure if that would only be in case of accident)?

I would call around or check online. You can do rentals through AAA with a member discount. Also, check both onsite WDW rental options and the airport. You would need to get back to airport but it could be worth it if a good sized price difference. The onsite car places will pick you up at the resort

Good luck!

Are there any neighbors/ family members you could call?

I would come and get you but I live a little futher then 90 miles....

Just a thought.....if you find a cheaper car @ the airport/ get with the front desk, let then know what has happened and see if you could get to the airport on the Magical Express

good luck!

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

The only trouble with getting a ride from a friend would be that we have a family of 5 (including 2 infant car seats and a huge stroller and luggage for 5 people)

Rentals are more expensive when you do a one way rental. Can you arrange to drive that rental home and return it to the same place within the 24 hours by having someone follow you back to return it? a lot of driving, but may save $$.

It probably would not be any cheaper but mat be less stressful. Check with a Towncar Service and see what that would cost to get you guy's back home. At least you would not have to worry about obtaining a rental and then returning it.

If you have a second vehicle at home a second option may be to rent a car from Alamo onsite. Get a rental car that will at least get you guy's home. You can check your luggage at Bell Services and have them keep it overnight. Then you guy's can return the next day to drop off the rental and pick up your luggage.

Can you check with repair shops in the Disney area and see if anyone could fix it today?

I agree with this! As long as they have the starter in stock, it shouldn't take long to swap it out. That would save you the cost of a rental. AAA should be able to help you with a reputable repair shop or take it to a dealer.

I agree with this! As long as they have the starter in stock, it shouldn't take long to swap it out. That would save you the cost of a rental. AAA should be able to help you with a reputable repair shop or take it to a dealer.

Yea this is just like deciding whether or not free dining is a good deal or not.

You need to add up all the costs and see if getting it fixed locally quickly, maybe even staying an extra day at a value, is cheaper than towing it home and also getting a rental.

Isn't the car care center a full service shop.

The AAA Car Care Center on property can handle a starter repair -- they replaced our radiator last December after our trans oil cooler broke loose and punched a hole in it.

It's actually a Gemini-affiliated center, so their warranty covers you across the country.

They did a good job, and had it back to us in the afternoon after we dropped it off that morning.

Can you check with repair shops in the Disney area and see if anyone could fix it today?

This is the route we are trying now. I was so upset I couldn't even see straight this morning. My husband is taking Disney transportation to DTD to have the car towed to the AAA car care center. With a little bit a luck (which we seem to be lacking atm) we should be able to get it fixed there.

Meanwhile - I am 'stuck' at the AKL sipping coffee on a balcony looking at giraffes - not how I planned my Friday, but apparently I needed some time to count all the things I should be Thankful for. Of all the places to be 'stuck' this is a darned good one!

You guys are awesome - Thank you!

Meanwhile - I am 'stuck' at the AKL sipping coffee on a balcony looking at giraffes - not how I planned my Friday, but apparently I needed some time to count all the things I should be Thankful for.

You're not really 'stuck' -- you could take a park bus and have DH meet you there when the car's in the shop...

That's what we did -- the fam went to Epcot and I met them there after I dropped off the van and picked up a rental for the day...

You're not really 'stuck' -- you could take a park bus and have DH meet you there when the car's in the shop...

That's what we did -- the fam went to Epcot and I met them there after I dropped off the van and picked up a rental for the day...

She has (2) 1 year olds and a 9 year old...she probably doesnt want to hit the parks without hubby...I know I wont.

I know this seems huge but the Car Care Center is in the business of handling these repairs and they are pretty efficient. I imagine you will have your car back today.

Liz

The babies are a sleep and there is no way I wld take a Disney bus and 3 kids to the park all by myself, lol. Nope, I am staying put - and chillin' with the Giraffes... I may start naming them...

I know this seems huge but the Car Care Center is in the business of handling these repairs and they are pretty efficient. I imagine you will have your car back today.

Liz

I sure hope so. I am trying very very hard to make the best of things right now.

The babies napped, the resort is beautiful - we have the $$ in savings in case of an emergency...

This isn't how I planned things but at least we are prepared...

However it turns out, you are in all of our prayers...:grouphug:

At least you are in a safe place.....

And keep us posted

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter