Please help! Sapphire Falls or Portofino Bay

Scootypuffjr

Mouseketeer
WDW vets going on our first trip to the dark side. It's me, DH, and DS6. DS6 is a huge Harry Potter fan which is our primary reason for going. We are going in the middle of October and I can't decide between 6 nights at Sapphire falls for $1045 or 5 nights at Portofino for $1481. When we're at WDW we try to stay at the deluxes, but sometimes stay at POR. DH isn't necessarily a fan of rides, but he does it for us so we usually spend time exploring the resorts, finding good restaurants, and hanging at the pool. We plan to do Volcano Bay at least one day (maybe two) and to go over to WDW for MNSSHP one night. Which hotel would you choose and why?

I'd choose the royal pacific personally. Less money than portofino and you get express passes. I wouldn't do it without express passes, but that's me. You could do a night at cabana bay which has a nice pool to save costs as well and align that with volcano bay that doesn't give fast passes for hotel guests.

I'd choose the royal pacific personally. Less money than portofino and you get express passes. I wouldn't do it without express passes, but that's me. You could do a night at cabana bay which has a nice pool to save costs as well and align that with volcano bay that doesn't give fast passes for hotel guests.

Royal Pacific doesn't have anything available and Cabana Bay reminds me too much of Pop which DH was not a fan of. Thanks for your help though!

I've never stayed at either of your choices (have done Royal Pacific twice and Hard Rock once) but of your two, I would probably chose Portofino Bay. Express passes are a big benefit of Universal for us!

I've never stayed at either of your choices (have done Royal Pacific twice and Hard Rock once) but of your two, I would probably chose Portofino Bay. Express passes are a big benefit of Universal for us!

Do you think they are necessary in mid-October? Crowd calendars are predicting 4-6 and we will not be riding any of the big coasters.

Do you think they are necessary in mid-October? Crowd calendars are predicting 4-6 and we will not be riding any of the big coasters.

Then maybe not. I've only ever been during holiday / school vacation weeks, so my perspective is skewed toward the busy times - and we're coaster people. Sapphire Falls does look like a really great resort and - I just looked it up - you still get early entry to the Harry Potter section (which is another must for us!) Since it gives you the extra day, I'll change my vote and say go for it!

Then maybe not. I've only ever been during holiday / school vacation weeks, so my perspective is skewed toward the busy times - and we're coaster people. Sapphire Falls does look like a really great resort and - I just looked it up - you still get early entry to the Harry Potter section (which is another must for us!) Since it gives you the extra day, I'll change my vote and say go for it!

Thank you! I have no experience with this so it's so hard to make a decision. Your input really helps!

HHN event will bring in crowds to the park, especially on the weekends.

If you want to stay onsite, book soon as rooms fill up on the weekends and some week nights depending on hotel and room type.
My choice would be pbh and not sf due to the unlimited ep.

Studios closes every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 5:00 pm in October
Parks are cleared out as hhn special ticket event begins at 6 - 6:30 pm.

IOA wil be open until probably 8:00 pm

I glanced at the October calendar and saw some days for that park closing either 7 or 8....

Royal Pacific doesn't have anything available and Cabana Bay reminds me too much of Pop which DH was not a fan of. Thanks for your help though!

Cabana bay is quite a bit different than pop, but if you don't like it, you don't like it. No biggee. Then portofino probably your best bet. As for needing express passes. I've been before when express passes technically weren't needed, the lines weren't huge for anything, but then we didn't pay a lot for the express passes that day. But I don't like waiting in lines and I'd rather not take the chance. Better to know you have it and not need it, then to wish you did have it.

WDW vets going on our first trip to the dark side. It's me, DH, and DS6. DS6 is a huge Harry Potter fan which is our primary reason for going. We are going in the middle of October and I can't decide between 6 nights at Sapphire falls for $1045 or 5 nights at Portofino for $1481. When we're at WDW we try to stay at the deluxes, but sometimes stay at POR. DH isn't necessarily a fan of rides, but he does it for us so we usually spend time exploring the resorts, finding good restaurants, and hanging at the pool. We plan to do Volcano Bay at least one day (maybe two) and to go over to WDW for MNSSHP one night. Which hotel would you choose and why?

Although we exclusively stay at RP, I have to say Sapphire Falls is extremely beautiful.

We were given a private tour of the whole hotel last year and I was surprised how much we liked it. It's also so much nice than CBay which I have an irrational (according to some) dislike of the look and feel of the place.

You would get EE with SF. Yes, you are missing EP but if rides aren't your total priority then you'd be fine without it. We wouldn't be without EP, but you're not us......:D sounds like you'd be fine without it.

PBH is also gorgeous........you have a nice dilemma to have, and whichever you end up choosing, I'm sure you'll be delighted with your choice.

Be aware of the nights HHN is on during your trip. Studios will close at 5 on those days.

As WDW vets, Express is a really cool experience. Imagine having fastpasses for everything! However, based on your needs and losing a day with PBR, I'd pick Sapphire. You still get the boat transportation and early entry. The pool area is better than PBR and the hotel grounds are at least as good as the Disney Deluxes (IMO). We toured the resort during our last trip and really came away impressed.

Personally (and it's so subjective) but I'd stay at Portofino. It's the flagship resort at Universal and it's so extremely nice with HUGE rooms. The theming there is really cool and you mention you like to spend time at the resorts.

EPs aren't a need exactly, but once we tried it we can never go back without them. They are unlimited fast passes to use Disney speak. You don't have to pre-book them, you walk up to a ride, and go right in. We typically wait 2-10 minutes in line (yep that's a 2!). My son will ride multiple times on some rides in the time it takes someone to go through the regular line (I have to cut him off and move on because I start to feel guilty). I think it's worth trying and you get them on the day you check in through the day you check out so you can add an extra day in the parks if you have a late flight.

EPs aren't a need exactly, but once we tried it we can never go back without them.

I agree 100%! We stayed off-property our first Universal trip and it was a busy week - Spring Break time. We bought the EPs and loved it. Every trip since then, we've stayed at RPR or PBR so we could get the EP - even in times that weren't that busy! We can't imagine going without!

We've had bad luck at PBR on our last visit. We arrived late - around 9:00pm for check-in. We got our room keys and headed to the hospitality villa wing - the check-in lady told us we were getting a nice upgrade. Anyway, we arrived at the room and the door wouldn't unlock. Called the desk and they sent someone up with new keys. Their keys didn't work. Told us to wait there and maintenance would be up. Waited in the hallway by room for 30 more minutes (not exaggerating). Call again. Maintenance on way.. 10 minutes later guy shows up and can't get us in. Asks us to wait. Huh? Meanwhile families are walking up and down the hall and we just feel sort of weird here hanging out with our bags in front of a room we can't get in to.

We walk back to desk and let them know we'll be heading to Citywalk to have dinner - it's 10pm now. Drop bags in baggage area and text front desk to have them deliver to room when they get door fixed. She tells me we are all set and to enjoy dinner. Get back at around midnight - and key still does not work. Have to go back to desk, where they tell us they had to switch rooms. Tell us there was water damage in the room?? New room they assign us is almost the last room in the East wing - a long walk.

They offered us a partial refund and a breakfast voucher, but the whole thing just soured me on PBR. Though the rooms and surroundings are lovely, the people are exceptionally nice, etc - we just had really bad luck.

So if I ever come across somewhat negative on PBR, that's the reason. I realize the door not working is beyond their control - but I guess I just assumed they would have worked a bit harder to find us a replacement immediately after the long wait in the hall. Or maybe text me during dinner to let me know the room had changed and to visit desk first.

And Cabana Bay is way nicer than POP IMO. :)

Thank you everyone for your input! We decided to go with SF since we'll save $400+ and get an extra night. We'll use the extra hour to get as much as we can done in the morning and then head to VB or the pools if it gets crowded and if the lines are too much to handle we'll just pay to add EP on our tickets one or two days. We're really excited and I'm sure you'll see me on here again soon posting with another question about the dark side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter